(x post) widest chain on the hammerschmidt- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

(x post) widest chain on the hammerschmidt

i want to run a single speed rear setup but i have the hammerschmidt , dont know if a single speed chain will run on it, or can i find a rear single speed setup to run on the 9 speed chain?

i posted this in drivetrain 8hrs ago and no responded so i crossed posted here

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    LOL
    the term "single speed chain"... nothing to do with width.
    single speed chains just have less formed sideplates.
    run a sram pc1 3/32 width chain and you're fine.
    3/32 is 8-speed chain width, even though the hammerschmidt's designed with 9 in mind, you'll be fine.

you wanna start getting gucci with 1/8 chains or chains with fat sideplates?
    you're going to have to try them. example: a KMC 3/32 kool chain may be the same internal width as the PC-1 (so it fits on the cog/chainring the same way) but they butched up the sideplates so much the overall width is pretty different.
    not a factor on an ACTUAL singlespeed, but it means you'll have to slide one into the 'shmidt and see whether it rubs on the sides of the mechanism/the 'guards.

BTW: 8 hrs for an answer? not excactly reason to be concerned, I would've called SRAM themselves and gotten an exact measurement of the inside of the hammershmidt, then figure out which butchy gucci chains might fit.
    (or use the old standby PC1)
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

meow, meow.
    bhigdon101, what is the frame on your build? Have you built and tested the bike?
    26" rigid SS 4130 BB7 nylon-flats ESI latex-tubes non-lubricated-8spd

Members who have read this thread: 0