Your SS weight when Racing...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Your SS weight when Racing...

I was wondering for those who race any SS classes. What is your SS bike weight?

I am currently sitting at 28lbs with suspension fork, 26lbs ridged on my Salsa El Mariachi
    My rims I know added weight. I had them built a little over well done, I guess you could say. My area is very rocky and I tend to ride on the rough side.

Been considering either redoing a lighter wheel set or a Ti frame
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    28 is pretty heavy for a SS! My steel with Xfusion fork (not the lightest susp fork either) is around 25 pounds with seat bag.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    28 is pretty heavy for a SS! My steel with Xfusion fork (not the lightest susp fork either) is around 25 pounds with seat bag.

Yeah

The way it has been going
    Stock bike 24lbs
    Reba RLT fork 26lbs

As it sits now.
    Reba, DT Swiss M442 rims, I9 hubs, Thick spokes, Ardent 2.4 Front/Ikon 2.35 Rear, 2 bottle cages. pedals and tubeless, I'm at 28lbs

Race Fire on the Rim that way. wasn't TOO bad. lol but I would like it a little less.

May just do a Ti and hope with rim set and a fox fork or xfusion I can dip into the 22-23/24 area
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    If i remember correctly, my large steel el mariachi was around 22 pounds with carbon wheels, bars, seatpost, cranks, and fork. It felt like a rocket compared to the stock bike. Not sure if it was enough to impact where I finished in a race though.

Riding a carbon bike now and it even faster, but again I doubt it makes a big difference for me in races.
    18.1 pounds with strong wide wheels (roval traverse fattie sl), pedals, 2 bottle cages, ardent 2.4 exo/tr and ardent race exo/3c/tr.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    How much lighter do you think a Ti frame is? I warn you that it isn't as much lighter as you would hope when compared to a similarly built steel frame. (e.g. butted tubes for both) Also, how did you weigh your bike? 28lbs seems a bit high for what you list, but maybe I'm underestimating the weight. I weighed my bikes by stripping them down and weighing each part on a food scale, then adding it all up.

Anyway, my current race rig is right around 21lbs. Build is a 2012 Lynskey Pro 29SL size small, Thomson stem and carbon bar, SID XX fork, Lynskey post, Ergon saddle and grips, XT pedals, X0 carbon crank, direct mount AB ring, CK cog, CK BB, CK hubs laced to Blunt SS, Purgatory Control tires, XTR brakes, AiRotors, single bottle cage. My previous race steed was a 2010 MCF, Fox F29, SLX crank, Niner ring and cog, XT brakes, ESi grips, AC hubs laced to Arch EX, Ardent Race/Ikon, PD-520 pedals, Thomson post, stem, bar, Phenom saddle. That was ~24lbs.

Weight of the bike doesn't really impact my race results though. I just like to tinker. My 175lbs on a 5'8" frame is what hurts the most. I should be in the 130-140 range for my height/build to be an elite bike racer.

SS Pusher Man
    My Highball comes in at 23 lbs for 12hr racing.....and that is with a 130mm Revelation on it.
    Bicycles don’t have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    If this is the Brent I am thinking of (FINS?) PM me if you want to look at Vassago. Their Ti is fantastic and the Verhauen is one of the lightest steel frames in its price range with the best steel.

The Ardent is heavy, but other things to look at that add the most weight are: seat, post, bars, cranks. The X-Fusion forks are a little heavy, but they are the best as far as build quality and are cheap $ wise.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

dwt
    mtbr member

Your SS weight when Racing...

My frankenbike is 23 lbs: it is an old 26" Ted Wojcik steel frame (no disc mount);26" rim brake rear wheel; 18T cog; Kenda Nevegal 2.0 tubeless tire; XTR V brake rear; X Fusion Velvet 27.5" fork, 120 mm, Velocity Blunt 27.5" rim laced to XT hub, Pacenti Neo Moto 2.25 tire tubeless ; Avid Elixer front brake; 180 mm rotor; SRAM X9 spline cranks, GXP bb, 175mm; Absolute Black direct mount oval 34T ring; Shimano pd-m 520 pedals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Having the LBS weighing it on the Park tool weigh thing hanging from a rack with the bike on it. Reads 28 lbs.

so using the cool bathroom scale.

29.4 lbs
    Too Many .

