Yet another chainline question- Mtbr.com
    enjoys skidding

Yet another chainline question

You guys are going to hate this, but I have a question about chainline

I've finally got my bike together (FYI - on a Kona Smoke, 34T/12T works perfectly. Perfect chain tension with standard dropouts!), however my chainline is out.

The front chainline is 50mm, and the rear is 45mm. Obviously I want to correct this, but I have a Gusset Double Six SS conversion kit on the rear, so there is no adjustment that I am aware of. I have the chainring in place of the middle ring on the crank, and i'm not too sure what I should do to sort it out.. In hindsight, I should have got a 68mm bottom bracket, as I am currently using a 73mm with a 2.5mm spacer (which is a potential -2.5mm).

One thought I did have, (whether or not it is possible or safe?) was to use spacers on the chainring bolts? So it the bolt goes through the crank spider>spacer>chainring. Does that make sense?

In the meantime, my chainline is 5mm out - is my bike safe to ride? I really want to stop catching the damn bus to work! What is "acceptable chainline"?\

Cheers!

enjoys skidding
    I think I have just scored 2.5mm worth of adjustment but I wanted to check up with you guys first. It could well be a bit dodgey. I have a 2.5mm spacer from an old bottom bracket, so I have put it on there (I have a pic for you too). This however, means that the lockring has 2.5mm less worth of threads, which I would imagine is not acceptable.

I'm not sure whether it's something that suffers a lot of force or not? If anyone could clarify this for me it would be great.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasevr4
    In hindsight, I should have got a 68mm bottom bracket, as I am currently using a 73mm with a 2.5mm spacer (which is a potential -2.5mm).

What is "acceptable chainline"?\

I'd just measure the BB spindle and then try to get one that is 5mm shorter on the drive side (which may be as much as 10mm shorter overall, depending on whether the spindle is symmetrical or not). If you get a 68mm one (if that's your bike's BB shell width), factor in the difference. It's a $30 fix that avoids the use of spacers and the like.

I recently suffered the same problem, and fixed it the expensive way: I bought a "Euro" BMX bottom bracket (Redline Proline) with a floating spindle that allows almost limitless chainline adjustment via the use of crankarm spacers. The upside is that you can go from a 42mm chainline (using no spacers), on out to at least a 52. The downside is you need new crankarms too, since the spindle is splined.

Anyway, "acceptable chainline" is whatever you want it to be, but most people try to get within a couple of mm of "perfect."
    "America is the greatest country in the world, but that's a lot like being the prettiest waitress at Denny's."

E !

gusset

Why not sell tha gusset spacer kit and get a handlefull of spacers. I have a big lot of different size spacers for the hub. Works great. Also check sheldon browns harriscyclery.com
    for the chainring bolt spacers,they have 'em.

i don't give a shift
    In the meantime, my chainline is 5mm out - is my bike safe to ride? I really want to stop catching the damn bus to work! What is "acceptable chainline"?
    What's to worry? On a geared bike the chain moves in a range of more than 30mm. Does anyone have chainline problems with them?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    You should've gotten a kit with more spacers.
    pUt Da LiMe In Da CoKe YoU nUt

enjoys skidding
    Thanks guys. In hindsight, I shouldn't have bought the Gusset kit by the looks of it.

The Harris Cyclery page says "If you have a couple of old, worn-out cassettes lying around, you can probably take them apart and scavenge enough spacers to convert your hub to singlespeed".

I have taken two cassettes off of bikes in the past week but I haven't seen any spacers? Is this a road cassette thing?

E !

I guess it depends

Thanks guys. In hindsight, I shouldn't have bought the Gusset kit by the looks of it.

The Harris Cyclery page says "If you have a couple of old, worn-out cassettes lying around, you can probably take them apart and scavenge enough spacers to convert your hub to singlespeed".

I have taken two cassettes off of bikes in the past week but I haven't seen any spacers? Is this a road cassette thing?
    On the cassette. I know the shimano ones have small allen head bolts that hold the cluster together. Loosen those up and wallah! A handfull of spacers.

enjoys skidding
    Oh really? I looked inside and didn't see much, but I have two Shimano MTB cassettes at home. I thought they were useless!

crashes in parkinglot
    It also depends on what level (xt, xtr, lx etc) the more expensive newer one have many of the larger cogs on its own cluster / platform (for lack of better words) that can't be taken appart as easily as the older style. I know some 8sp ones were easy to take apart.

enjoys skidding
    I think one is a LX and the other is an 8 speed that came with my Kona Smoke. I'm 99% sure they both have the allen bolts though the cassette. Do the spacers look like these?

Or do they look different. If they look different, thats probably why I'm confused...
    Last edited by jasevr4; 09-03-2006 at 05:49 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Oh really? I looked inside and didn't see much, but I have two Shimano MTB cassettes at home. I thought they were useless!
    The spacers are what keeps the cogs from touching each other. An XT/XTR with a spider will only have 2-3 spacers. Lower lever cassettes have 4-6.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

enjoys skidding
    Thanks Shiggy - are they a "normal" looking spacer? (like the ones I posted above?)

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Thanks Shiggy - are they a "normal" looking spacer? (like the ones I posted above?)
    Yes, they are "normal" looking for a cassette cog spacer.

No, they do not look like the spacer in your pic. That is meant to be used behind a 7-spd cassette on an 8/9-spd hub.

Cassette cog spacers are usually plastic. They are ring shaped with square edges.

Hey! Here is an idea!
    How about you take apart one of those old cassettes you have and see what is in there?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    You can pick up spacers pretty easily online. Just get some different sized ones so you can tweak your set up.

I wear two thongs
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

enjoys skidding
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Hey! Here is an idea!
    How about you take apart one of those old cassettes you have and see what is in there?
    Yeah I know, it's just that I'm at work at the moment and I'm debating about whether or not I should buy some spacers now or wait to pull them out of my cassettes tonight!

The suspense is killing me, I haven't ridden my SS yet!

it's....
    or check with your local LBS shop guys.
    I was at Performance Bike of all places, and asked one of the mechs if they had old cassettes around, and gave me one that I took apart and scored some blue spacers.

enjoys skidding
    I got a heap from my LBS, they are all plastic though and are different colours. I pulled one apart at my place last night and they are all perfectly sized and metal. Now I just need to find another one with the same metal spacers. I am still running "half" of the Gusset kit, but I'm going to sell it off.

Either way, I got to ride it last night and this morning to work. It's bloody awesome!

34-12T setup. Perfect chain tension! I just hope my KMC SS chain doesn't stretch too much!

Members who have read this thread: 0