(x-post from cyclocross) my new fixie cx commuter- Mtbr.com
    blame me for missed rides

(x-post from cyclocross) my new fixie cx commuter

(i saw a post regarding fixie commuter a while ago, so i thought i'd post this here as well)

built this bike to replace my stolen commuter. the goal is to have a simple reliable bike to commute with and ride mild trails for fun. it's a fixed gear despite the brakes. mustache handlebar from benscycle, mini-v's for the panic stops.

the frame, fork and headset is a set from biksdirect. the frame is apparently not designed for proper CXing evidenced by the under toptube cable stops. compared to my other CX bike, a soma double cross, this frame has shorter wheelbase, shorter top tube and higher BB height. while i gain ground clearance i was a bit worried about its stability on trails. also, my frame came with rear brake studs welded off-center by a few millimeters. although it's within the adjustment of the brake pad, this particular frame is better off being a fixie than a singlespeed.

it was claimed that the rear triangle will accommodate wide tires. the tires in the pic are hutchinson acrobats, labelled at 37c but more like 33c to 35c. anything wider than that will have to be way back in the dropout. the mfr claim isn't false, you just have to be careful setting things up.

it's my first mustache setup and i have to say i was a bit underwhelmed. i wish the bends (where the brake levers sit) were wider, the end sections longer, spread wider and point down a bit more. i realized that what i really wanted was a dirt drop with shorter top section. i think these 52cm mustache bars are better for smaller hands.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (x-post from cyclocross) my new fixie cx commuter-dsc01722-large-.jpg  

(x-post from cyclocross) my new fixie cx commuter-dsc01723-large-.jpg  

master blaster
    cross is so much fun. i finally figured out the perfect ratio for mine and rode the other day. i did 30 miles and passed every mountain biker i saw on the trail. one guy passed me going down through the rocks but he got a flat halfway through ha.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

Members who have read this thread: 0