ANNOUNCEMENT: New Forum Software Coming to MTBR- Mtbr.com
    Administrator Administrator
    Jun 2018

ANNOUNCEMENT: New Forum Software Coming to MTBR

Dear Community Members,

Over the past year or two, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software this site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. Our advertising experience and certain ad partners have further degraded the functionality of the site. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this ultimate user experience to all members.

We will be implementing a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well, and loads faster on all devices, while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn’t seem correct once the site goes live, don’t panic! We’ll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.

What’s next?

I bet you’re thinking, “What does this mean for me and the community?” It does mean change, but it will help solve a large majority of the issues that this site may have been experiencing. We have reviewed reported issues, site statistics, traffic data, and user feedback to help us prioritize the changes and improvements. Uploading an image or video will be easier and streamlined. Ad formatting will change with a new site layout. The site will be more responsive - there is no need to use a mobile skin or special app! Security and user privacy will continue to be a top priority.

When will this be happening? Soon! We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You’ll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration. Once the migration begins, the site will go into maintenance mode and will be read-only while data is being migrated.

We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Community Support
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ANNOUNCEMENT: New Forum Software Coming to MTBR-update.jpg  

since 4/10/2009
    That was a very long-winded way to say what the title covered.

What I'm interested in is whether this is going to come with an updated topic organization with less overlap between boards, or whether you're just going to migrate the existing shitty structure onto new software.

But then again, based on how things have been going here for the past several months, I don't really expect an answer to that question.

Cycologist
    Way to be positive, Harold.

Does this mean everyone's post count goes back to zero?
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post

Let's just say they haven't given me many reasons to be positive about the direction of the forums.

That might have been different if someone had been responding here regarding the problem reports. But silence. So yeah.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Let's just say they haven't given me many reasons to be positive about the direction of the forums.

That might have been different if someone had been responding here regarding the problem reports. But silence. So yeah.
    True. They maybe realized that their cash cow is on the verge of collapsing if they don't prop it up a little to hold together a few more years.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Out spokin'
    True. They maybe realized that their cash cow is on the verge of collapsing if they don't prop it up a little to hold together a few more years.
    2006 called -- it wants its cash cow back.

Meanwhile 2020 has its COVID cow.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Maybe user tagging will be implemented in this update! Hasn't been for the past 2 years when they said "it might". Or something to that effect.

Administrator Administrator
    Jun 2018
    ANNOUNCEMENT: New Forum Software Coming to MTBR-nextstep.jpg

I want to give you an update on the process I use once the site goes live with the new platform.

The night before the site goes live you will see an announcement from me that the site will be going live soon. Once the actual process starts, the site will be in read-only mode while the team does the migration from the old platform to the new one.

Once it goes live you will see an announcement thread created here in this section. All questions and feedback about the new platform should be posted ONLY in that thread.

• You will see me reply to the thread introducing myself.
    • I will add a new signature and avatar to the admin account.

What should you be doing now before this happens?

• Make sure your email address is up to date in your account.
    • If you don't remember your password, now would be a good time to reset it. Save the information.
    • The link that displays all your attachments on the site will not be available, but all attachments will still be in your posts. It might be worth taking the time to browse through the attachment list to see if you want to add anything from there to your albums for easy access later.

When Will This All Happen?

mtbr.com is currently scheduled for December 15th. HOWEVER, the schedule is very fluid, so that could change depending on any complications or schedule changes. I am simply giving you a heads up.

As your dedicated support, during the transition, I will be here with you multiple times a day, answering questions and listening to feedback.

My only request is that you remain patient with me while we work through the changes.

- Cricket

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator

Only for DJ. I put in a special request to get him zeroed out.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBRadmin View Post
    Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process.
    I hate to think of people who are so tethered to something about mtbr that they need soothing talk and support. I've received life altering health news without this amount of dramatics. Lulz.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    All those hours of work.... I'm pretty sure DJ is the hamster and wheel that keep this place going.

Bikes in jeans
    Just about every discussion forum I've been a part of that moved away from vbulletin ended up complete s*** or closing down due to a loss of members running on whatever new platform everything thinks is better, I'm assuming they are moving to Xenforo like the rest of their properties. It's almost always people pushing for better mobile compatibility and they end up ruining the usability for normal browsers or force us to disable ad blockers or features that make the site tolerable and lose their main base of users.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    I hate to think of people who are so tethered to something about mtbr that they need soothing talk and support. I've received life altering health news without this amount of dramatics. Lulz.
    Guessing you don't work in a software field? People FREAK the F out when things change - it's wild.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonp22 View Post
    Guessing you don't work in a software field? People FREAK the F out when things change - it's wild.
    yeah they do. I have been in IT since 2000...... Change is so painful for so many people.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    I call dibs on user names Scott O, Sparticus, and Picard!