WillWorkForTrail
    I don't race. But my XXL Soma Juice is built up to 26lbs 2oz with a 120mm Manitou Marvel Comp on it. Burly wheel build, with Maxxis Ikons. Carbon post, carbon bars, that weight includes pedals (Xpedo MF8) and two bottle cages.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Spending time weighing your stuff with a food scale is a quick way to find where you can save weight. I weighed everything I owned, including stuff that wasn't currently on the bike, so I could put the lightest stuff on the bike. Knocked 380 grams off that way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    SE Racing Stout, size XL. 28 lbs. of porker. Strictly a budget thing.
    I accept that when I race, it is essentially a time trial for me.
    I dumped the stock nevegals, put on some aspens and ergon gx2 grips which helped a lot.
    This is my race bike, training bike and road bike...
    '09 Superfly SS
    '11 SE Stout SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The funny thing is that I started 2015 in a bit of a weight weenie mode. But also started training better and raced the season with a focus on six hour events like the Southern Endurance Series.

At the start of the year I was 170# with a 19.5# bike. As I built up my training and racing I moved to 150# with a 22# bike.

Today think more ride quality, durability, style points, etc. For example, good tires weigh more. A saddle that works for six hour events and training is a bit heavier vs. a lightweight ass hatchets. Good SPD style pedals work better then the ultralight ones I tried for the first couple of races. I switched from NEXT SL carbon cranks to the Turbine alloy cranks because shoe rub and or bashing on rocks happens. As I reached "race shape" the bike gained a little weight but I lost more weight. The season went well and I had some good results.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by febikes View Post
    The funny thing is that I started 2015 in a bit of a weight weenie mode. But also started training better and raced the season with a focus on six hour events like the Southern Endurance Series.

At the start of the year I was 170# with a 19.5# bike. As I built up my training and racing I moved to 150# with a 22# bike.

Today think more ride quality, durability, style points, etc. For example, good tires weigh more. A saddle that works for six hour events and training is a bit heavier vs. a lightweight ass hatchets. Good SPD style pedals work better then the ultralight ones I tried for the first couple of races. I switched from NEXT SL carbon cranks to the Turbine alloy cranks because shoe rub and or bashing on rocks happens. As I reached "race shape" the bike gained a little weight but I lost more weight. The season went well and I had some good results.
    This is really interesting and cool. Never heard or even thought about this perspective before. IME, it was always just lose weight, period, body, bike, components, accessories. Yours idea is much more sound, I would say, and what I would now recommend. Thanks.

Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by febikes View Post

This is why, although I keep track of how much my stuff weighs, I could never be a true weight weenie. I'm too willing to sacrifice some grams on the altar of durability so that I know I won't be walking home.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Kona Unit with suspension and dropper, 13.2kg.
    Diamondback Vectra Sport 26" with suspension, 10kg.

mtbr member
    My "Race" single speed comes in at a little over 18 and 1/2 pounds depending on the exact set up. It's in the very high 16 pound range when rigid. It's a Vassago Optimus Ti and I'm 6 feet tall and 210-220 pounds.

My all day single speed us 21 pounds 10 oz and its a Vassago VerHauen.

My "blingle speed" is a Chris King Cielo and it comes in at about 19 pounds 13oz.
    Chumba Stella
    King Cielo- For Sale
    Vassago VerHauen-For Sale
    Kestrel Legend SL
    Soma Rush

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Click Click Boom View Post
    My "Race" single speed comes in at a little over 18 and 1/2 pounds depending on the exact set up. It's in the very high 16 pound range when rigid. It's a Vassago Optimus Ti and I'm 6 feet tall and 210-220 pounds.

My all day single speed us 21 pounds 10 oz and its a Vassago VerHauen.

My "blingle speed" is a Chris King Cielo and it comes in at about 19 pounds 13oz.

sweet god that's light.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    21.7 pounds right now. Will be under 21 when I get my One 9 RDO frame.

mtbr member
    My current SS that I raced a couple times last year weights just under 24lbs. It's a 2009 GF Rig frame with the original Fox 80mm fork and random cheap components. The weight doesn't bother me but the unforgiving 100% aluminum parts list gets rough in the 100 milers I race.

