Your favorite chain?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Your favorite chain?

I am pretty much a noob to mountain biking but I have been doing well on my SS. Coming from road cycling and years of riding fixed gear I have found the KMC K710 and K710SL to be excellent low-cost chains. I just switched out the chain that was on the bike(used) with a K710 and I hope it will be just as smooth and quiet off road as it is on road. How about you all?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Running the KMC Z610 that came on my Kona. Will be switching to an orange KMC Z410 today. Matches lettering on bike as well as hubs, cables etc.

It is a 1/8 chain but have been advised its OK to use in place of 3/32. Might be a bit of chatter but not a problem, so i've been told.

I guess I'll find out later today.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    I just ran a K710 for three years with no maintenance at all. Finally replaced it with a K710SL.

local trails rider
    I've used Shimano's CN7701 for years (9 speed size cogs and chainwheels). Works great lasts long. Last time I needed a chain, CN7701 was outrageusly expensive at the LBS I dropped by at, so I picked up a KMC X9.93, instead. It is supposed to be "Hi-Performance, Extremely Durable". Looks promising, so far.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Bro Mountainbiker
    Sram PC870s are super cheap and work as intended. Never broken one and they arent prone to rusting. 890s have a more comprehensive nickel coating, but I have never tried them.

Stay away from cheap chains like the PC1 and KMC410. They stretch very quickly.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

What could go wrong ...
    I use Sram 870/890 chains on all my bikes, 2 geared and 2 SS
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

psycho cyclo addict

Your favorite chain?

Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    I've used Shimano's CN7701 for years (9 speed size cogs and chainwheels). Works great lasts long. Last time I needed a chain, CN7701 was outrageusly expensive at the LBS I dropped by at, so I picked up a KMC X9.93, instead. It is supposed to be "Hi-Performance, Extremely Durable". Looks promising, so far.
    I've also used XT and XTR chains most often on my geared 9-speeds because they tend to last longer. A friend suggested the KMC X9.93 so I installed one on a new hard tail build. Seems to be fine though I find that it requires a lube more often (just about every ride) compared to the Shimano chains. Curious to see if I get similar miles out of it...

On my single speed I run inexpensive Nashbar 8-speed chains (mostly on Chris King cogs with Blackspire and MRP rings).

I keep tabs on chain wear with a Park CC-2 chain checker and now also a Shimano CL41 chain wear indicator tool.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    I keep tabs on chain wear with a Park CC-2 chain checker and now also a Shimano CL41 chain wear indicator tool.
    My K710SL measured 1.0 right out of the box

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    Running the KMC Z610 that came on my Kona. Will be switching to an orange KMC Z410 today. Matches lettering on bike as well as hubs, cables etc.

It is a 1/8 chain but have been advised its OK to use in place of 3/32. Might be a bit of chatter but not a problem, so i've been told.

I guess I'll find out later today.
    If your drivetrain is 3/32, why would you run a 1/8 chain thats the same strength as the 3/32 you are replacing? That "slop" from the chain being wider than the rings will increase wear. Too many strong 3/32 chains to pick from that are inexpensive. Z610, K810, x8.93, 851, are all great wearing chains and can be had for <$15.

mtbr member
    Pc-971.

Spp
    Rigid.

Cif
    mtbr member

Re: Your favorite chain?

I still use my KMC Z610 that was on the bike when I bought it. 1500k since and it starts making a ticking noise. Will replace with the same, since they are super cheap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cif View Post
    I still use my KMC Z610 that was on the bike when I bought it. 1500k since and it starts making a ticking noise. Will replace with the same, since they are super cheap.
    And super good.......

one chain loop
    stick with what you have that works for you. personally, i like my kmc k810.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    If your drivetrain is 3/32, why would you run a 1/8 chain thats the same strength as the 3/32 you are replacing? That "slop" from the chain being wider than the rings will increase wear. Too many strong 3/32 chains to pick from that are inexpensive. Z610, K810, x8.93, 851, are all great wearing chains and can be had for <$15.
    Find me a 3/32 in orange.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I like my HKK 40, aqua series chain.

I did some research and think it may be the last chain I will ever need.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 540
Size:  38.7 KB

My drivetrain is based on custom parts to run #40 style roller chains if you really want your chain talk to your local machine shop and/or send me a PM. The parts are not very hard to make. Most machine shops will be able to fabricate what you need although it will be expensive.
    Last edited by febikes; 08-17-2013 at 06:57 PM.

banned
    Sep 2008
    shop guy 20 years, singlespeed ride/race over 12 years. sram pc 850. cheap, durable. no brainer.

rog

mtbr member
    I have SRAM PC850 on 3 of my bikes. SS trail bike, SS pavement beater, and a 3x8 trail bike. They seem to be holding up fine but each chain only has around 800 miles each so time will tell. My Monocog trail bike has been getting a lot of trail love and I have had to adjust the tension a few times in the past month due to what I think is chain stretching.

banned
    Sep 2008
    if you run surly stainless steel chainrings and cogs, everything lasts longer with less frequent tensioning. got 6 full seasons of riding year round and racing summers out of just 1 34t surly ring and an 18t surly cog. replaced my 850 chains twice a year at less than 10 bucks a piece (cost). cheap easy breezy riding. the ring and cog live on, btw. sold them with the bike.

rog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cif
    I still use my KMC Z610 that was on the bike when I bought it. 1500k since and it starts making a ticking noise.
    That's probably the quick link, the pins on that link wear out faster than those on the rest of the chain.