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonp22 View Post
    only for 35 years. Eventually, I'll get the hang of it.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    ...already all the same person. Plus Finch Platte & DIRTJUNKIE just for the record.
    =sPicardicus
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

A waste of time it is is
    How to we add photos from our attachments to our albums?

For the record, I am one of those people that hate change.

One ring to mash them all
    Proceed at risk of causing a singularity.
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Real eyes realize real lies.

A waste of time it is is
    I thought post counts were frozen, mine hasn't moved for years

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    I thought post counts were frozen, mine hasn't moved for years
    Posts in the oc don’t get counted
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    And that should change too.
    DAAAANG...that was janky

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Sorry meat, I thought you had seen enough of my posts to realise I was probably being facetious.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Holy crap, flash back from late 90's or was it 04' ? when mtbr switched platforms... Full user reset people were trippen...

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    There have been rumblings about this “update” for a few years now...is it really going to happen

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Ganus View Post
    There have been rumblings about this “update” for a few years now...is it really going to happen
    It'll be the last, fatal stab to the heart of 2020.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

WillWorkForTrail
    I'm just gonna pour myself a strong eggnog and watch the feces show that is sure to ensue. I never enjoyed doing software upgrades for public sites/tools, never mind platform switches. I'm certain if I drink enough eggnog, my amusement will be as boundless as my girth.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Awesome news! My two cents (and just two!):

1. When I "reply with quote" it should go to the bottom of the thread, not buried in the middle. Please.

2. I want to be able to post a photo by simply dragging it into the reply box.

See pugski.com for examples from a small site.

Thanks!
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir kayakalot View Post
    And that should change too.
    Just an attempt to herd cats.
    Don’t know why they don’t just let members post in the recycle bin. Seems like a good way to isolate the crap while also showing the site powers that be do not support or promote such crap
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Maybe not having a post count or that silly green blob?
    GG Shred Dogg 27+/29 (go fast!)
    RSD Wildcat V2 (backyard kicks)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    I want that girl’s name, what was it, Jenny something 😆
    GG Shred Dogg 27+/29 (go fast!)
    RSD Wildcat V2 (backyard kicks)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

since 4/10/2009
    At this point, I'd be happy with a few basics:

Software (with functions) that actually work! Examples: Multiquote, erratic image uploads, no database errors (or other critical server-side BS)

An interface that's not over-cluttered with ads and isn't reliant on ad-servers that serve malicious code that installs malware. This website is the WHOLE REASON I started using ad blockers in the first place. And it comes down to security.

NO POPUPS (or popovers)!!!!!!!!!!!! If what was said above about popups/popovers get used that break the website if an adblocker is used, then I won't visit. You'll forgive me if my lack of trust over online ads isn't resolved immediately.

Content organization that's clean and makes sense even for brand new users. Get rid of fc's "anything goes" litterbox and make the same organization rules apply everywhere.

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    Holy crap, flash back from late 90's or was it 04' ? when mtbr switched platforms... Full user reset people were trippen...
    Yup. That's why a lot of us have the same join date. It was the last cutoff to post without an account. For the youngins here - the original forum software let you free text any user name you wanted with each post. omg the chaos that cause these days. Anyway - back then you could request to francois to have you back dated to when you think you started with mtbr - didn't do that myself but maybe should have for the cred of a 98/99 old fart avatar tat.

Rename "Riding Passion" to just "Passion" and move it back to the top.

Make strikethrough work again.

Fix the weirdness that makes uploaded photos show up twice — once as embedded and again as attachments.

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post

Make strikethrough work again.

Fix the weirdness that makes uploaded photos show up twice — once as embedded and again as attachments.
    That doesn't happen with me. I use the picture icon in the post menu header, choose from file and upload. I have always wondered why it happens with some but thought it was them using the attachment icon

since 4/10/2009
    IF the other aspects of the site organization made sense and were simple to navigate/find what you needed, then I'd support putting it back at the top. The problem with it being at the top was that people just posted whatever shit in there they wanted because they were delirious about the nonsensical organization and didn't want to hunt for the board where their topic fit best. It was also where all the spam went for awhile, since a lot of spammers for a time just posted in the first board on the list.

I also strongly support rolling the photography and video forums back into Passion. They're all aspects of the same thing. Some people tell stories with words. Some with pictures. Some with video. There's no reason they need to be separated.

Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    That doesn't happen with me. I use the picture icon in the post menu header, choose from file and upload. I have always wondered why it happens with some but thought it was them using the attachment icon
    I also use that method. After submitting, I only see the embedded pic. If I go back and edit it, then I see both after saving changes.

IF the other aspects of the site organization made sense and were simple to navigate/find what you needed, then I'd support putting it back at the top.
    A cool feature would be a subscriber-configurable area at the top of their view that has a few "favorite" or subscribed sub-forums. Sort of like Reddit when you're logged in, it shows a horizontal list of subscribed subs.

Cycologist
    lol, so undo pretty much the only thing they have done so far with the site! I guess Phillip is no longer around.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    It was 2003. My post count went to zero and I became a "new" member even though I've been here since 1997.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

since 4/10/2009
    A cool feature would be a subscriber-configurable area at the top of their view that has a few "favorite" or subscribed sub-forums. Sort of like Reddit when you're logged in, it shows a horizontal list of subscribed subs.
    yeah, that would be handy.

Frankly, I just want "it works" and "the organization makes sense" and "it's not a security risk" at this point. My bar is kinda low.

Rippin da fAt
    yeah, that would be handy.

Frankly, I just want "it works" and "the organization makes sense" and "it's not a security risk" at this point. My bar is kinda low.
    Security should be first and foremost... Any advert that is doing any form of clandestine or malicious behavior should be prosecuted.
    And the forum operators wonder where the user numbers have gone... Textbook rocket scientists, they are!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    It was 2003. My post count went to zero and I became a "new" member even though I've been here since 1997.
    There used to be a database that archived the old forums but I can't find it anymore. If you search archive.mtbr.com on the internet wayback machine you might find a link to your user. If you can find it shoot me a link and I will update your join date.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    I am in favor of it being called Passion, but there is no way it should be at the top. The alphabetically list should be in alphabetical order.....

I am hoping to get the new Admin guy to have a sit-down with the mod team before any major changes happen to the basic organization of the site.

Somethings need to change for sure, we don't need a 29er components forum separate from the regular components, etc.

The mods made a big list full of suggestions for the new site ownership a few years ago.... I recently bumped it to the top of the mods forum so hopefully they see it.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I find these forums to be a valuable source of information. I’ve posted questions about maintenance, bike building, trail advocacy and much more. Almost every time I get straight a answer (sometimes in the middle of the night). I also try to return the favor. Personally, I think these forums are better than the competition (of which I am also a member).

I just hope the new software is easy to use and doesn’t scare-off current or prospective users. Please remember that some of us depend on mtbr forums to keep our rides going.

Thank-you

mtbr member
    I am in another forum in germany that is based on the same software I believe. That forum database was hacked and usernames, smailaddresses and passwords were stolen so they shut it down. The passwords are encrypted, but with an old method so the, might be decrypted. If tbis forum is really based on the same software, the update is important.

I did not find an answer here somewhere.
    - Is the forum going to be offline during the update?
    - if yes, how long?
    - is anything else gong to change? Appearance etc?

CU, CD

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    I am in another forum in germany that is based on the same software I believe. That forum database was hacked and usernames, smailaddresses and passwords were stolen so they shut it down. The passwords are encrypted, but with an old method so the, might be decrypted. If tbis forum is really based on the same software, the update is important.

I did not find an answer here somewhere.
    - Is the forum going to be offline during the update?
    - if yes, how long?
    - is anything else gong to change? Appearance etc?

CU, CD
    It will be going to completely new software. Vertical scope is the new owner and will be transferring to their software base. It will be similar to this one I suspect: https://www.vwvortex.com/

I suspect a few days of read only status while they update and check it out then we will be back in. No idea about post count or reputation.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    It will be going to completely new software. Vertical scope is the new owner and will be transferring to their software base. It will be similar to this one I suspect: https://www.vwvortex.com/

I suspect a few days of read only status while they update and check it out then we will be back in. No idea about post count or reputation.
    aw, hell. my hopes of cutting out the forum spew are dashed. hard.

poser Administrator
    aw, hell. my hopes of cutting out the forum spew are dashed. hard.
    I went into the internet wayback machine hoping to find the Old MTBR archive and I found it though it was barely scrapped. What I liked was how compact it was. These VS sites are huge on screen. So much white space. The VS experience is kinda like the new reddit experience vs. the old format. Pretty interface vs. aggregation of data. For our sport aggregation of data works best for me.

LOL I just looked at VW vortex forum choices. What are there more than 100 forums? Talk about forum creep. I used to venture there in their old vbulletin guise when i had VW's. Lots has changed for sure.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member

Vertical Scope? Dear god, no.

