Would you pick up this frame if you could?- Mtbr.com

Poll: What to do?

Its too warm here....

Would you pick up this frame if you could?

My buddy has a Haro Werks SS E.B.B. frame that I may be getting from him, but I don't really know anything about Haro or how well an E.B.B. functions. It is disc specific for what its worth, so that may be an issue for me budget-wise as I am trying to keep this project on the cheap.

Is the E.B.B. worth it to me financially as a jump up from a tensioner-less non-ss frame using v's? I think it will cost me an extra $100-150 in the long run to move up to this frame and discs. Of course it probably is well worth that extra amount, but I like other opinions rather than my illogical excitement about things.

Also, it is made from Tange Prestige Cro-Mo, use a Bushnell E.B.B. internally wedged.

Anyone ride a Haro? I know they made one with HDO's last year. You like 'em?

Thanks,

Pedro
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SenorPedro; 02-18-2004 at 11:26 AM.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick." T.R. Roosevelt

Bryn Mawr Borracho
    Jan 2004

wasn't this frame on Ebay last week?

I have the same frame, though I've yet to build it up. Haro had 50 of these that the builder put a der. tab on by mistake. The fact that it is steel leads me to believe that it will ride great. The top tube is long. What is your current setup? It will be my first experience with an e.b.b. so I don't have any feedback in that department. I'll post pics when I get mine built, but it will be a few weeks at the earliest.
    carsrcoffins.com

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorPedro
    My buddy has a Haro Werks SS E.B.B. frame that I may be getting from him, but I don't really know anything about Haro or how well an E.B.B. functions. It is disc specific for what its worth, so that may be an issue for me budget-wise as I am trying to keep this project on the cheap.

Is the E.B.B. worth it to me financially as a jump up from a tensioner-less non-ss frame using v's? I think it will cost me an extra $100-150 in the long run to move up to this frame and discs. Of course it probably is well worth that extra amount, but I like other opinions rather than my illogical excitement about things.

Also, it is made from Tange Prestige Cro-Mo, use a Bushnell E.B.B. internally wedged.

Anyone ride a Haro? I know they made one with HDO's last year. You like 'em?

Thanks,

Pedro
    It it fits you, grab it! EBBs are good. Discs are good. No need for a tensioner is good.

If the frame does not fit you it is not worth it, no matter what the price.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Its too warm here....
    Yeah, thats where I sniped the pic from, auction ended early. Thats not my buddy's frame, though he is a SoCal-er.

formerly Giantxc

Werks SSX

I have a 2000 Werks SSX. Its a different bike with horizantals and made of Easton AL, but I like it just fine. Its stable but still nimble although not as nimble as my geared Voodoo. Also it just lacks the steel feel of my Voodoo.

Anybody know how many they are making this year? I heard that in 2000 and 2001 they only made 50 Werks SSX's but one poster noted that this year they made 50 with hangers by mistake. So are they building 100? More? Also, besides from Ebay or a buddy how can you get one? I might be interested in a 17" or 17.5".

Mike

Its too warm here....

Hmm...

Well,

I know it is listed on Haro's website as a production frame, whereas in the past they were kind of hard to come by - sort of a cult thing. Probably talk to your local Haro dealer and see if they'll order one for you.

These with the hanger on them are a factory goof and are not supposed to be sold, they just kind of circulate through the bike industry community of SoCal. I think that is why the one on eBay ended early - the guy could get in trouble for selling it. Lets just say my college riding buddy works for a prominent suspension manufacturer and therefore knows people.

hispanic mechanic

i would pick it up, but i'm not that strong...

seriously? get it. it'll be worth it! i loved the way tange prestige rode, and as far as the bushnell e.b.b. goes, everyone from seven to on-one uses 'em.

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Fat Boy Deluxe
    I gotta say I really like the Haro bikes. I have only ridden the Al version, but the geometry just feels right on that thing. I think having a derailleur hanger on it might be a big plus for some people. Makes it a lot more versatile, not that that's what your going for when you make a singlespeed specific bike, ha.

DT

What the Crap?!

Pass on it! and..

hook me up! i was going to bid on the Ebay one but it disappeared on me. oh well guess i will keep looking.

get down!
    YES...yes, yes I would
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    For what it's worth, the normal retail will be $500. That bike in the bottom photo is the bike I rode at the 24hr Tucson race (since changed forks to Black Super Air 100 and wheels to Crossroc - the cassette on the Crossmax felt like the pawls were about to blow) http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=6150 Let me know if you have other questions.

Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I just got mine

I just got mine today from my buddy with so called "connections" Pretty sweet ride but a bit on the heavy side but the ride of steel can't be beat. Someone here said it was Tange Prestige tubing? I haven't heard that before and there are do decals indicating this. Comments?

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Asshauler
    I just got mine today from my buddy with so called "connections" Pretty sweet ride but a bit on the heavy side but the ride of steel can't be beat. Someone here said it was Tange Prestige tubing? I haven't heard that before and there are do decals indicating this. Comments?
    I don't know how the Tange Prestige thing got started. The tubes are a crmo double butted tubeset.
    c/s 24.0 x 0.9/0.6
    s/s 22.2 x 0.6/0.9/0.6
    d/t 34.9 x 0.9/0.6/0.9
    t/t 31.8 x 0.9/0.6/0.9
    s/t 31.8 x 0.7/1.0 with a sleeve brazed in for 27.2 seat post
    The bb shell is made by Bushnell to be a precision fit for the Bushnell eccentric. The s/t to t/t gusset is 25.4 x 0.9 (ads a bit of weight)

The medium size should weigh 5.3 lbs with the eccentric.

Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yup, mines a 17" and that's the approx. weight. It sure looks long but the same TT length as my 01 Werks Easton frame (w/gears). I'm glad I can set both these bikes up the same except B.B. height but that shouldn't be too far off. I'm amaking the assumption the angles are the same? Does Haro change these from model year to year?

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Asshauler
    I'm amaking the assumption the angles are the same? Does Haro change these from model year to year?

Angles are probably slightly different - but not anything that's too noticable because I find the ride of the XLS and S/S pretty close as far as my overall fit on the frames. The top tubes are fairly long. I'll make any changes as I see fit based on feedback from the previous year. The single speed frame we did in 98 reflected the times and was designed around a 63 to 80mm travel fork. The new frame is designed to work with an 80-100mm travel fork. The new s/s frames have longer top tubes, but that's about it.

Enjoy!

Let go lightly

Geometry question

SSMike - I'm considering a used frame with the derailleur tab that a local guy is selling. He says it's a medium with the dimensions below. My only concern is the TT length which is definitely too long for me - does it sound right to you?

Head Angle: 71
    Head Tube Length: 115.0 mm
    Seat Angle: 73
    Top Tube (Effective): 24.1 in / 613.5 mm
    Seat Tube (C-T): 19.5" / 495.3 mm
    Chainstay: 16.7" / 425 mm
    BB Height: 12.5" / 317.5 mm
    Wheel Base: 43" / 1092.7 mm

I haven't seen it yet - probably will this weekend - so I can measure it then, but thought I would see if you know.

Thanks,

Alex

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Where did you get that top picture? That is my picture taken in my front yard about 4 months ago when I was selling the frame on ebay. Haro flipped out on me, and I pulled the ad and sold the frame back to haro because another dealer complained and said they had a buyer who wanted it. It is just kinda funny to see my ebay picture show up in a thread here. For what it is worth that frame is good for the price, but is Very heavy (6 lbs for the large) and has sub-par welds. That is the exact reason why I was trying to sell mine.