Are your legs sore after every ride?- Mtbr.com
    Waiting to exhale.

Are your legs sore after every ride?

I have been dedicated to my one speed for about 10 months now, so much so that I sold my Turner 5 spot. One thing that I noticed is that after every single ride my legs are sore. Usually not the same night, but the next day it feels like I went to the GYM and squatted 800lbs. How many of you guys or girls have soreness after every ride?
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

Not because I'm fast.....
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY
    I have been dedicated to my one speed for about 10 months now, so much so that I sold my Turner 5 spot. One thing that I noticed is that after every single ride my legs are sore. Usually not the same night, but the next day it feels like I went to the GYM and squatted 800lbs. How many of you guys or girls have soreness after every ride?
    When I first started riding SS my legs were always sore and seemed to never fully recover between rides. At that time I was doing 3-4 SS rides a week. I started doing some easy road rides during the week and it seemed to help with soreness and loosen me up. I don't ride that much anymore so now it's not an issue. As a result of riding less just means looking at my gut in the mirror nowadays gives me a whole different kind of pain......

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Every ride? No. Not even every other ride. Only happens when I ride longer and/or harder than my average outing or do something new (like multiple lift assisted DH runs at speed).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

Never

I never have soreness after a ride. I can feel fatigue or lethargy if the last ride was really long or hard. You should look at hydration, nutrition, and recovery fuels. Are you a week-end warrior? Ride more!

Waiting to exhale.
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    I never have soreness after a ride. I can feel fatigue or lethargy if the last ride was really long or hard. You should look at hydration, nutrition, and recovery fuels. Are you a week-end warrior? Ride more!
    I usually ride about 12-18 miles every other day with one long hard ride on the weekend. I know I am getting faster and stronger because I am incrementally clearing long climbs and steeps faster and easier each week. I no longer have a geared bike so its kinda hard to "take it easy" on most trails. As far as hydration, I am drinking tons of water and my urine is always clear and plentiful.

Reviewer/Tester
    I would say from your description that you are on the up-road of fitness and muscle building. This can be rather painful, I get the same sort of pain, but mine is mostly from old age...lol..

Seriously, you will reach the stage eventually of not being so sore because your body will have adjusted to the rigours of SS'ing.

If however, that does not happen and you keep on experiencing leg pains, I would take a long hard look at your bike setup and your riding style.

Unless you have something seriously wrong with your legs, then it will probably turn out to be something simple like your pedal float or geometry of the bike.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Smokey, don't compare yourself to others for this.
    As you've wisely stated, you can see improvement.

Your analogy of weightlifting is a good one since SSing is very similar to "maxing out" during lifting. When I used to lift, one day a week I would "max out" each muscle group. The other days were maintenence and toning.

Every time you ride SS your muscles are blown up and torn up.

Some of us have aweseme ability to heal that quickly and to process lactic crap,etc.
    Others of us don't have it.

I am one of them.

I can only have 100% power on the SS once a week at most. If I ride it again, I am stuck with reserve power only.

I am in solid riding shape, putting in no less than 200 miles a week road/mountain, with a pretty good diet, and I still experience this.

What has helped me the most to go longer and recover faster is more time on the road bike and using "recovery" aids(drinks/foods).

There are some among us who are simply gifted. Donkey, for example, could ride his SS 40 miles a day and not even stop to massage a saddle sore. He never gets "dead legs...." in fact he doesn't comprehend the notion. Not because he's a jerk, but because he's "one of them."

I'd recommend you doing some road discipline....lots of constant pedaling at a reasonably high HR (like 130-140) for a few hours. Doing that 2x's per week would likely increase significantly your ability to recover well from the SS.

Waiting to exhale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    I would say from your description that you are on the up-road of fitness and muscle building. This can be rather painful, I get the same sort of pain, but mine is mostly from old age...lol..

Seriously, you will reach the stage eventually of not being so sore because your body will have adjusted to the rigours of SS'ing.

R.
    I would imagine you are right about that. I went from 275lbs to right around 225-230lbs since august of last year. My endurance and strength is noticeably better now.

mad aussie
    Major soreness I noticed was in my upper body initially and now in my forearms a little after going full rigid. Legs were a little sore but not bad. Probably those 300+ road miles per week helped with that.
    Of course you outweigh me by about 100lb! If I was carrying a camelback with that weight I doubt I could climb out of bed let alone a hill!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    When I was a courier I used to have sore legs every day. It was a problem that I dealt with for over a year. I was in great shape and would race Sport class on the weekends and be competitive. I could out climb nearly all of my riding buddies and training partners but always had sore and aching 'lactose legs' that kept me from riding as hard as wanted to. It's was tough.

