Would you buy a 26" today?- Mtbr.com
    MaxTheCyclist.com

Would you buy a 26" today?

Ok, long story short. I'm fully invested in 29", I have a great steel 29er and i'm 6' tall, so the wheel size suits me. No problems whatever with it. However, I'm considering a deal on a VERY nice handmade steel 26er in my size. Like, a boutique bike, SS only but ready to go.

If you were in my position... Would you?
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

MaxTheCyclist.com
    I'm having trouble editing on my phone, but i'm talking custom bike, Surly prices. I'll likely never see this again. But it's 26!

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Are you buying a collectors piece or a bike you are going to ride every week?

Because if it's going to be a bike you ride a lot, I would encourage you to seriously consider why you switched to 29ers to begin with. Saving a few dollars on a bike that isn't suited to your riding style isn't a good idea in the long run.

Also, parts for 26ers are getting harder to find.

It's ironic that when 29ers were new, 26" bikes were cheaper because they were the most common bikes around, but now 26" bikes are cheaper because they are on clearance or people can't get rid of them.

nope.

i'd never ride it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdilthey View Post
    Ok, long story short. I'm fully invested in 29", I have a great steel 29er and i'm 6' tall, so the wheel size suits me. No problems whatever with it. However, I'm considering a deal on a VERY nice handmade steel 26er in my size. Like, a boutique bike, SS only but ready to go.

Shit yeah! If it fits you and you like the bike, go for it. 26" parts are not hard to find. More people are still in 26" bikes. eBay is full of 26" parts.

mtbr member
    Why not love both, eh?

I prefer 29" wheels overall, but if I like a bike, I like the bike. Wheel size is only 1 part of the total package. Do you like the bike? Or would you rather hold off for other things you could do with that money (including just save it)?
    There is a season, turn, turn, turn
    And a time for every wheel to turn through it

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Shit yeah! If it fits you and you like the bike, go for it. 26" parts are not hard to find. More people are still in 26" bikes. eBay is full of 26" parts.
    I shouldn't have even brought the bit about parts up. It's a tertiary thing.

Buying something compromised because it's a bargain is generally a bad idea. You save money today then regret it a little bit every time you ride it. Find a bike you love then shop for price. Once you've spent it, the money is gone forever, but whatever bike you buy you get to enjoy or regret every time you go out and ride your bike. The worst thing is buying a bike then seeing it sit on the hook unused. Wasted money.

I'm not trying to talk trash on 26ers here, I've just been burned on buying a compromised bargain way too many times.

Downcountry AF
    in short, no i wouldn't buy it to ride it. collectors piece maybe?

is it a used bike and therefore fully depreciated? if you don't like it or end up not riding it can you re-sell it and break even?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My favorite ride at the moment is a long travel 26 SS hardtail (ns surge)---it can be made into 27.5 rig but why? Super fun, practice manuals, bunny hops, and cornering. Just a hoot to ride.

I also ride and occasionally race 29ers (both Fs and hardtail) The 26er provides some genuine fun and will definitely stay in my stable for a while......

Enthusiast
    I'm building a 26er frame this season. Bought it last year, and more or less had the parts laying around. That said, I don't know that I'd go out of my way to buy more 26ers at this point. The Dexter I'm building is probably my last hurrah in that wheel size.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm trying to get more into tuning with wider rims and the Plus tires that are coming out now.
    That bike wouldn't be part of that, so no.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by copylatte View Post
    Super fun, practice manuals, bunny hops, and cornering. Just a hoot to ride.

Well, ok, here's the TL;DR:

I'd be buying a frame, fork, crank, and wheels, a couple other components. Need brakes and a seat. It was ridden, but NOT abused, it's in perfect shape. It was hanging on the wall of one of my local shops for almost a decade and, since I'm friends with the owner, I'd get a better price by about 30%.

The frame is handmade steel, Sycip, obviously great shit. Eccentric BB, disc brake 26".

It looks fun for the reasons shown above. learning bike skills, shooting around, nothing serious (no bikepacking or endurance rides, racing, etc). I currently enjoy the occasional SS MTB commute, and I think this bike would be a lot of fun to rip up to campus. It is a museum piece/collector's item, but I am not buying it for that and I would ride it. I know how to take care of bikes, so it won't be locked overnight, left in the rain, scraped against concrete, etc. Used and cared for.