I was a moderator on a successful motorcycle forum a couple of decades ago when it was thriving. It went from a few dozen members to hundreds of thousands and it was quite well managed w/o being overbearing by a handful of volunteers. It felt like a small and tight-knit community even though it had such a wide reach.

Vertical Scope came along and "made an offer too good to be refused" to the then-owner. What then happened was a precipitous and painful plummet into obscurity due to a clear and obvious disconnect between new board owner's vision and that of the community.

I have no idea what the forum is up to to this day nor do I care. It's sad to think about once every five to ten years or so like right now. It was a mass exodus and I'm not sure if it ever recovered from that transition. Previous well-known members attempted to stand up something similar but the forking of the community into several factions who supported individual staff members for various reasons ended up ruining it.

I genuinely hope that isn't the case with this forum. I will go into the transition with an open mind hoping that maybe they learned from that experience but I feel a strange urge to be candid about my first-hand experience whenever I hear the name "Vertical Scope" as it elicits nothing but negative memories for me personally.

I also am not naive enough to think that anything I've just said will affect anything you've already decided so.... I for one welcome our new oligarch overlords with open arms!

Up In Smoke
    I'm looking forward to logging back in here in a few months to complain about how much the new changes suck and how they ruined a good thing.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    I'm looking forward to logging back in here in a few months to complain about how much the new changes suck and how they ruined a good thing.
    You will.

At least the thread complaining about the new redesign is only the 9th-most "recommended for you" thread.

Here's a sample. Too much white space and light grey areas.

ANNOUNCEMENT: New Forum Software Coming to MTBR-ddad.jpgANNOUNCEMENT: New Forum Software Coming to MTBR-da.jpg

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
    Vertical Scope? Dear god, no.

I was a moderator on a successful motorcycle forum a couple of decades ago when it was thriving. It went from a few dozen members to hundreds of thousands and it was quite well managed w/o being overbearing by a handful of volunteers. It felt like a small and tight-knit community even though it had such a wide reach.

Vertical Scope came along and "made an offer too good to be refused" to the then-owner. What then happened was a precipitous and painful plummet into obscurity due to a clear and obvious disconnect between new board owner's vision and that of the community.

I have no idea what the forum is up to to this day nor do I care. It's sad to think about once every five to ten years or so like right now. It was a mass exodus and I'm not sure if it ever recovered from that transition. Previous well-known members attempted to stand up something similar but the forking of the community into several factions who supported individual staff members for various reasons ended up ruining it.

I genuinely hope that isn't the case with this forum. I will go into the transition with an open mind hoping that maybe they learned from that experience but I feel a strange urge to be candid about my first-hand experience whenever I hear the name "Vertical Scope" as it elicits nothing but negative memories for me personally.

I also am not naive enough to think that anything I've just said will affect anything you've already decided so.... I for one welcome our new oligarch overlords with open arms!

Considering just how little interaction the new owners have had with the mods I see this happening:
    * New Design is implemented.
    * a few changes are made
    * they disappear and leave the day to day to the mods.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

WillWorkForTrail

Jesus. I hope it doesn't look anything like that. That's the most horrifying thing I've ever looked at. Maybe I need to look at creating a pinkbike account or something...

That's exactly what it's going to look like.

since 4/10/2009
    Considering just how little interaction the new owners have had with the mods I see this happening:
    * New Design is implemented.
    * a few changes are made
    * they disappear and leave the day to day to the mods.
    Indeed.

That said, I don't see many changes being made. After looking at the structure of the other forums they run, the only changes I see being made are adding MOAR FORUMS so they have more pages upon which to serve ads and get more google hits. All while relying on slave labor for everything else (as you say, the day to day).

Pinkbike's forums aren't terribly active, but I could see them getting a spike in activity. Probably bikeforums and prob also other forms of social media.

I'm going to give the new software a fair shake for a spell, but I don't see good things in store based on reports I hear from folks who have experienced a VS sellout.

Cycologist
    Indeed.

That said, I don't see many changes being made. After looking at the structure of the other forums they run, the only changes I see being made are adding MOAR FORUMS so they have more pages upon which to serve ads and get more google hits. All while relying on slave labor for everything else (as you say, the day to day).

Pinkbike's forums aren't terribly active, but I could see them getting a spike in activity. Probably bikeforums and prob also other forms of social media.

I'm going to give the new software a fair shake for a spell, but I don't see good things in store based on reports I hear from folks who have experienced a VS sellout.
    The rise of the kitty!

The rise of the kitty!
    Soaring tacos?