XTR M952 conversion to Single Speed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

XTR M952 conversion to Single Speed

Update 4 APR 15

Problem solved! Thanks to all the great advice here....amazingly quick fix.

**Middleburn makes the spider 112mm-->104BCD conversion. NO ONE at shimano even had a clue. Guy in GA, sells in local in the US :
    MTB Tandems | Home

Thanks to all the people that responded. You would think in NYC, where everyone seems to think they not only KNOW everything, but you can find ANYTHING, you could solve this. Nope. All these cocky, ego maniac-fixie-skinny pants wearing hipsters don't have a clue. You wouldn't believe the advice, answers and service I got and I tried over 1/2 dozen shops.

Installed a Surley singulator, spacer kit and wanted to use my original middle chain ring on the XTR-M952 crank set, its a 34t.

Problem #1: chain is skipping, bc most likely the middle chain ring is too worn out, and under high torque its skipping over the shark teeth worn places. I need to find a new chain ring.

Problem #2: The proprietary system of this XTR have the BCD at 112mm ( I think) ...its def not 104, which is what everyone says to use.

So, I need to either A) find a new spider that will fit a 4 bolt 112mm patter of this XTR M952 or....find a new 34-36t chain ring that will fit on the existing spider.

I have really exhausted a lot of searches on this and called most reputable shops in NYC. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Lastly, I heard a brit company Middleburn and a place in Denver, (homebrew) had options, but no luck so far.
    Last edited by srose111; 04-04-2015 at 05:47 AM. Reason: info

mtbr member
    If you want to keep that crankset, Middleburn offers a replacement spider with 104 BCD.

Middleburn XTR M952 Replacement spider

Pricey though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

m952 spider conversion

paqrat:

Thanks !!!! If that works, you are the MAN! everyone under the sun told me "not available". Ill check with middle burn!

appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by paqrat View Post
    If you want to keep that crankset, Middleburn offers a replacement spider with 104 BCD.

Middleburn XTR M952 Replacement spider

Pricey though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    $76? Yikes. Plus $35 for a new cr... I just bought an XT crankset on price point, with bb, for 135, and that's got a brand new 32t cr on it... you could probably get something for your old rig, and the other two rings on ebay. Guess XT is nothing to scream about but dang. Way I look at it, when you go ss you're stripping it down to just cranks and an axle. It isn't even about the rings, you'll have a collection of them before long. Part of the reason I went with the XT is because, when you strip it down that far, once you cross the threshold of being "good enough", there just didn't seem to be that much difference between one Shimano product and the next, just looking strictly at the cranks themselves. Well anyway, I don't know, but there are some good deals out there on even burly cranksets (eg RF Atlas, $140), one option to consider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

re: tampa dave Raceface idea

Tampadave:

thanks for the idea. I looked at the race face stuff...pretty cool actually.

So if you buy the atlas cranks, don't you have to buy a new BB, Chainring etc? the whole 9 yards?

How did you come up with the $140 price???

Quote Originally Posted by TampaDave View Post
    $76? Yikes. Plus $35 for a new cr... I just bought an XT crankset on price point, with bb, for 135, and that's got a brand new 32t cr on it... you could probably get something for your old rig, and the other two rings on ebay. Guess XT is nothing to scream about but dang. Way I look at it, when you go ss you're stripping it down to just cranks and an axle. It isn't even about the rings, you'll have a collection of them before long. Part of the reason I went with the XT is because, when you strip it down that far, once you cross the threshold of being "good enough", there just didn't seem to be that much difference between one Shimano product and the next, just looking strictly at the cranks themselves. Well anyway, I don't know, but there are some good deals out there on even burly cranksets (eg RF Atlas, $140), one option to consider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Paqrat....well there must be some serendipity with your moniker. Im in PA school and our study pack for the National Boards is called "Packrat"....just an interesting side note.

Thanks a million for finding this. I just ordered from MTB Tandems and even though it was expensive it was worth getting a new spider that coverts to 104BCD. Now I can buy any chain ring on the planet and not have to worry about this propriety Bull#$%it with shimano!

Thanks again. Have a good holiday

mtbr member
    Another cheaper way to go is check eBay for for some older Shimano XT 750 cranks or the LX 571 (oops, should be LX 570) cranks. Both have removeable spiders that can be added to the XTR95x cranks! I found a set of the XT cranks for under $15 on eBay. OF course the arms were all beat up, but the spider was excellent! I just wish someone would make spiderless rings again as I love these cranks!
    Last edited by bkirby10; 04-03-2015 at 01:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    thanks Kirby

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    That particular price on ebay didn't include the bb or chainring. It's a good deal but I could see that if you're looking for extra-strong DH cranks you start getting into another whole thing.

But if a person doesn't need extra-beefy cranks, I'm not sure there's a world of difference in terms of the crank itself from the less expensive sets to the more expensive sets. Read on some other forum where some OCD fellow took apart a bunch of shimano cranksets, weighed the crankarms. Said the arms themselves were very similar across the product line, it was all the other stuff, that you don't use single-speeding, that accounted for most of the differences between product lines. That kind of made sense to me, plus as I looked at more and more expensive sets, the cranks wind up getting heavier. It was just overkill. I did wind up getting new cranks, but mainly because I wanted to try a shorter length; going with an XT showed an unusual amount of focus and restraint for me.

But, that's just me. And I've never loved a set of cranks the way people seem to love their M952's.

For those who are shopping, there are great deals out there on the lighter raceface units, set up as single cr, shipping with very decent rings. Harder to find good deals on Shimano products.

ss is a whole different kettle of fish. Never thought I could be so delighted to get a cog in the mail. "Look honey." Had my calipers out. "Check that out. 6.35mm!" It's just different. Wait'll you find that magic gear ratio that allows you to ditch that pos chain tensioner, you'll think you died and went to heaven over a $10 piece of stamped steel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Buy truvativ gxp stylo 1.1 single speed crank and bb off eBay for $75. The bearings are easy to clean. Then sale your xtr group set on eBay. It is still a very highly demanded set.