Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Zion EBB - Bottom Bracket Options

635 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jmw 
#1 ·
I've just ordered a Zion 853 EBB frame, decided that the custom frame at three times the price wasnt worth it ... only advantages were Fit, No v-brake boses and no deraileur hanger.

Anyways,

Can the Zion's EBB shell take any style of cranks and bb? I'd like to go to a non-shimano external bearing design (possibly truvativ or race face I think). I'm not building the frame up for a while, so I can wait for more external bearing options to come out if there arent many now.

Also, can someone confirm that the head tube is prefaced and just needs the headset pressed into the frame?

Thanks,

-Chris

PS Planned build is

Chris King disc hubs with DT competition spokes on mavic 717 rims
tompson seat post
selle italia slr steel seat (the 160g one)
Chris King headset
2001 Z1 Bomber forks
Easton alloy bars and stem
Cranks ?
BB ?
Chain ?
Brakes - deore 525

A mixture of old and new parts.

See less See more
#2 ·
Warning

be careful, check that you have enough tire clearence before you build your bike. On my 19" frame I barely had any clearence in the stays with a 2.1 (Kenda Nev) dry, and even with a 1.95 (kenda nev) the mud here in Ohio was still causing issues. Called Jenson and was told since the bike was built and ridden TS and have fun selling it on Ebay. Needless to say when my Surly 1x1 gets built, this is going on Ebay for $150.

As for the cranks, you can mount whatever you like.

Guys at my shop that installed my headset didn't mention my ht needing facing, I can't remember 100% but is should be OK, but check to be sure.

BTW, the EEB frame does come with brake bosses (non removable) and hanger (again non removable, unless you feel like sawing away at your frame).

Good luck I hope it works for you. Other than the tire clearence issue, it's a great frame.

#3 ·
My Zion

Any crank/bb should work. I squeezed a Kenda Kinetics 2.35 in the rear, but its tight, and I live in dry utah. I had the shop face the HT when they installed my king headset just in case. Enjoy the frame, I love mine so far. Post pics when you get 'er built

#4 ·
any STD BB will work, although I recommend a square taper.

I love my Zion - great bike for the $$...I've got a 2.25 Trailbear in the rear and clears OK. Depending on the size, clearance gets iffy on the larger sizes I think. Mine is a 17".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.