WTF so many DM chainring spline patterns?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

WTF so many DM chainring spline patterns?

Why Why Why ?

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Agreed, it's pretty ridiculous. I'd imaging there may be some rights issues or design issues when manufacturers first engineered their specification. But, Raceface went with Cannondale's existing standard. It's not like there weren't existing options that would necessitate us to end up with double digit direct mount patterns.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    There are really only two main ones. SRAM and race face/cannondale. The rest are such small players. With the variety of options in cranks that fit those two camps I have no idea why people would even buy a crank that is not one of those.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm talking about the chainring/spider splines, not the spindle/crank axle splines. RaceFace and Cannondale are different. In fact, very few are the same. FSA's newest are the same as Cannondale which may finally help give more choices in chainring offset (the biggest problem with direct mount IMO).

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by B R H View Post
    I'm talking about the chainring/spider splines, not the spindle/crank axle splines. RaceFace and Cannondale are different. In fact, very few are the same. FSA's newest are the same as Cannondale which may finally help give more choices in chainring offset (the biggest problem with direct mount IMO).
    Opps, totally correct. For some reason I thought that RF kept the chainring interface and not just the crank arm interface.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, wouldn't that be nice if RF and Cannondale were more similar? I like RF's use of ISIS splined lockring. Mixed opinion on self-extracting crank bolts. I think I'd prefer something more like Shimano uses which would allow simple multi-tool to be used. Who carries around or even owns a 16 mm hex?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My understanding is FSA uses the same spline as Cannondale. E-thirteen looks very similar but apparently is different. SRAM and Shimano are different. A simple totally symmetric pattern would be best so that rings can be flipped and rotated. Rings, including ovals, could then be run both directions for nearly twice the longevity. What a concept hey?

The term "standard" has always been a joke in the bike industry but this mess has to take the cake.

mtbr member
    Who carries around or even owns a 16 mm hex?
    I do. Its a ridiculous tool. Interestingly I got it made to order from Planet Cyclery. They sent me RF Next cranks with the wrong spindle, sent me the replacement spindle and I was like WTF? How do you want me to change this out? They went to Fastenal a few doors down and and had one custom made for me.

It will only ever do one thing. I agree its a stupid idea on RFs part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My bikes are faster than me.

Downcountry AF
    This kind of drives me nuts too. I like RF cranks for a lot of stuff, but I have 3 Shimano cranks I'm not ready to give up. And most recently I have a strong desire to use White Industries cranks.

At a glance it looks like a RF Cinch interface, but alas it's different too so I could only use their chainrings. I don't mind that for the cross bike, I still might go that route, but I want an oval on my SS 29er. Sorry WI, deal breaker.

The cranks are cool though, you can swap the spindle and use your MTB cranks on your fatbike for the winter, or whatever.

WTF so many DM chainring spline patterns?-wi-chainring.jpg

Name:  WI crank.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  55.0 KB
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    ....Who carries around or even owns a 16 mm hex?
    On trips I carry this...
    https://www.raceface.com/products/de...to-8mm-adapter

I have also successfully used a bolt head (forget what size bolt) found in someones shop while out on a trip. Saved my ride. That was before I had the nifty RF tool.
    @adamalphabet

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah I've seen that. Few multitools would provide enough leverage to achieve the torque spec. May be useful in an emergency though.

Is there a patent protecting the Shimano method?

mtbr member
    4 bolt 104mm BCD forever.

Rippin da fAt
    Why Why Why ?
    Because an industry standard would take the drama out of the picture...

Each company would rather a bike shop have to carry 8000 chainring types/sizes as opposed to dozens, without thinking about lost sales for any given brand. Interchangeability? What, are you high??
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    It is a pain, but nothing new. 15 years ago there were also a bunch of different direct mount standards. But really, SRAM and Race Face make up like 90% of the market, so I'd stick with those as it gives you the most options for manufacturer, size, offset, etc.

I really like direct mount chainrings and always have. Such a clean way to mount a single ring for singlespeed or 1x setups. Back in the day I had some awesome Boone and then HBC titanium direct mount chainring for my XTR cranks, sweet setup!

I personally like the SRAM setup, super easy to remove 3 small torx bolts, and I already carry that tool anyway.
    BOONE XTR.jpg
    Last edited by bikeny; 03-07-2018 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Add pictures!

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post

I really like direct mount chainrings and always have. Such a clean way to mount a single ring for singlespeed or 1x setups. Back in the day I had some awesome Boone and then HBC titanium direct mount chainring for my XTR cranks, sweet setup!

BOONE XTR.jpg
    The M952 and XT equivalent with the aftermarket direct mount chainrings was a standard way ahead of its time, assuming that the one you're talking about. We could have skipped 15 - 20 years of incremental BS including rapid rise and dual control levers and just gone to 11 or 12 speed from the start.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    This is why WolfTooth came out with CAMO. It helps bike shops since they do not need to stock so many unique rings.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/camo
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tedsti View Post
    This is why WolfTooth came out with CAMO. It helps bike shops since they do not need to stock so many unique rings.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/camo
    Interesting idea with 2 big drawbacks. First, you are back to using bolts to hold your chainring on. That's one of the biggest reasons to go with a direct mount ring, no more bolts to loosen/break/loose. Second, you can only run down to a 28T chainring. For a singlespeed, that's fine, but for a 1x setup, especially running big diameter wheels like a 29+ or fatbike, it's nice to have the option of running a 26t or even a 24t chainring.