For you alt bar guys...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014

For you alt bar guys...

Surprised these haven't been mentioned here yet. Maybe their too wide for all of the Luddites here...

https://bikerumor.com/2019/04/05/rit...-refresh-more/

Honestly, the sweep on my cheater bar never felt quite right, but I'm wondering about the offset these Ritcheys have to correct the hand position. For $40 I think I may have to try them.

mtbr member
    That's a nice new handlebar from Ritchey! Thanks for sharing that with us.

The 27.5 sweep, 800mm width, and 35 rise hits a spot that could be welcomed and loved by many riders.

350 grams

Price: $40

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    That's a good find and price. Wondering if you guys who run such high sweep bars find the handling weird in the rough technical stuff. I've settle on an SQ Lab 16 degree sweep bar, handles like normal to me, no weird feeling on anything, but that extra sweep definitely helps the wrists for those long pedals.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

WNC Native
    I've been waiting for details to come out on this bar, saw on FB where a guy across the pond was testing it for Ritchey.

I've been debating considering alt bars again and the SQlab 16 has been the main one of interest. This Ritchey may be worth trying.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

powered by peanut butter.
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    That's a good find and price. Wondering if you guys who run such high sweep bars find the handling weird in the rough technical stuff. I've settle on an SQ Lab 16 degree sweep bar, handles like normal to me, no weird feeling on anything, but that extra sweep definitely helps the wrists for those long pedals.
    I've been on an Answer 20/20 (20* backsweep) bar since August, and I haven't felt held back on technical sections.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    I still run the good old fashioned Mary bars. But, I run them inverted. It looks a little goofy due to the long fork steerer length but works well for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I run the Answer 20/20 (20 Deg sweep) and Salsa Bend 2 (23 degree) and both feel great in technical stuff.

Bars I have tried and stopped using:
    -Jones H bar (45 degree) in the past and that felt super weird. Never got used to it and eventually sold it.
    -Fleegle Pro (15 deg) felt good but was a little narrow (660 mm) (For sale)
    -Groovy Luv cro-mo Luv handles (21.5 deg) felt good but were too narrow (635 mm). These need to be powder coated again; anyone can have them for the cost of shipping if they want to resurrect them.
    -Santa Cruz Carbon Flat bars (9 degree) were a torture device, never got used to them over a whole season.

I think you can go too far in terms of sweep, but I assume everyone's body will have a different threshold. For me <15 or >35 degree is unridable, 15-25 preferred.

These bars would probably work great for me and are at a great price point. Both my flat bar bikes are set on bars so I probably won't get to try them. Good find!
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mtbr member
    Nice offer from Ritchey, I especially like the rise but the sweep might be a little too much for me. I wish the Salsa bend 17deg 740mm was 40 instead of 75. It seems like those who use alt bars settle into the range of 15-25 as FRS1661 has mentioned. Coming from riser bars with little sweep, I'm hesitant to get all sweepy. That said, I'm really liking bar designs with forward sweep so I don't have to replace the stem as well. Thanks for the post.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Downcountry AF
    I have the carbon SQ labs 16 degree on the Krampus. I like the sweep and it's nice and compliant.

Previously used the Salsa Bend 2 (23 degree), currently on my cross bike and it's Awesome!! Too narrow for the MTB at 710mm.

Salsa also updated that bar and now offer something similar but wider, the Bend Deluxe at 740mm. Also now have an 11 degree Rustler Deluxe available in 750 or 800.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I gave that 11 degree bar a shot before pulling the trigger on the SQLab one, but honestly, I really couldn't tell much difference between it and regular old 9 degreee bars so took the gamble on the SQLab and am super stoked. This bar is priced right to try and if nothing make it onto the commuter.

Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Salsa also updated that bar and now offer something similar but wider, the Bend Deluxe at 740mm. Also now have an 11 degree Rustler Deluxe available in 750 or 800.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

psycho cyclo addict
    Nice bars for sure.

I run silver Mary bars on one of my rigid SS 29er's and low rise no sweep carbon bars on the other. Tried the Mary bars on the other and it just didn't feel right (somewhat geometry dependent maybe... I dunno).
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    This past weekend I rode a mountain bike with Niner 9 bend around 700 mm wide, which is narrow compared to what I usually ride. But the 9 felt good.

I have the notion that for me a wider bar benefits from more bend.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Upcyclist
    Another SQLab 16 degree fan here. 27.5 seems like just too much.

I'm needing another bar and hoping someone else steps up and makes something closer to 16 with the price tag of that Ritchey.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send chazpat cookies.

achiever
    I've run Origin 8 Spacebars (Mary clone), On One Fleegle, Answer 20/20 & Syntace 12 degree sweeps. I moved away from the more swept bars the the Syntace 12 degree but found myself wanting to go back to a more swept bar. Along came the SQLab 16 degree bars & I love them.

I'm currently riding rigid & see that SQLab have a carbon version with 30% more flex built in. They cost a fortune, though... Anyone see or ride one of these? https://www.sq-lab.com/en/products/h...carbon-16.html

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by redwarrior View Post
    I'm currently riding rigid & see that SQLab have a carbon version with 30% more flex built in. They cost a fortune, though... Anyone see or ride one of these? https://www.sq-lab.com/en/products/h...carbon-16.html
    See post #9
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

achiever
    See post #9
    I saw that, actually -there are 2 16 degree (sorry, I have no clue how to make the degree symbol) carbon options. Are you running the 311 FL-X?

311 FL-X: https://www.sq-lab.com/en/products/h...tml#attributes

30X: https://www.sq-lab.com/en/products/h...carbon-16.html

Downcountry AF
    30x, it's super compliant, would make a great handlebar for a rigid bike.

The other carbon bar I'm super impressed with as far as ride quality/compliance is Enve, which is actually cheaper than the SQ labs. More of a traditional handlebar though.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

achiever
    30x, it's super compliant, would make a great handlebar for a rigid bike.

The other carbon bar I'm super impressed with as far as ride quality/compliance is Enve, which is actually cheaper than the SQ labs. More of a traditional handlebar though.
    Cool, thanks for the recommendations!