Major flaw IMO.
    Ride more!

Cif
    mtbr member

Nope no quick link on my bike. Chain ticks al over. Probably just stretch out and needs replacing

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Your favorite chain?

Wippermann Whitestar 108. Best singlespeed chain I have put on a bike, in every respect.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

COTA member
    Happy with a Gusset Badger SS-Pro Chain 3/32" on my Niner A9C SS.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Cif View Post
    Nope no quick link on my bike. Chain ticks al over. Probably just stretch out and needs replacing
    Take a close look at your chainring and cog too. Eventually, they wear out and can develop a shape where the chain sticks before releasing from each tooth.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Cif
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    Take a close look at your chainring and cog too. Eventually, they wear out and can develop a shape where the chain sticks before releasing from each tooth.
    Checked chainring a couple of weeks ago, but will check again.
    The ticking only occurs when applying serious power. At normal power everything is nice and quiet. Does that make sense?

local trails rider
    Under load, tensions are higher - between chain and chainring, in pedal bearings, in BB bearings, .... It can be the chain but don't exclude other possibilities.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    if you run surly stainless steel chainrings and cogs, everything lasts longer with less frequent tensioning. got 6 full seasons of riding year round and racing summers out of just 1 34t surly ring and an 18t surly cog. replaced my 850 chains twice a year at less than 10 bucks a piece (cost). cheap easy breezy riding. the ring and cog live on, btw. sold them with the bike.

rog
    I'm running Surly ring and cog with an 850 also. How do you know when the chain needs replacement? I don't really want to wait until it snaps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymouseTech View Post
    I'm running Surly ring and cog with an 850 also. How do you know when the chain needs replacement? I don't really want to wait until it snaps.
    Inspect your chain...

The "KO" is for when the chain is knocked out.....

My advice is that you simply buy two chains then when it stretches to the point where it is loose on the drive train you can put the second chain on. After the second chain stretches you can clean both chains, adjust tension, and then mount the shorter of the two chains.

It is also a good idea to measure the chains when you clean them. Park sells a chain measurement gauge so you will know when to replace. You can push a chain a good bit beyond the wear limits but it starts to damage the rings and cogs. If you run the chain too long it will start cracking then fail soon afterwards.

Also, the SRAM 850 and 870 chains are really quite bad for single speed usage. These chains seem to be designed to be loose fitting and wear quickly. If you measure a brand new 870 chain and compare it with a KMC you will find it starts out longer. I think SRAM must do this on purpose. It might help shifting but it hurts wear.

SRAM also uses a modified roller chain design that does not include bushings. The SRAM design seems to be weaker then other chains.

More really good information about chains is on Sheldon Brown's page.
    Chain Maintenance

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Wippermann Whitestar 108. Best singlespeed chain I have put on a bike, in every respect.
    Ima check that out; thanks Shiggy.

mtbr member
    I run sram 8 speed, highest number I can get. I think LBS usually has 850's or 870's for 20 bucks or so.

Recently had a white industries crank put on when I was on vacation, and they put a PC1 chain on it I guess I'm glad they were trying to save me money, but still kinda unimpressed, especially because the cog and chainring are 3/32. Pedals smooth enough but I don't like how much it moves back and forth. While be switching back to an 8 speed as soon as I can.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Is the KMC x9 there standard 9 speed chain and if so do you recommend a non S.S. chain for S.S. ?? I love the idea of using a missing link...Thx

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Rog...Do you use the power link with your pc 850 ??

Snail. A fast one.
    I've bought 3 Miche Pista Track chains recently. The first impression - they are really cool. Light, nickel-plated, cheap and "tight", which means pins are more narrow, and plates & rollers are very close to each other and there is no space to collect dirt. The surface of the plates is also smooth (unlike some ss KMC chains, which surface is more like moon). On KMC K710, both regular and halflink, there is plenty of space between rollers and plates, so, after a puddle or a sand spot, the chain just keeps crunching for hours and hours. Plus all the lube is constantly leaking out. No such problems with Miche.
    Is it durable? Well, we will see. So far no significant wear is detected.

P.S. I use On-one stainless chainring, shimano DXR cog and 3 Miche chains. I run one chain, then, when it needs lubricating, I change it for the second one, then for the third and so on. Every 3 changes I flip the cog to let the both sides wear equally.