If I regretted it, I'm sure I could resell it and not take a loss. Money is not the issue.

I was not riding when 26" was a thing. I started on 29". I don't know how big the performance gap is. If the bike feels miserable on the trail, I shouldn't buy it, but somehow I doubt it'll be miserable.

I am finding the opinions here very valuable.

Keep on Rockin...
    Yes, for my 11 year old.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Well, ok, here's the TL;DR:

I'd be buying a frame, fork, crank, and wheels, a couple other components. Need brakes and a seat. It was ridden, but NOT abused, it's in perfect shape. It was hanging on the wall of one of my local shops for almost a decade and, since I'm friends with the owner, I'd get a better price by about 30%.

The frame is handmade steel, Sycip, obviously great shit. Eccentric BB, disc brake 26".

It looks fun for the reasons shown above. learning bike skills, shooting around, nothing serious (no bikepacking or endurance rides, racing, etc). I currently enjoy the occasional SS MTB commute, and I think this bike would be a lot of fun to rip up to campus. It is a museum piece/collector's item, but I am not buying it for that and I would ride it. I know how to take care of bikes, so it won't be locked overnight, left in the rain, scraped against concrete, etc. Used and cared for.

If I regretted it, I'm sure I could resell it and not take a loss. Money is not the issue.

I was not riding when 26" was a thing. I started on 29". I don't know how big the performance gap is. If the bike feels miserable on the trail, I shouldn't buy it, but somehow I doubt it'll be miserable.

I am finding the opinions here very valuable.
    Nothing wrong with 26. Did you check if you can fit 650B wheels in there? I have two 1x1 and one of them is 650B, great bike.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mongol777 View Post
    Nothing wrong with 26. Did you check if you can fit 650B wheels in there? I have two 1x1 and one of them is 650B, great bike.
    Yes, but it really limits tire width. I'd be running 2.1's at that point (would rather have 26" 2.5's)

mtbr member
    Yes, but it really limits tire width. I'd be running 2.1's at that point (would rather have 26" 2.5's)
    Oh yeah, put some wide rims on it!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sycip makes sweet frames, but there's no reason to build this one up - it won't do anything better than your current 29er except for the coolness factor of being a Sycip. If it had a matching Sycip fork, then I'd be tempted to build a slick tired messin' around town bike out of it. I actually prefer the little wheels for urban use since they spin up faster when you have to stop at lots of intersections and there are a lot of slick or low rolling resistance 26er tires that still aren't made in a 29er size (Maxxis Holy Roller or DTH, for instance). On-One has a fork that would look pretty good on it for cheap:
    On-One CroMo 26er MTB Fork Disc Only | On - One

EXORCIZE
    As a BMXish urban knock-around bike? Maybe. For trail duty? Nope.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm 6'4 and still rock a 26er. I get told I should get "big boy wheels." It's a 1x1 and I love it. I have a set of CK hubs with trials rims running Mountain King 2.4s. I think in the Surly forum there is a dude running trials rims with Dirt Wizards.

I also just bought a brand new 26" trials frame. So yeah. I'd buy another 26" if I needed another bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    Oh yeah, it's ****ing totally impossible to have any fun riding a 26" on the trail. ****, just think, fun on a mountain bike wasn't possible till larger wheels were invented. We all wasted our time back in the day riding our dinosaur 26ers.

mtbr member
    I love the way 26" wheels feel. I would buy and ride a 26" MTB today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    I love the way 26" wheels feel. I would buy and ride a 26" MTB today.
    That's because you're not a bike snob.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    mdilthey the Shop Owner you're buying it from, can I ask? Just saying since I know of a similar deal, a locally hanging Sycip over here in California. I'm surprised Jeremy hasn't given the Owner crap for not building it out and riding it.

As far as wheel size, it's a feel thing. I'm 5'8" so I could easily ride a 26, but never would ride a 29'r after doing it. Might eventually go 27.5, but only if I absolutely had to.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    That's because you're not a bike snob.
    This is like saying someone who prefers chocolate ice cream makes them a choclate snob.

I like what I like, that doesn't make me a "snob".

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Yes, for my 11 year old.
    Hopefully my kids will be smarter than that when they are 11.

