mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Wow! '06 Monocogs come with 135mm rear dropouts

Pretty cool. Looks like they added a 21" size as well.

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion
    Pretty cool. Looks like they added a 21" size as well.
    That would be cool. Those Alex DH19 rims and Redline hubs that came on my steel Monocog have been screaming replacement, and I'm thinking (110mm rear BMX spacing) Phil Wood hubs and Mavic EX721 rims. Also been looking at new 180mm cranks (RaceFace and TruVativ) and the chainline issues with the current offerings, 135mm rear spacing would have been welcome, but I'll find some new cranks even if I have to go ISIS or keep square taper (gee, I could use a Phil BB then... hmm...) and eventually get this thing the way I want it anyway.

Cheers,

Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

French for "Suck"
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    Those Alex DH19 rims and Redline hubs that came on my steel Monocog have been screaming replacement, and I'm thinking (110mm rear BMX spacing) Phil Wood hubs and Mavic EX721 rims.
    Dude, don't drop the $$$ for phils and new rims when you can just respace the frame and use standard SS wheels. That way, you can later upgrade your frame, and use the same (good 135) wheelset. If you get Phils with 110 spacing, you can upgrade the frame, but you'll need to use a lot of spacers to get them out to 135mm when you upgrade the frame, AND you have to drop a huge chunk just to get the hubs.

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeroplane
    Dude, don't drop the $$$ for phils and new rims when you can just respace the frame and use standard SS wheels. That way, you can later upgrade your frame, and use the same (good 135) wheelset. If you get Phils with 110 spacing, you can upgrade the frame, but you'll need to use a lot of spacers to get them out to 135mm when you upgrade the frame, AND you have to drop a huge chunk just to get the hubs.
    Thanks, I know a steel frame can probably be respaced, any recommendations on a place to do this?

I don't mind the 110mm BMX spacing rear, I love the bike and don't plan to replace it. I know it is a cheap frame, but it fits me perfectly, rides great and has been serving me well. The Redline rigid fork is not bad either. If I were to want another frame in the future, I'd just build another SS and semi-retire this one to a SS commuter.

Respacing the rear would also address my chainline issues when putting new cranks on this bike.

It's funny, back in my BMX racing days, I used to race on Phil Wood hubs. Wish I still had that bike (GT, back when it was Gary Turner Racing), but those hubs were 48 hole. There are a few 110 BMX bolt-on hub options out there, but I like the idea of respacing to 135 before building new wheels. If not practical or possible though, I'm OK with the 110 spacing. It is also my only rim brake bike (of six), so I have no other current wheels that I would swap onto it, unless I were to put disk brakes on it.

I do want to keep a freewheel hub on this bike, so it will be a SS specific rear wheel that I build up anyway. 135 spacing would be nice too though. My cross bike has 135 rear spacing (and disk too), and that has come in handy.

Cheers,

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

French for "Suck"

Respacing rear dropouts

Any bike shop that's worth it's salt (or any framebuilder, for that matter) can help you out with this. They will do something called "cold-setting", which is just bending the metal until it fits. However, they'll probably do it in a way that keeps the dropouts square to each other, etc. Shouldn't cost too much.

As far as wheels, I probably did come off a bit strong, but it seemed like you were going to Phils because they were the only ones who made hubs with that spacing. Clearly, that's not the reason. And if you do want to stay with the spacing, you could look at BMX hubs; I'm pretty sure I've seen some on danscomp that are 36h. Good luck, and have fun on your mono.

blame me for missed rides
    there are tons of good 36h 110mm hubs out there. chris king if you want to go to the highest echelon.

that aside, i know of a guy who did his own coldsetting of monocog. he pretty much just got a lathe and big bolts and nuts and cranked hard until everything's 135mm apart.

nice cat btw.

Devolution is real!
    How wide of a rear tire can you put on the 110 spaced rear? I have a 2004 monocog and I was wondering. My bike is all stock.

about a 2.1 or 2.2, depending on the actual size of tire. heard that conti 2.3 is possible when hub is all the way out.

Now Uploading
    Any bike shop that's worth it's salt (or any framebuilder, for that matter) can help you out with this. They will do something called "cold-setting", which is just bending the metal until it fits. However, they'll probably do it in a way that keeps the dropouts square to each other, etc. Shouldn't cost too much.
    Thanks, I'll check into it. I know one local frame builder that has done custom work for me before, I'll call him first.

As far as wheels, I probably did come off a bit strong, but it seemed like you were going to Phils because they were the only ones who made hubs with that spacing. Clearly, that's not the reason.
    Yeah, I'm a big Phil Wood fan, I like everything they ever made and would like another set of their hubs. I rode those last Phils hard for years and never had a problem with them. And I wouldn't mind putting a Phil BB in my Redline if I go with another square taper crankset. Kings are nice, and I'm a happy Hope and Hadley owner too, but I'm thinking new Phils on this one. And I think in the case of Phill Wood, you really do get what you pay for.

Good luck, and have fun on your mono.
    Thanks!

Dave

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by weather

nice cat btw.
    Yeah, Athena is cool, has to be part of everything going on. Likes to help me work on my bikes by swatting shiny tools around and attacking swinging cables as I install them. Because you know everything I do is for her ammusement.

