Zaskar- Mtbr.com

Thread: Zaskar

mtbr member

Zaskar

I have to admit that all this SS talk has me intrigued to say the least. I'm an old school BMXer from the 80's and was thrilled when I intially discovered Mt. Biking. I've been looking for a change for this season and this may be right up my alley. Anybody know anyone who built a SS with a GT Zaskar? Anything I should watch out for? Anyone have any photos? How difficult is the conversion for a non bike mechanic? I'm so glad I discovered this site!!!!!!

Thanks,
    Scott

mtbr member

Zasker and SS

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeat007
    I have to admit that all this SS talk has me intrigued to say the least. I'm an old school BMXer from the 80's and was thrilled when I intially discovered Mt. Biking. I've been looking for a change for this season and this may be right up my alley. Anybody know anyone who built a SS with a GT Zaskar? Anything I should watch out for? Anyone have any photos? How difficult is the conversion for a non bike mechanic? I'm so glad I discovered this site!!!!!!

Thanks,
    Scott
    I'll bite since no one else is...

My first attempt at conversion was acutally my 1992 Zaskar, complete with U-Brakes. I used a Paul Melvin tensioner and the setup worked just fine. I hated the U-Brake setup, and started liking SS more so I moved the tensioner on to my then geared bike and made it my main ride.

Read the FAQ at the top right hand side of the page, it has everything you need to know about completing your conversion.

Good luck, and post a pic of your finished conversion!

MC

The man who fell to earth

Go 4 it...

I just built up my 2001 GT Zaskar frame as SS this past weekend. I used a soulcraft convert chain tensioner and converted my XT disc wheelset with PVC pipe (for spacers) and a $5 Shimano 16t BMX cog. Works great, no problems. Although my first ride was with a rigid fork, and being that it's an Aluminum frame it was a bone jarring ride (my wrists are still hurting). So I put my 100 mm Duke on today and that should clinch it. I'm also thinking about trying that cool looking "captive chainring" tensioner idea too (its in the SS FAQ if you wanna see it), but haven't gotten around to it yet. The conversion is easy and fun, just read up on the FAQ and hang out here. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Anyway, the GT frame is just fine for SS-in', no special considerations over any other frame. I'll see if I can get you some pics...in the meantime rig it up and GO!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeat007

Thanks,
    Scott

mtbr member
    Thanks boys...I'd love to see the photos!!!