EXORCIZE
    Oh yeah, it's ****ing totally impossible to have any fun riding a 26" on the trail. ****, just think, fun on a mountain bike wasn't possible till larger wheels were invented. We all wasted our time back in the day riding our dinosaur 26ers.
    I didn't say any of that. The OP asked what I would do if I were in his position. And I answered.

Lighten up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    This is like saying someone who prefers chocolate ice cream makes them a choclate snob.

I like what I like, that doesn't make me a "snob".
    I didn't say any of that. The OP asked what I would do if I were in his position. And I answered.

Lighten up.
    Apparently, someone got their camel toes all wedged up.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Apparently, someone got their camel toes all wedged up.
    Says the guy tossing around insults about wheel size choices.

It's a wheel size, not a lifestyle choice.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    I would love to build a 26'er around a Soma Analog frame or similar, most single speed 26 frames cater for rim brakes only and I'm too fond of disc brakes to go that route.

So yeah, I'd definitely build a 26'er even though I'm already very fond of my 29'er.

Downcountry AF
    lifestyle choice
    Name:  professions-lazy-laze-lazed_about-lives-lifestyle_choices-tton36_low.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  52.9 KB
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    i have a "Phil Wood" bike that i built from a Sycip frame i got used from someone on this board long ago. Still going strong, and ridden in many incarnations. Beautiful, comfortable, and fits like a glove.

just writing this makes me want to take it for a ride right now.

so i did what you're considering (classic, beautiful frame), but that was back when 26" wheels were the only choice.

mtbr member
    Says the guy tossing around insults about wheel size choices.

Bra, you're still all wedged up! I happen to like anything with wheels, regardless of the wheel size.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Don't really need this to devolve into a fight.

I appreciate the opinions of those telling me to stick with my 29er, as that might be right for me. I'm tall, my bike can take a derailleur for messing around with build ideas, and it fits me absolutely dead perfect. Maybe a second bike is superfluous.

I also appreciate the opinions of those lauding 26" bikes. I am sure they are a lot of fun. I guess I would like to hear from anyone over 6' that uses a 26" bike and a 29" bike that can comment on any potential "problems" with the smaller wheel size like twitchy handling or something... Not sure if any such problems even exist.

I also appreciate any comment that justifies another bike purchase. You all know how THAT goes.

mtbr member
    Don't really need this to devolve into a fight.

I appreciate the opinions of those telling me to stick with my 29er, as that might be right for me. I'm tall, my bike can take a derailleur for messing around with build ideas, and it fits me absolutely dead perfect. Maybe a second bike is superfluous.

I also appreciate the opinions of those lauding 26" bikes. I am sure they are a lot of fun. I guess I would like to hear from anyone over 6' that uses a 26" bike and a 29" bike that can comment on any potential "problems" with the smaller wheel size like twitchy handling or something... Not sure if any such problems even exist.

I also appreciate any comment that justifies another bike purchase. You all know how THAT goes.
    There will be no problems as long as the bike fits you. For decades people 6' and over have had loads of fun on bikes with 26" wheels, there's no reason why you can't do the same. In fact, riding a 26er and a 29er will give you experience that you can't get riding just one wheel size.

EXORCIZE
    I'm 6'2, ride gnarly Arizona trails, and would never chose to ride a 26" hardtail when I have the option to ride a 29er. I don't care if it's a handmade Sycip. I believe size/fit/geo are the most critical elements in riding a hardtail. I ride a Kona Unit but also have a handmade titanium Kona Raijin. I don't pretend the Raijin has magical riding properties.

Now, a custom-designed (for me) 26" hardtail, for cheap? Maybe...

But probably not.