Dave

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by weather
    about a 2.1 or 2.2, depending on the actual size of tire. heard that conti 2.3 is possible when hub is all the way out.
    I got a 2.35 High Roller in there before, but it will rub if too far forward and there really is no clearance for mud/snow. The Maxxis Larson TT that I normally run on the back of that bike is a big 2.0, the size of most 2.1s. Yeah, I'd say in general, nothing bigger than a 2.1 on the rear there. The Maxxis Ignitor 1.95 also hooks up good for me, so I have at least a couple of tire choices I like that work good as rear tires on that bike.

I Stans converted those Alex DH19 rims and tires to tubeless, so I'm getting great traction at the pressures I like to run and don't feel the need for any bigger back tire on that bike.

Cheers,

Dave

cause it's fun
    Jan 2004
    On my 05 I'm running 2.25's on the rear...No probems. about a .25" - .5" of clearance on either side. It all depends on your chain length, and where the wheel sits in the dropouts. They did tweak the rear on the 05 to allow for a fatter tire.

On my 04 I can't go wider than a 2.1

On the hub Q. I had a set of wheels built up with a Crupi hub laced to Mavic 719 rims. Can't say enought good things about the Crupi hubs! They are the cats a$$
    http://www.crupibmx.com/hubs.htm
    bus driver wanna be

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gofast
    They did tweak the rear on the 05 to allow for a fatter tire.
    Is that official? Does anybody have pics of the new '06 tire clearance? I want a new monocog... had an '03, but couldn't cope with the short top tube (21" for 06!) and the tight rear tire clearance.

Seriously, 21" + 135mm spacing + Clearance for a 2.4 MotoRaptor = Purchase.

Any pics or OFFICIAL info would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by shizzle

Any pics or OFFICIAL info would be greatly appreciated.

Sean
    http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adult...full-specs.pdf

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Check Mine Out

06 monocog (Matte Green) 135 mm rear spacing

Green CK headset
    Matching green CK SS hubs
    Green Ti spokes
    Green Nips
    Stock rim
    Kenda Karma 2.0's
    Avid SD 7 brakes
    Avid SD 7 levers

It's Hot!!! And lightweight!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Yeah, I'm a big Phil Wood fan, I like everything they ever made and would like another set of their hubs. I rode those last Phils hard for years and never had a problem with them. And I wouldn't mind putting a Phil BB in my Redline if I go with another square taper crankset. Kings are nice, and I'm a happy Hope and Hadley owner too, but I'm thinking new Phils on this one. And I think in the case of Phill Wood, you really do get what you pay for.
    completely agree, I have phils on my fixed, messengered on them for years without any real problems, cept for the LBS screwing up my axle, which leads me to the amazing customer service they have as well. The LBS stripped my threads by pounding on the bolt to get the axle out (ask for a trune but they thought they would be nice and toss some greese in my hub), I called Brent @ Phil and told him what happened, they sent me out a new axle, no charge for shipping or the axle. When I had to replace the bearing, figured 8.5+ hours on them a day * 600+ days they might need em (but they where still going strong), the plus here is that they are CHEAP, very cheap and last a looong time. Also, to change the spacing on the hub all you need is two new spacers, so if like me, you had a frame with 130 and went to 120, it would cost you $40 or so...

So, I also have Kings on all my MTB and I love those as well, knock on wood, I've never had a problem (or really bothered) with them yet and the oldest pair is 7+ years old.

But I think if I had to purchase a new set for my SS (currently running the 7+ year olds on the SS converted) I'd go with the Phils. Just my .02.
    Last edited by usr666; 10-06-2005 at 12:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Matt, if you post a picture of the rear tire clearance you'll be my personal hero!

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Matt L
    06 monocog (Matte Green) 135 mm rear spacing

Green CK headset
    Matching green CK SS hubs
    Green Ti spokes
    Green Nips
    Stock rim
    Kenda Karma 2.0's
    Avid SD 7 brakes
    Avid SD 7 levers

It's Hot!!! And lightweight!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Good job! Sorry shizzle: No pics

Cant post any pics cause I dont have a digital camera.

A 2.4 WTB Raptor would be real tight. But might work.

I'm really pleased with the 2.0 Karma's. Their perfect for my local conditions.

Can I still be your personal hero!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Bahh... oh well. I'd be willing to run a 2.3 (maybe a Conti Explorer) in the rear, but I just love those fatty 2.4's.

Thanks anyway.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Matt L
    Cant post any pics cause I dont have a digital camera.

A 2.4 WTB Raptor would be real tight. But might work.

I'm really pleased with the 2.0 Karma's. Their perfect for my local conditions.

Can I still be your personal hero!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

argghh

I'm at the point with my 110 spaced Monocog that I'm in the market for new hubs. I've been considering some of the nicer BMX hubs, but it's been killing me that if I ever up grade to a 135mm SS I would have useless wheels.

Now there's a 135 option, so it probably makes more sense to upgrade frames (upgrade = 110 to 135). That also gets me easier disc compatibility without a big expense. What to do?

why? just add a 12.5mm spacer to each end of your 110mm hub. you don't need to change anything else.

Members who have read this thread: 0