The solution for me was to start to drink huge quantities of water and go on light road rides in the evenings or spin on a set of rollers with my beater road bike. It totally changed my life on the bike and solved the aching legs issue.

You need to get some spin time in. Try to get some slick tires and go out for 40 minutes minimum on the flats and a nice fast and smooth pedal cadence. This sure worked for me and it increased my cardio fitness a surprising amount as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

A bargain at only 2 cents

When I commute on my fixie for five days, I can really tell on the weekend -- can't hardly push the SS on the uphills. When I take Friday off, it's a noticeable improvement. When I take Thursday AND Friday off, it's like I've got a motor. I know that after my first year on a SS I went back to a geared bike and found myself hammering familiar trails in a much bigger gear than I had before I switched to SS, so it's no myth: SS riding makes you fit. But it can also beat you silly, especially if your ride rigid. Bottom line, listen to your legs. A little soreness is good; it means you're pushing beyond the comfort zone. But daily soreness may be a precursor to injury. Take a day off, or get on a road bike (gasp!) and spin once in awhile.

try driving your car less
    try stretching a little after riding. and drink some water.
    i get sore if i drink a lot of beer after riding and forget to drink water. so, yes, sore after most rides! ha!
    Only boring people get bored.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    try stretching a little after riding. and drink some water.
    i get sore if i drink a lot of beer after riding and forget to drink water. so, yes, sore after most rides! ha!
    Ice water soaks also help a lot. It's masochistic when you're doing it though.

Peace & Love
    my legs are sometime sore....but i do not ride nearly as frequently as i would like so i attribute that to my girly-man conditioning and VERY ad-hoc riding as of late. as such, i am almost not looking forward to my trip to colorado in a week....especially since there are some boys there that are really looking forward to punishing the FoShizzle

Over the Hill
    Smokey wait until you get to be my age, your body will hurt the next day even if you don't ride.

I still think I can ride my SS slower than you!

Waiting to exhale.
    I came close to trying an ice soak last night... I didn't have the balls to do it.

I did try some ice packs on my quads and hamstrings, It felt great after a massage. today my legs don't feel as sore as they would normally.

try driving your car less
    I came close to trying an ice soak last night... I didn't have the balls to do it.

I did try some ice packs on my quads and hamstrings, It felt great after a massage. today my legs don't feel as sore as they would normally.
    dont soak your balls in the ice.
    i prefer heat, like a hot tub, after a tough ride. it really makes a difference. i wish we still had a hot tub.
    Only boring people get bored.

Peace & Love
    i prefer the best of both worlds......to end a ride with my balls massaged (and not by Smokey in case you are wondering)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I usually ride about 12-18 miles every other day with one long hard ride on the weekend. I know I am getting faster and stronger because I am incrementally clearing long climbs and steeps faster and easier each week. I no longer have a geared bike so its kinda hard to "take it easy" on most trails. As far as hydration, I am drinking tons of water and my urine is always clear and plentiful.
    Drinking tons of water might be your problem. You might want to try and drink some fluid with electrolytes and carbs in it. If you are consuming to much water (there is such a thing) your body will start looking to draw the electrolytes from your muscles, cramping and muscle fatigue will set in. Also make sure you are recovering proper with consuming a carb/protein drink within a half hour of riding. This will replenish your glycogen storage and help you to have a better ride the next time out.

Just my $0.02

Waiting to exhale.
    Quote Originally Posted by corner_stuffed
    Drinking tons of water might be your problem. You might want to try and drink some fluid with electrolytes and carbs in it. If you are consuming to much water (there is such a thing) your body will start looking to draw the electrolytes from your muscles, cramping and muscle fatigue will set in. Also make sure you are recovering proper with consuming a carb/protein drink within a half hour of riding. This will replenish your glycogen storage and help you to have a better ride the next time out.

Just my $0.02
    Thanks.

Nat
    mtbr member
    double post
    Last edited by Nat; 08-10-2005 at 03:21 PM.

Nat
    mtbr member

Sometimes I just start with cool water, then add more cold and ice as tolerated. It's not quite as shocking that way.