XTR 952 conversion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

XTR 952 conversion

I'm converting a Ritchey Plexus to SS. I've got a XTR 952 crankset with the large and middle "attached". Is it possible to just get a middle without the large on this crank?
    Jim

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboCO
    I'm converting a Ritchey Plexus to SS. I've got a XTR 952 crankset with the large and middle "attached". Is it possible to just get a middle without the large on this crank?
    Jim
    Yes. You'll need to remove the chainrings from the crank. On the backside there is a small circular spring retainer, then just remove the lockring with an XTR BB tool. Once this is off you can either add one of These XTR one piece rings or get an AC 5 arm spider and use whatever 5 arm ring you want.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the reply. Are these XTR single rings available other than ebay just in case?
    Jim

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the reply. Are these XTR single rings available other than ebay just in case?
    Jim
    Jericho also used to make them and I believe Boone does pricey Ti ones. I'd try to find an AC or OEM shimano 5 arm spider as you can use any 5 arm ring you want. See my setup below. I also used a Shimano Ultegra 109mm road BB to shorten the q-factor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Do not touch the trim"

try driving your car less
    Jim
    the spiders from profile design also work.
    i have one that is labeled 'avitar standaptor' that has worked for years.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Cool. It looks like I have a few options. I'm just running it now on the middle with the large still attached. I just wanted to get something "cleaner"
    Jim

mtbr member
    One other option is to loose the middle ring, and just run the large ring. You can use a 22t ~ 25t cog on the back, and get similar ratios as using the middle ring. I run 44:22, 46:24 on one of my bikes.

try driving your car less
    Cool. It looks like I have a few options. I'm just running it now on the middle with the large still attached. I just wanted to get something "cleaner"
    Jim
    i have always loved the plexus. post a pic when it's done.
    if the big ring you have is a bit wasted you can just grind down the teeth and keep it as a bashguard. the aluminum grinds down very fast on a bench grinder. or trail rocks.
    Only boring people get bored.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    if the big ring you have is a bit wasted you can just grind down the teeth and keep it as a bashguard. the aluminum grinds down very fast on a bench grinder. or trail rocks.
    That's a good idea, I have never thought about that.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Are you having it converted to EBB?? If you are, please post pictures as I would be interested to see the results.

My Plexus really needs a repaint or powdercoat and I think it would make a sweet singlespeed, especially with EBB. Of course, the cost of the conversion, quality repaint, plus the pimp 1" rigid fork I want built and painted to match would probably be beyond my spending limit.

Members who have read this thread: 0