wtb flared bars- Mtbr.com

Thread: wtb flared bars

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

wtb flared bars

it has probably been discussed before but any thoughts on the wtb over the midge bars other than the oversized bar. thanks

bikes are people too
    where could we find a picture?
    2009 Santa Cruz Chameleon
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 4
    1973 Schwinn World Sport (Fixed)

Harmonius Wrench

25.4mm coming

They have a 25.4mm clamp diameter bar coming. I saw the sample at Interbike. I tried to upload the photo I took but it's not posting today.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

The OS clamp was a serious brainfart on their part. The max rise on suitable stems is, what, 15 degrees?

The design looks promising, one thing I don't like about the midges is the too-short hooks, the WTB design looks like it might fix that.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Wow. 3 degrees of flare. Stop the presses, this is one helluva breakthrough.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    The OS clamp was a serious brainfart on their part. The max rise on suitable stems is, what, 15 degrees?

The design looks promising, one thing I don't like about the midges is the too-short hooks, the WTB design looks like it might fix that.
    Dimension is doing an OS clamp 35-degree.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Sweet!

Now, who's gotta WTB?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Shiggy along the lines of the proper stem set up

A little birdie (Mark Slate) once told me all WTB drops were manufactured by Nitto, however was the WTB drop manufactured in both 26mm clamp and 25.4mm clamp od? I have a late model version of the WTB drop it is definitely 25.4mm. I am just curious.

There were definetly LD stems manufactured for 26 mm because Mr. Cunningham's preferred a certain model of Cinelli road bar to make the off road modification. When the Specialized RM2 was manufactured however I believe all bars were manufactured for 25.4mm?

VTW

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

new wide flare soon

the bar that WTB made last year was the 31.8 TXC that only had 3 degrees of flare, but the new mountain drop bar will have significantly more flare, like a midge or even the old WTB drops of days gone by.

available sometime in january 07.

should be fun, and they will have 25.4 as well.

nate
    "believe what you ride, not what you read" 94 WTB catalog

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by victorthewombat
    A little birdie (Mark Slate) once told me all WTB drops were manufactured by Nitto, however was the WTB drop manufactured in both 26mm clamp and 25.4mm clamp od? I have a late model version of the WTB drop it is definitely 25.4mm. I am just curious.

There were definetly LD stems manufactured for 26 mm because Mr. Cunningham's preferred a certain model of Cinelli road bar to make the off road modification. When the Specialized RM2 was manufactured however I believe all bars were manufactured for 25.4mm?

VTW
    I believe there were 26.2 (Cinelli size) and later 25.4 bars. Charlie (and later Scot Nichol) used hand-flared Cinelli Criterium bars early on, as did I.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The 31.8 is out now

My local shop has two of the new WTB dirt drops (31.8) currently in stock. They have about the same flare as the Midge but with quite a bit more length to the bar in the drops. I am tempted to try them but I have been very hapy with the midge bars I have now. They also run about $15 more than the on-one bars.

Quote Originally Posted by cursivearmy
    the bar that WTB made last year was the 31.8 TXC that only had 3 degrees of flare, but the new mountain drop bar will have significantly more flare, like a midge or even the old WTB drops of days gone by.

available sometime in january 07.

should be fun, and they will have 25.4 as well.

nate

Members who have read this thread: 0