Down South Yooper

New question here. XTR Spider Adapter Question

OK, so I've been working on a project involving an XTR 950 cranks. I'm converting them for SS use, and I've been lurking ebay for an adapter. Well, I find one, at webcyclery too, bonus, I can get the ring, guard, everything, one stop. Swell.

I called the guys up over at the shop, and got an adapter, ring and guard on order. I was told that the AC adapter wasn't available, but there's an LX adapter, good enough. So I get everything tonight, load it all up onto the arm, and when I tighten it onto the spindle, it binds.

It looks like the LX adapter is thicker than the XTR ring that comes off there, and is causing the spider lockring to bottom out on the BB cup before the 8mm bolt is tight. Bummer.

I figure that I can get a longer spindle for the BB, but I'm afraid about what that will do to my chainline. I'd really like to use the XTR setup, but it's becoming a bit of a headache. Any solutions out there? I've searched, and didn't see an obvious fix here, other than the spindle length. Any hints?

BTW, I'm not unhappy with webcyclery, This isn't all that common an application, wouldn't necessarily expect this to be obvious knowledge type stuff. Also, I didn't relay my BB info when I ordered, so how would they know?

Thanks all.

Plum

The Top Cap Guy
    Check your PM Plum...

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

uncompliant

Middleburn...

I just got a Middleburn XTR spider for my m950s which worked just fine on my new lightweight ss project. They went together very nicely and if think Middleburn stuff is available somewhere over there - might not be cheap though I guess.

However - after a decent test ride it seems the splines on the driveside arm are a bit mashed (I'm getting just a bit of movement from them). Which is a great shame as they're lovely cranks. I'm going to try matching them up to a standard octalink BB in a last ditch attempt to make some use out of them - a friend did this half by accident and it fairly neatly recut the crank splines to fit ;-)

But if it doesn't work then there's an XTR spider going spare - it can't cost thay much to post across the pond can it?

Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    OK, so I've been working on a project involving an XTR 950 cranks. I'm converting them for SS use, and I've been lurking ebay for an adapter. Well, I find one, at webcyclery too, bonus, I can get the ring, guard, everything, one stop. Swell.

I called the guys up over at the shop, and got an adapter, ring and guard on order. I was told that the AC adapter wasn't available, but there's an LX adapter, good enough. So I get everything tonight, load it all up onto the arm, and when I tighten it onto the spindle, it binds.

It looks like the LX adapter is thicker than the XTR ring that comes off there, and is causing the spider lockring to bottom out on the BB cup before the 8mm bolt is tight. Bummer.

I figure that I can get a longer spindle for the BB, but I'm afraid about what that will do to my chainline. I'd really like to use the XTR setup, but it's becoming a bit of a headache. Any solutions out there? I've searched, and didn't see an obvious fix here, other than the spindle length. Any hints?

BTW, I'm not unhappy with webcyclery, This isn't all that common an application, wouldn't necessarily expect this to be obvious knowledge type stuff. Also, I didn't relay my BB info when I ordered, so how would they know?

Thanks all.

Plum

mtbr member
    Profile designs ( http://www.profile-design.com/produc...nk_alpine.html )used the same kind of xtr m95x interface on their carbon cranks, that one should be more widely available than others and may be a little thinner. No promises since I have not done this.
    Jobu
    "No children have ever meddled with the Republican Party and lived to tell about it"-Sideshow Bob

"When I look at the smiles on all the children's faces, I just know they're about to jab me with something."-Homer

Do It Yourself

LX spider won't work...

Somewhere in the great bowels of the Shimano wisdom, there is a reason that makes sense (at least from their perspective). Until I get the divine revelation, I'm guessing just to be a pain in the rear.

The good news is something that works is readily available. What you really want is this...

https://www.bti-usa.com/item.asp?ite...wSec=0&filter=

Available at any LBS that orders from BTI wholesale distributor. AC, Profile, etc make spiders that fit but not as perfectly as the Shimano spiders.
    Long Live Long Rides

Let me ask my wife
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.” John F. Kennedy

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004

Another possibility

Have you looked into the one offered by Vuelta? See http://www.vueltausa.com/acc2.html ; it may be a POS - I have no experience with it - but you never know. FWIW,
    - Joe

Down South Yooper

Thanks

Thanks for all the ideas, I should have mentioned that I'm looking to run 94mm 5 bolt gear, to match a couple other bikes. I can probably send the LX adapter back to webcyclery, now it's just down to finding a 5 arm spider, anybody familiar with any of the veulta dealers? Anybody got a spare that they'd like to part with?

If I can't find a 5 arm, I can probably send everything back, and change to 4 arm, but I'm so close to having all the 5 arm stuff work, it's just outside my grasp....

I guess the other question to ask is, does anybody know what length BB would be appropriate in a Surly Cross Check for a 1x9 setup? Could be that i can run a longer BB and not be too bad off, then my LX adapter should work, right?

Sorry to pollute the SS forum with the 1x9 question, but this is where all the knowledge is...

Plum

my knees hurt
    I have a used XTR 116 x 73mm bottom bracket in my garage. What size bb are you running now? You could give my bb a try to see if your chainline would work. Let me know, Mark.

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe
    Have you looked into the one offered by Vuelta? See http://www.vueltausa.com/acc2.html ; it may be a POS - I have no experience with it - but you never know. FWIW,
    - Joe
    I use this vuelta thing with success on m952 cranks.

edit: mine actually say 'avitar standaptor' on them. it is the same xtr grey color and works well.
    Only boring people get bored.

Do It Yourself

Oh 5 arm...

This one will work...

https://www.bti-usa.com/item.asp?ite...wSec=0&filter=

But they are currently out of stock. I've also used the Black Spire and Avitar spiders. Both of these worked fine but might require a bit of dremel work if you want to use a bashguard or big ring.
    Long Live Long Rides

jl
    climb
    That's what I have on my SS. It works good, I have a 34 and 32 that I've been switching based on the local.
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

Down South Yooper

Hey singlespeedsycip

Thanks for the offer, please check your PM's.

Plum
    Last edited by Plum; 05-18-2005 at 06:22 PM. Reason: spellin.

my knees hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    Thanks for the offer, please check your PM's.

Plum
    Not a problem, PM sent.