The "wrong bike" thread- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    628

    New question here. The "wrong bike" thread

    Do you ride the "wrong bike" for some reason?

    I know I do, almost all of the time. Someone is always commenting that I need more travel, less travel, rigid is crazy, old school XC geo will kill you, new school geo doesn't work, and so on.

    My latest bike is a mix of old and new. Chromoly, single speed, long travel fork and a dropper post. 29er of course.

    Sure, I could miss the XC race geo of my last ss on certain trails, but then again seat down and monster trucking is fun too!

    What's your "wrong bike" these days?

    The "wrong bike" thread-2018-rsd-middle-child.jpg
    I like bikes

  2. #2
    Up In Smoke
    Reputation: Train Wreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,458
    Sounds like you ride with the "wrong" crowd. Nice bike

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Sounds like you ride with the "wrong" crowd. Nice bike
    Thanks! It's mostly parking lot banter.
    I like bikes

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9,027
    "wrong" is subjective, except, perhaps in extreme circumstances like real freeride trails. the regular Tuesday night rides that I enjoy has rigid single speeders, carbon fibre FS gearies, and everything in between. the fastest guy who is always at the front of the pack and riding at a puke-inducing pace (for me) is on a steel SS with a 100mm fork, while the ringmaster who plans the rides and sweeps the noobs has a fancy carbon FS with a dropper. everyone has a good time and one's place among the moving group is 100% about rider ability, not the bike.

  5. #5
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,976
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    the regular Tuesday night rides that I enjoy has rigid single speeders, carbon fibre FS gearies, and everything in between. the fastest guy who is always at the front of the pack and riding at a puke-inducing pace (for me) is on a steel SS with a 100mm fork, while the ringmaster who plans the rides and sweeps the noobs has a fancy carbon FS with a dropper. everyone has a good time and one's place among the moving group is 100% about rider ability, not the bike.
    This sounds just like our Wednesday night crew.

  6. #6
    aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    "wrong" is subjective, except, perhaps in extreme circumstances like real freeride trails. the regular Tuesday night rides that I enjoy has rigid single speeders, carbon fibre FS gearies, and everything in between. the fastest guy who is always at the front of the pack and riding at a puke-inducing pace (for me) is on a steel SS with a 100mm fork, while the ringmaster who plans the rides and sweeps the noobs has a fancy carbon FS with a dropper. everyone has a good time and one's place among the moving group is 100% about rider ability, not the bike.
    I agree that's it's all about the rider not the bike.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azjonboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,671
    Well said!
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-08-2011, 03:50 AM
  2. ... the official "whats wrong with this" thread
    By floibex in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-23-2008, 08:23 PM

Members who have read this thread: 86

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.