The Zion 660EBB- Mtbr.com

Thread: The Zion 660EBB

Flat Pluto Society

The Zion 660EBB

Just wanted to post this as kind of a warning to those getting one of these frames from Jensen.com. I was riding a 20" On-One that was a hair too small for me, so I thought if I bought one of the Zion 21" frames, I'd be closer.

Well, I was wrong. Look at the length of the head tube! It measures around 7", while the On-One was less than 5" (4.75"). Holy cow. I'm 6' 2", so this may not be a problem, but it sure looks funny. Dayam.

Other than the size issue, it's nice. The paint looks good (never was happy w/ the On-One white pearl paint- it chipped easily and attracted black marks that I had to remove w/ a Scotchbrite pad), the welds are good, and it was a little under $300 after tax, shipping and license. It's 4130 double-butted chromoly.

The EBB is adjusted with 2 allens underneath. My mech told me this may become a problem after repeated tightenings, that the BB shell might ovalize. Any truth to this?

I haven't ridden it, except for a few feet out in the back 40 to take the pics. I'll know how it rides soon.

Anyone else have one of these frames? What are your thoughts?

fp
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Anti demagogue.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Out spokin'
    Hey Finchy,

The girls love a 7" HT, although my 6"er seems to get me by (Vulture). I think that baby looks swell (not swollen) and I don't think you'll have to worry about ovalizing the BB shell unless you go psycho when you tighten the tighteners.

She looks like she'll accept a bigger back rubber than previous Zion frames. That's good.

Let's have a post-ride report.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Hey Finchy,

The girls love a 7" HT, although my 6"er seems to get me by (Vulture). I think that baby looks swell (not swollen) and I don't think you'll have to worry about ovalizing the BB shell unless you go psycho when you tighten the tighteners.

She looks like she'll accept a bigger back rubber than previous Zion frames. That's good.

Let's have a post-ride report.

--Sparty
    Hey thanks, mang- appreciate the comments.

That's a 2.25 Cinder on there, and I wouldn't be able to go much wider. But the Cinder has some pretty cushy knobs so I wouldn't want for more tread, I don't think.

fp
    Anti demagogue.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I have an 853 Zion and have no problems with the BB ovalizing... I mean when you tighten the screws there is a small gap, but the steel goes back to its position when loosened...

Interesting.. I am going the other way..I am selling my Zion to a friend and picking up an On-One... let's see how mine turns out...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i bought a 660 ebb frame a couple of weeks ago. the jensonusa site clearly listed the head tube length as 4.9 inches for the 19 inch, and 6.5 inches for the 21 inch frame....which is one reason i went for the 19 inch frame.

did you buy the frame without seeing the geo numbers on their site? i.e. were you surprised to see how tall that HT is?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've had a few rides on mine now. 19" so it doesn't look awkward at all. It is pretty much exactly the same geometry as the Brodie Unibomber it is replacing.
    You're right, the paint is stunning, welds are nice, and if you do ovalize the bb, I believe it is possible to replace the eccentric with a wedge style.
    I've heard it happens, but what else are you going to do. Ride it till it breaks, then get it fixed.
    Enjoy..
    Here's a photo of mine

mtbr member
    Those of you with the Zion frame: can the decals be removed or are they clearcoated over? I am thinking about a black frame and making it "stealth."

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    they are below the clearcoat on my 853EBB.. I guess the 660s are the same way

ballbuster

Nice!

but I am surprised you didnt' do a 29er. I figured you would be all over the 29er thing... or did you? Is that frame THAT big? Naaaahh!

Purdy, tho! Ride the snot out of that thing!

How's the EBB on that thing? Solid, no creaks? Thinking of doing the 29er version... maybe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    they are under the clearcoat on the 660. I was hoping to do the same, but no dice. I'm going to get some decals made to go over the current ones.

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    but I am surprised you didnt' do a 29er. I figured you would be all over the 29er thing... or did you? Is that frame THAT big? Naaaahh!

Purdy, tho! Ride the snot out of that thing!

How's the EBB on that thing? Solid, no creaks? Thinking of doing the 29er version... maybe.
    Nah, I couldn't afford it, since I had the parts already, all it cost was the frame and the parts that wouldn't fit the new frame (and most of those I had).

Can't tell you about the creaks- I've only done one short aborted ride.

Thanks!

fp
    Anti demagogue.

what nice teeth you have
    havn't noticed any problems yet

Members who have read this thread: 0