which would you get?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. which would you get?

i work at a shop that unfortunately doesnt deal w/ any mountain bikes, therefore my options are a bit limited on a new ss. but i've got two choices. i would like to get something for next years racing season, and all around trail riding. my two complete bike options: 05/06 cannondale 1fg, or, on- one inbred. thats rite, one steel, one aluminum. unfortunately no quality account so surly isnt an option. what would you pick and why?
    thanx.
    Simple Living, High Thinking

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by J.N.
    i work at a shop that unfortunately doesnt deal w/ any mountain bikes, therefore my options are a bit limited on a new ss. but i've got two choices. i would like to get something for next years racing season, and all around trail riding. my two complete bike options: 05/06 cannondale 1fg, or, on- one inbred. thats rite, one steel, one aluminum. unfortunately no quality account so surly isnt an option. what would you pick and why?
    thanx.
    Inbred, it is steel, I have one, and I like it...

baker

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baker
    Inbred, it is steel, I have one, and I like it...

baker
    Same answer.

mtbr member

C dale

You're racing so the C dale is easier to make lighter. Clears 2.35 tires with plenty of room so you can soften the ride with tire volume. My 1fg was built with whatever cheap parts I had lying around including 2.35 tires, big tubes, performance topo wheelset with a Gusset SS conversion, avid mech disk brakes, OLD Sugino square taper impel cranks the headshock, Truvative post and a heavy old SDG Belair saddle and it's 22.4 lbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Agree with slowrider. My rigid 1FG is just under 19lbs and makes a good race bike. I had an Inbred a few years ago and although I liked it I think the 1FG is better for racing.

mtbr member
    If you don't have a QBP account call whatever frame maker you want and inquire about the coveted "industry discount". Some builders are open to this and some are not.
    Last edited by Johnny Chicken Bones; 09-29-2005 at 12:56 AM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

A bike shop?

thanx.
    that does not deal with any mountain bikes? That blows My mind! What state/country are You in? I have never seen a bike shop that only sells road bikes.(but if You want comfort,steel-if for racing only, cannondale.)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    thanx.
    I'm not familiar with inbred but I've had a few c-dales, only geared though. I prefer teh stiff ride of aluminum but I love my steel bikes too. my only ss is steel. I'd say let the decision between aluminum and steel be your guide if your limited to those 2 chjoices

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I would look more at the geometry then just materials. If you like a longer frame and shorter stem the on one is for you. If you want more traditional geo go with the cannondale. Also if you want to run discs the on-one wont take them (the 05 at least) dont know if that is a factor for you.

mtbr member

Exclusive rodies

Quote Originally Posted by gearless
    that does not deal with any mountain bikes? That blows My mind! What state/country are You in? I have never seen a bike shop that only sells road bikes.(but if You want comfort,steel-if for racing only, cannondale.)
    Blows my mind to but we have 2 local shops that are exclusively rode.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scubaklook
    I would look more at the geometry then just materials. If you like a longer frame and shorter stem the on one is for you. If you want more traditional geo go with the cannondale. Also if you want to run discs the on-one wont take them (the 05 at least) dont know if that is a factor for you.
    the new inbred will take discs, if it's not available already, it'll be very soon.
    the inbred would be my choice if it's not just strictly for racing... but it's geometry suits me better than 'traditional' geo.

mtbr member
    its more like a beach cruiser shop, thats trying to do the road bike thing. it's mostly just a summer gig for me, and i just help them build bikes. its a real beach town. i'm personally not so into road bikes, but its cash.
    i think i'm leaning more towards the c'dale because i think some sus. would be good. i also have a shorter upper body and the on-one might feel a bit stretched out.
    of course, i admit, its not quite as cool. unfortunately c'dale gets a lot of crap from people. they seem to be ok bikes to me. but i've never owned one
    Simple Living, High Thinking

try driving your car less
    its more like a beach cruiser shop, thats trying to do the road bike thing. it's mostly just a summer gig for me, and i just help them build bikes. its a real beach town. i'm personally not so into road bikes, but its cash.
    i think i'm leaning more towards the c'dale because i think some sus. would be good. i also have a shorter upper body and the on-one might feel a bit stretched out.
    of course, i admit, its not quite as cool. unfortunately c'dale gets a lot of crap from people. they seem to be ok bikes to me. but i've never owned one
    for racing, I would go with the Cannondale. It can be built lighter and the headshok tracks very very well. You get a bike that is nice from the start, and can be built very light with only a bit of effort. Check the discount on upgrading to the carbon lefty and you will have a serious cross country racer.

The on-one is great, too. But from a brief spin on both, the on-one was more for riding than racing. More comfy, but less zip.

And check the geometries, of course.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    can the Cdale be built witha Lefty? that'd be fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i would like to get something for next years racing season, and all around trail riding.
    I do not race at all, rather fall into the all around riding category. I have a Surly, and used to have a Klein that, other than the gears, was set up almost identically to the Surly. Geometry was almost the same too. I always preferred the ride of the Surly, and did indeed notice a difference in ride quality between the two. I attribute that to the steel frame, and therefore would vote for the on-one.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    Blows my mind to but we have 2 local shops that are exclusively rode.
    I thought people rode all kinds of bikes?!?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0