WTB bring back the DIRT-DROP bar for 2005/6!- Mtbr.com
    Needed Less ~ Did More

WTB bring back the DIRT-DROP bar for 2005/6!

Yes, I am slack and should have posted this as soon as I was back from Eurobike but I have been busy with other stuff!

WTB have re-vamped the DirtDrop for 2005/6, it is now black annodised, has a annatomic flat on the drop-section and a 31.8mm dia clamp. Why they chose this clamp size I don't know as there are not many 31.8dia 40deg stems out there meaning that you need a TALL head tube and/or lots of spacers :-(

Have a look at my blog for pictures....including the WTB singlespeed rear hub!

Alex
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Yep...

You nailed it.... looks like a Bell Lap with a bit more flair on the bottom. Trying to find a 40d stem in 26.0 for my old Salsa was bad enough but 31.8 is going to be really tough. Sounds like WTB can carve out a niche here with a 31.8 x 40d stem offering. I'm thankfull for the Midge!

l-dub

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by l-dub1
    Trying to find a 40d stem in 26.0 for my old Salsa was bad enough but 31.8 is going to be really tough.

l-dub
    Dimension offers 5 different lengths:

http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?Page...x=0&Submit.y=0

baker

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeedpunk
    ...has a anatomic flat on the drop-section and a 31.8mm dia clamp...
    Two big strikes against it for me. The "anatomical" drop bar shapes put my hands to sleep.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    I'm pretty sure the final production will end up in 25.4 bar clamp size. The anatomic shape on the bars in the photos feels way different than Bell Laps. I plan on using them when they are available. Heck, that's just another reason to build up a new bike!

those are Rollercams...
    Not crazy about the looks or the clamp size but I haven't tried it either. Maybe it's me but WTB seems to be a lot more superficial since Steve and Charlie left.They had an almost flawless design and turned their backs on it. Now they're back in the game because there's a renewed interest in off road drops. I realize it's a business but they seem way too concerned with what's trendy and the quick buck, plus I'm not real impressed with the quality of a lot of their products these days.

Rant over.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    That really is a most curious design. It feels like they've opted to compete against Salsa rather than take on On*One.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Two big strikes against it for me. The "anatomical" drop bar shapes put my hands to sleep.
    That's the exact same problem that I had with the Salsa's! I thought that the flat section would help my wrist pain but it was the opposite... The Midge's or older WTB's just work better for me in that respect. I'd still like to try a set of the new WTB's though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    That really is a most curious design. It feels like they've opted to compete against Salsa rather than take on On*One.
    They're not crazy :-)

Members who have read this thread: 0