Yet another "which frame for me thread"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Yet another "which frame for me thread"

I am looking for a winter project and want to do an SS rig. I really like the Transition Transam, but it is a bit of a budget killer right now. Our local LBS only sells road and BMX so I am not locked into any brands as far as local support. I have ridden an SC Chameleon, and didn't like it , although that was more likely due to the setup of that individual bike. I want something steel, more than likely in a size small. I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I am undecided about going with a suspension fork, or a carbon rigid fork (White Bros. etc). It needs to have disc break mounts since I have an extra set I can throw on it. Our terrain around here is very flat so I don't need a great climber. Also, I prefer a bike with a bit of BMX feel to it. I tend to run somewhat tall bars on everything I own, but I am not looking for a dirt jump rig since I do some fairly long rides. As far as wheel size goes, I would go 26 or 29. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Well, there are a number of choices out there.

My buddy just picked up an On-One Inbred 456 to build up. He current rides an old Ibis Alibi (XC race bike.) So he's building up something more for aggressive XC/light AM. 130mm fork, 2x9 drivetrain. 180/160 cable disc.

I'm building up a Dialled Bikes Prince Albert. I have a 125mm fork and a 1x9 drivetrain I'll be running. 180/160 hydro disc.

But if you're running mostly flats, you might consider the Redline Monocog or Monocog Flight with a rigid fork. Very good price point for a whole bike. I take my 'cog on most of the local trails and have a good time.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    I was looking for the same kind of ride late last year and bought the On One 456 that I built up 1x9. Steel, climbs well but it has a definite bmx cruiser kind of feel to it. It's fast and precise when you point it down. I may pick up the slot drop inbred as well and build up a SS. Inexpensive frame with great geometry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yet another "which frame for me thread"-inbred456.jpg  

Currently in Exile
    If you like a "BMX" feel, this might be a good choice.

Based on your measurements I would look at a small frame.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    That On One looks good, and I found a good deal on a the Inbreads. What about the Orange P7? I found some decent close out deals on those as well.

mtbr member
    Can't go wrong with either the Inbreds or the Orange P7s on sale from www.unrealcycles.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I am going to order a P7 Monday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

on-one inbred, I got the forks off them too

just built so maiden voyage this weekend

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    So now that I have a frame ordered, who sells good build kits? I will need everything but wheels and brakes, although for the right price I might get those too. All I am finding are 29" kits, no 26.

mtbr member
    Try this kit, you can customize and select 26" wheels and tires.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/build...ize.aspx?bk=37

Members who have read this thread: 0