Wrong Fork? Please help me confirm.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Wrong Fork? Please help me confirm.

Hey all I'm a n00b to mtb riding, so if this all sounds obvious, bear with me.

I picked up one of the Jamis Exile SS frames from Jenson, and bought a used Surly 1x1 fork for it, and took it to my LBS for installation. Well, the steerer wasn't quite long enough, so I tried to order another one from them. About a week later I get a call from them saying that that is the wrong fork, and that they "checked the specs" and my bike needs a fork for suspension corrected geometry and so I require a 100mm fork. So I order and Instigator, and they install it.

Once I got the rest of the bike together and off the stand, It just looked and felt off. First ride was great, despite this, but it still felt odd. So i dug around, and it looks like these originally shipped with 80mm suspension forks. So this means the 1x1 was the right fork afterall, right?

I'm assuming so. Now to decide how to approach the LBS...

Apr 2007
    Your LBS is actually right. 1x1 is 80mm suspension corrected and Instigator is 100mm, which I believe is what your Exile is. Here is an older thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=544062

But if the Exile is designed around 80mm suspension, then yes, get a 1x1 fork. Which is only $50 or so new, so not a huge expense.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    that definitely looks a little raked out, but maybe my eyes are decieving me. If they told you the wrong thing, then they should be responsible for fixing it, but obviously make sure first.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yeah, it looks way raked out. The image might make it looks slightly more so, but still.

p_nut, I'm pretty sure they're wrong. The thread you link to is for a 2007, which is when I believe they started using 100mm forks. Check out this snippet from the 2006 catalog:

(slightly modified to increase readability)

If mountain forks are listed the same numerically for suspension and rigid, (ie: you replace an 80mm sus fork with an 80mm rigid one) then I have the wrong fork on this bike.
    I just wanted to confirm here, as obviously I know NOTHING about squishy forks.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by killsurfcity
    Yeah, it looks way raked out. The image might make it looks slightly more so, but still.

p_nut, I'm pretty sure they're wrong. The thread you link to is for a 2007, which is when I believe they started using 100mm forks. Check out this snippet from the 2006 catalog:

(slightly modified to increase readability)

If mountain forks are listed the same numerically for suspension and rigid, (ie: you replace an 80mm sus fork with an 80mm rigid one) then I have the wrong fork on this bike.
    I just wanted to confirm here, as obviously I know NOTHING about squishy forks.
    yea, if you bring that to them, they should agree with ya and take care of it.

mtbr member
    I would ride it a few times and see how you like it . The 1x1 fork is 413mm axle to crown , the instigator is 445mm , but I have a fox F80(a 80mm travel fork) that is 457mm axle to crown minus 12mm recommended sag = 445mm . Just like the instigator . When I switch from the 1x1 fork to the F80 there is a large difference in the way the bike handles , but either is ok . It just takes a couple rides adjust .

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just ordered a 1x1 fork. I'll tell the LBS at some point. I'm there once a week anyway.

I'm going to hold on to the instigator until I've compared the forks, cuz who knows, I might like it better. I'm just kind of annoyed this happened still, cuz i just want to ride, not worry about frakin parts!

Stokeless Asshat
    One way around this problem is to have your LBS supply the parts next time. In the end it works out for both of you.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    How's that? Since I was right and they were wrong. If I had them order it I'd have the same problem I am now. Did you read the thread?

Members who have read this thread: 0