XX1 crankset w/8 speed chain for SS?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

XX1 crankset w/8 speed chain for SS?

I've done some searching and can't seem to find a clear answer. I can get a pretty good deal on an XX1 carbon crankset and have been toying with the idea of throwing it on my single speed specialized Crave.

For the cog, I need to run an 8 speed chain. The chain is just too tight on the cog using a 9 speed or higher. The teeth on the XX1 crankset ring is probably narrower than my current single speed ring designed for an 8 speed chain. 11 speed is 11/128th inch wide whereas 8 speed is 3/32nd inch wide. Will that 1/128th inch difference cause any issues?

I'm guessing it will be fine but was hoping to hear from someone who's already doing it before dropping the cash.

Thanks!
    Doc

mtbr member
    May 2014
    No...

Hairshirt Rider
    what cog are you running?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The one that came with the bike was just a flat stamped steel cog. I grabbed an 18t and 16t from my shop that look the same. I'm not sure what brand they are but they are just the cheap stamp steel ones.

Are any of the better cogs (Chris King, Surly, etc) compatible with the 9/10/11 speed chains?

Loving Life
    I'm running an xx1 crank (or will be when my AB oval chain ring comes in). I use 9spd chains with surly cogs as well as plain stamped ones and have yet to have an issue. I'll let you know how it works with the AB chain ring but i'm pretty sure it's fine. The 10spd chain I tries kept getting sucked by my chain ring so that was a no go

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_d View Post
    The one that came with the bike was just a flat stamped steel cog. I grabbed an 18t and 16t from my shop that look the same. I'm not sure what brand they are but they are just the cheap stamp steel ones.

Are any of the better cogs (Chris King, Surly, etc) compatible with the 9/10/11 speed chains?
    Better off to go with a Surly, Niner, Chris King ect cog. Those cheap ones are made out of thin stamped steel and they could gouge into your hub body over time. I don't see why the Surly and Niner cogs that I run couldn't accept a 9 or 10 speed chain but I have never tried.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    crave with xo1 cranks, and ring, endless cog, and a 10 spd chain. works fine, no issues, at all.

mtbr member
    An 8 speed chain will work fine on any 10 or 11 speed crankset/chainring. The 8 speed chain will actually be more durable than the thinner 10 or 11 speed stuff. I do agree that when you find the gear ration you are sticking with, you should get a better rear cog with a wider base.