Yay! Another SS'er ditches the tensioner ^_^- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Yay! Another SS'er ditches the tensioner ^_^

Finally got around to ordering some half links and figuring out how to install them (not nearly as scary as I thought it would be). Turns out 32:16 is a magic ratio for my frame

The chain is pretty snug (had to install it by snapping the quick link, wrapping it around the cog and chainring, *then* putting the wheel down into the dropouts) but it backspins freely so it looks like everything is round enough. The loose side of the chain can wobble maybe half an inch at most. It's late now, but I'm looking forward to a test ride tomorrow
    Opinions are like a**holes: Sometimes they need to be punched in the face and told to STFU.

Out spokin'
    Congrats. And what have you got in your spokes there?

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Congrats. And what have you got in your spokes there?

--sParty
    Ceiling hook?

Nice job finding the magic gear OP, and good luck on the test run.

Bryan D
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

master blaster
    i think he was refering to your spokecard...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    This is an honest question... what do you do when the chain stretches? How long does one get off a chain?

Not trying to be a smart ass, just that all my SS bikes have had horizontal dropouts...

Thanks!

Ovaries on the Outside
    I'm not a huge fan of magic gear. Kind of a pain in the ass to keep up and it really just boils down to aesthetics...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    With a whole link in instead of the half link, the tensioner (push-down type) couldn't keep enough pressure on the chain to keep the 6 or so teeth engaged. Now I've got a full 8 teeth of engagement.

When the chain stretches (it's already sort of old) I have a 1st-generation Surly Singleator (which can be installed push-up style). I couldn't use the Surly on the old chain length because it hit the chainstay before taking any slack off the chain. For now, though, I get the clean no-tensioner look I also want to try using one of those six-bolt cogs to ride fixed just for yuks (deep down inside, I'm a secret hipster, hence the spoke card lol).

I was riding 32:16 anyway, so it's just sort of a happy coincidence that it works out to be my magic ratio. I'm not forcing myself to use the gearing just for the sake of having no tensioner or anything like that.

I'd eventually like to upgrade the frame to a KM or something like that with proper horizontal dropouts (or sliding/pivoted dropouts if I can afford such a frame). But for now the Diamondback Overdrive frame is keeping me happy.
    Opinions are like a**holes: Sometimes they need to be punched in the face and told to STFU.

I walk the line
    What do you guys mean by "magic ratio"? I've been riding SS on one of my rigs for years, but don't really know the lingo.

mtbr member
    "Magic gear" is a more common term. it's the gear and chain length combo at which your frame "magically" fits with the chain tight enough to ride without need of any sort of tensioning mechanism. the problem with this is that the chain will stretch and become loose at some point.

I walk the line
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle
    "Magic gear" is a more common term. it's the gear and chain length combo at which your frame "magically" fits with the chain tight enough to ride without need of any sort of tensioning mechanism. the problem with this is that the chain will stretch and become loose at some point.
    Thanks! I lurned somethin tuday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I did exactly this with my old rigid 26eer, it rides perfectly..for now. No overly tight spots, really just a hair snug from "dead on" (that small amount of ideal slack/play you should have on a SS). I've tried all manner of tensioner ..well..four, the Surly Signulator and the rennen being the most current attempts, I have a 22t cog in the rear so the singulator in "push up" mode just didnt work and had clearance from the cog issues, in "push down" mode I simply couldnt get the chain to not skip when I had to stand and mash..almost crushed "my stones" a time or two..

Nothing would work and up until I tried the Magic gear I was a devotee to the tensioner with a vertical dropout. But so far it's been superb, It's not a daily rider for me but over the past 7 months or so I cant say that I have noticed chain stretch to think of but I suspect it will happen one day, when it does I'll simply replace the chain, it was easy enough to put on and the cost is small.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    maybe use pre-stretched chain ;-P

mtbr member
    I have a half link chain, a regular chain and a regular chain with one half link to switch between to make that magic happen.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Wouldn't a half link chain and a regular chain with one half link give the same result?

I walk the line
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy
    Wouldn't a half link chain and a regular chain with one half link give the same result?
    It depends which half you're talking about. Front half or back half.
    My girlfriend stole my hipster jeans.

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    The "magic gear" feels soo right. I don't get the front half vs. back half 1/2 link reply,

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    After one ride it started making noises and feeling like it was going to skip (never did, not quite) so I put the Singleator on in push-up configuration and it's as quiet as it's going to get and doesn't feel like it's going to drop my nuts on the top tube on a hard climb.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Henrymilerr1 He was making a joke because links are 1/2" and a regular chain can be shortened by 2 links at a time or 1" (you have to take an inner and outer link out to shorten it). Half link chains can be shortened by 1/2" at a time because their links are half as long (1/4") A regular chain with a half link can be "X" and a half inches long same as a half link chain. So I made the point earlier in the thread when someone mentioned a chain with 2 half links that it would be the same as a regular chain. In other words, as long as you left 2 half links in the chain, it could only ever change in 1" increments. Hope this helps.

Members who have read this thread: 0