X-Post from Salsa: Any long term reports on Alternator Dropouts on the El Mariachi?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

X-Post from Salsa: Any long term reports on Alternator Dropouts on the El Mariachi?

Now that people have been using them for over a year, I am curious how they are holding up. They seem like they would take the full brunt of any hit/day to day wear, and I'm not if they would keep chain tension in the long run.

Do these develop play in the long term? Do they hold tension as well as horizontal drops?

I am torn between the El Mariachi and a Surly Karate Monkey for my simple singlespeed build. I definitely like the looks of the Salsa better, and vertical dropouts are more convenient, but will they hold up and be less of a hassle than standard horizontal dropouts?

Apr 2007
    Had mine since March. Zero issues. Only hassle is the three different bolt sizes to tension. I have experienced no slippage or creaking.

I like it enough that I'm looking for an Ala Carte frame as well to replace my old Stumpjumper frame. Too bad Salsa dropped it from the 2012 line up.

lord of my world
    No problems at all.

surly inbred

Apr 2007
    Yeah, get an El Mar and ride the Divide next year with TroutBum and I. We should be mozing across the finish by 2013.

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    Yeah, get an El Mar and ride the Divide next year with TroutBum and I. We should be mozing across the finish by 2013.
    Like I said, second place is a lock. I just need to remember to pre-register for the following two years.

Hard to complain about the el Mar. My one nit was covered.. three wrenches sizes is cumbersome. Otherwise it's down to a respectable weight & is crazy versatile.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Been riding mine since February. No issues with the dropouts. Chain is tight as a tiger. Bike strong like truck. Seriously... I'm extremely satisfied.