Young grasshopper seeking SS advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Young grasshopper seeking SS advice

I have decided to sell my carbon Stumpy 29er and get a 29er single speed. No real reason to make the change other than I want to. I love my Stumpy but as love a good straight chain line and the clean looks of a SS. And they seem like some good fun.

Anyways, what I had in mind was something like the new Redline Monobelt. I've kinda got a crush on belt drive bikes right now and thought it would be a good platform to start with and build off of later on down the road. I was also thinking about a Niner (one9). Yeah its got a chain and there is nothing wrong with that. I would be able to build it the way I want and that would be very enjoyable.

So what i'm after here is this, Is the belt drive system all that and a bag of chips?

One Gear
    Do some searching in the forums for belt drive or Gates belt drive. Quite a few have tried and gone back to the chain. Some have success. I bought a SS that would accept a belt drive and haven't had enough crush on the belt to give it a $250 try. I also change cogs a lot and the SS rear cogs are reasonable. The Gates drive cogs aren't.

If you buy a bag a chips with the belt drive, you won't go hungry.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Why not turn the Stumpy into a ss?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    @Lando47, before completely dumping the geared ride. Have you ridden the Stumpy in "no shifting", SS mode, first? That's what I did before converting one of my bikes to SS. It's a pretty fair estimation of gearing. But it definitely feels smoother in SS mode.
    Also, why not just keep the geared bike too?

The need for singlespeed
    When you can ride your geared bike across the rice paper without tearing it, you are ready to singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by allroy71 View Post
    @Lando47, before completely dumping the geared ride. Have you ridden the Stumpy in "no shifting", SS mode, first? That's what I did before converting one of my bikes to SS. It's a pretty fair estimation of gearing. But it definitely feels smoother in SS mode.
    Also, why not just keep the geared bike too?
    Yes i have and I enjoyed it and can imagine the smoothness of having a good chain line. Plus the cleanness of the bars only having brakes attached to them.

Honestly I'm a bit tired of the geared bike. If i'm going to ride a geared bike, i'll ride my Enduro. That thing is a blast to ride. Don't get me wrong, the Stumpy is very fast and fun to ride. The thought of converting it to SS never really crossed my mind.

Where can I get some riding impressions on a carbon belt drive bike?

By the way, Thanks for all the replies and info provided. I really appreciate the feedback.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by i.a.n. View Post
    Why not turn the Stumpy into a ss?
    That would be my first move.

HOV
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    That would be my first move.
    Ya, that's a cool bike. Why not SS it?

Sette Single Speed Conversion Kit at Price Point

and

Sette Single Speed Tensioner at Price Point

Should do it.

One Gear
    Use the search feature of the forum. It's easy... Here are 2 guys you could send a PM to and get their opinion.

http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/g...es-766687.html

good luck

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'd just convert the stumpy.

SS kit with chain tensioner is super cheap. But if you can spend a little, I'd suggest building up a rear wheel with an Eno hub. The feel is much better than running the chain through a tensioner, just have to decide if its worth the cost.

Maybe try a tensioner, then if you like build a wheel. Just my .02.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lando47 View Post
    Yes i have and I enjoyed it and can imagine the smoothness of having a good chain line. Plus the cleanness of the bars only having brakes attached to them.

Honestly I'm a bit tired of the geared bike. If i'm going to ride a geared bike, i'll ride my Enduro. That thing is a blast to ride. Don't get me wrong, the Stumpy is very fast and fun to ride. The thought of converting it to SS never really crossed my mind.

Where can I get some riding impressions on a carbon belt drive bike?

By the way, Thanks for all the replies and info provided. I really appreciate the feedback.
    What year is it? You could go with the ENO hub or if you have a 68mm BB or a BB30 shell you can do an eccentric BB. That would be a pretty sweet setup and you could save a bunch of monies. I thought about going belt drive but after seeing how a lot of people go back to chain I had second thoughts. Then after setting up a few Trek Districts at work I realized that belt may not be as cool as it seems. Just stick with a good old fashion chain and some nice cogs. Maybe some Homebrewed stuff?!
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gsteitz View Post
    I'd just convert the stumpy.

SS kit with chain tensioner is super cheap. But if you can spend a little, I'd suggest building up a rear wheel with an Eno hub. The feel is much better than running the chain through a tensioner, just have to decide if its worth the cost.

Maybe try a tensioner, then if you like build a wheel. Just my .02.
    I like gsteitz's idea. There's nothing better than a purpose built singlespeed, but for getting your toes in the water converting your bike with a kit and a tensioner is the way to go.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    for getting your toes in the water converting your bike with a kit and a tensioner is the way to go.
    One more vote for this.

If you really like your current frame, you might end up just getting a nicer SS wheel, SS chainring, and a very good tensioner for it. I did.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Members who have read this thread: 0