I'm in the process of building up a Carver 420 for endurance racing next year and then to serve as my forever bike. I purchased over half of the parts (XTR cranks, wheels, brakes) and the fork (120mm Fox Float). With the actual weights I have so far I'm targeting 21lbs...who knows if I make that though when it's all said and done. The goal of the build is a balance of lightweight and durability so I'm not getting too worked up if it ends up on the high side.

mtbr member
    My Niner One9RDO was built for XC Marathon and XCO racing.
    Have a Formula 33 29" Fork for 24hr solos

7KG (15.4lb)

Final Build
    Frame - Niner One9RDO
    Fork - Niner RDO Rigid
    Handlebars - Syntace Low 5 700mm
    Stem – Syntace Flat Force 99mm
    Headset – Niner with custom carbon top dust cap (-3mm stack height)
    Grips - Esi Extra Chunky
    Saddle - Tune Speed Needle Marathon
    Seatpost - Syntace P6 Hi Flex
    Seat Clamp - Tune Schraubwurger
    Bottle cages – Tune Wassertrager Universal 2.0 (9g cages)
    Brakes - Formula R1 Racing w 160mm rotors
    Cranks - Tune Blackfoot Carbon w XX1 single ring spider (395g + 80g Tune BB)
    Chain - KMC X10
    Pedals - Exustar Ti SPD
    Cog - Endless Bike Co SS (17-20t)
    Chainring – 32/34t
    Wheelset - Tune Schwarzbrenner Carbon Clincher 29er Rims, Tune Princess Skyline front hub, Tune Kong rear w Tune DC15 Skewer and Sapim Superspokes Carbon wrapped crossings
    Tyres - SchwalbeThunder Burt 2.1 Snakeskin
    Weight Weenie weight - 6.7kg (light pedals - no sealant) - Race ready at 7kg (Sealant, XTR pedals)

So far it's done more than 4000km (2500 Miles)

SSOD
    Lynskey 650 setup somewhere around 22# that I've been racing on for the last year. I came off a carbon rigid 29er at 18# previously. I don't notice a different in weight or times between the two bikes. The lynskey is a lot more durable though and should last longer than 1 season. Race everything from cat 1 xc to 24hr solos on it, thought about going back rigid but not for the weight savings. Weight really doesn't matter as much as most people think.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Sweet!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    My 2015 Trek SuperFly SS with bar ends (for gravel races), tubes with sealant and seat bag weights around 24 lbs. My SE Draft Crazy Coaster set up for gravel races is closer to 30 pounds ready to race. I always figure it's easier to eat less to save weight…..

mtbr member
    Ive got a Misfit DiSSent ALC that I race on a few times a year. it comes in at 25.2 lbs on the shop scale. I built her up with durability and blingness in mind so it could be lighter but I love how it rides and feels. I find I hold back the bike when racing, not the other way around.

Yay bikes!
    MisFitPsycles DiSSent, ALc - BLINGLESPEED
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Surly Ice Cream Truck

bike rider
    13.91lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your SS weight when Racing...-img_0713.jpg  

My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

mtbr member
    My SS (based on the Lynskey Ti frame) is just under 21 lbs. used to be 19.5 lbs when rigid, but now I have front suspension.

My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    I have 2 SS one steeel and one Ti, they both weigh about 25 lbs. That's pretty much a standard weight for my bikes. I have tried to go lighter,but lighter usually means more broken parts for me... Im a big boy anyway so weight loss on my bike doesnt mean much.... Also lighter bikes seem to suck on descents too...

I do quite a few long rides on very rough terrain and the last thing I need is a flat or something breaking.

mtbr member
    I think racing a sub-15 lbs mountain bike is risky. It does depend on how heavy one is. I am 148 lbs and would not feel comfortable. My cross bike is 17.5 lbs, and it feels ridiculously light when trail riding it.

My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    my 16+ LB FSI SS now seems heavy compared to these race bikes...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    I think racing a sub-15 lbs mountain bike is risky. It does depend on how heavy one is. I am 148 lbs and would not feel comfortable. My cross bike is 17.5 lbs, and it feels ridiculously light when trail riding it.

Agreed! I don't know how comfortable I'd be riding some of these ultra lightweight bikes on less than smooth courses. There is always a trade off. Besides, I have to fund all of my bike purchases and durability is a major factor so I'm delighted with anything under 25 pounds.

mtbr member
    About to take my "ultralight" weenie build for a 100 miler