Similarly, I don't want any hardtail that can't fit some serious rubber in the back, or 18" stays, a 72* HTA, fits poorly, etc. These are also deal breakers. For me, some things cannot be remedied by any means, and 26" wheels is one. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Having had both....I'd never get another 26" bike. Only reason I'd ever consider buying another is to get something for my kids to ride as they grow up and into a 29er.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't buy an old style bike. Has nothing to do with wheel size, I wouldn't want old geometry in any wheel size. For me, no second thought id pass. I only own and ride 26 bikes too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I am 6ft tall and have raced my 26" Bianchi WUSS SS bike twice this year, and as part of a 4 person 24 hour team about 3 years ago. I also have a Kona Kula 29 from 2008, currently set up 1x9, the Kona is a little lighter than the SS Wuss and faster but I've been racing the Wuss cause I'm a better racer on a SS and I've ridden quick handling 26" SS bike most of my life, and usually with a rigid fork. That said, I have a little maintenance and a new SS wheel set getting made soon for the Kona, and I can hardly wait to race the Kona as a SS. Last weeks race I think I was the only person in the expert cat 1 class on a 26" bike, weather SS or geared, in the open/SS/or Masters cat 1 categories. Todays race had wet horrible conditions and several climbs I had to run, had a good 1st lap of 3 then a little crash on wet ground, a little bit of bruised ribs, and even more time off the bike, finished lap 2 significantly slower and just decided to not finish, since I was already so far behind and felt I probably could have run the last almost 6 mile lap faster than I could ride it anyway. Once the Kona is set up SS I will most likely try to get at least something for the Wuss, or maybe part it out, it has a set of King hub wheels that I can get something for.
    If I didn't have as many bikes as I currently do and had a good offer to buy a nice 26" bike like you are talking about I might go for it. But in XC racing the smaller wheels are a big disadvantage, and you fatigue faster on a 26" bike sooner as well, if I had the Kona 29er set up SS for todays race, and it is setup rigid also, I would have been a bit faster and fresher later in the race, and probably would have decided to finish the last lap.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    SS-wise, I found it a lot easier to get my gearing right where I wanted it with 29er than with my old 26er. Maybe it's just my imagination but intuitively I think the big wheel out back helps.

Wouldn't hesitate to get a geared 26er, long as it had clearance for a reasonable amount of tire out back. I'd put a 650b up front for where I ride. Wouldn't hesitate to have a FS 26er if I rode more challenging stuff, fact if I still lived out west that might be my preferred platform.

Don't have much use for a 26er that won't take ~55mm out back, except as a road bike.

So, no, basically.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'5.5" and geometry-wise 29'ers (rigid/hardtail at least, don't have any serious experience with FS) work much better for me than 26'ers.

So no, I would never buy a 26'er again.
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    If the bike geo fits your body and you think it will make you smile when you ride it... buy it.

All the other stuff doesn't matter. A bike is more than a wheel size, spec list, or name of the framebuilder/company. If you will ride it with a smile and not care about whether you get passed or are passing then buy it. If it will hang on the wall like a museum piece, let somebody else have it.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

EXORCIZE
    The Sycip's has an EBB - that would be a deal breaker for many. I've had a couple and loved the way they worked and looked. But I don't like how adjusting the EBB affects the grips/pedals/saddle dimensions. I prefer a system that adjusts the rear hub horizontally.

If I had the Sycip, I can't imagine riding it rigid, so would need some suspension. Which means I'd have to shop for a non-tapered 26" fork with an uncut steerer tube (I'm tall). Another compromise/challenge. Plus, once a suspension fork goes on, the feel of good steel is mitigated, no?

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    I'm curious now. What are your other bikes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Buy it. Build it. Ride it. Forget about all the opinions. You'll like the bike if it fits you and feels comfy. Wheel size doesn't matter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    Buy it. Build it. Ride it. Forget about all the opinions. You'll like the bike if it fits you and feels comfy. Wheel size doesn't matter.
    ^This! News Flash: I rode my 26er today and had a blast! OMG, was I allowed to have a blast on a 26er?

Saving lives with knives.
    It really depends on where you live and how you ride. I think one of the few places where a 26" makes sense is in a single speed. I have a Castellano Fango 26" softail converted to ss that was my first foray into SS riding and even though I now ride a One 9 RDO which I absolutely adore, I feel like I can comfortably push a taller Gear/inch ratio on my Fango. I would have to guess that it has to do with effort of accelerating a larger wheel. Which is faster? I haven't had the occasion to try and find out.

What I can say is this: The 29er feels very serious, it corners and climbs really well, it's very forgiving regarding technique so its easy really push it hard. The 26er is mentally more work, but not necessarily in a bad way. It more of an "occasion" bike than it is a daily driver.

I suspect it would become just that for you: a classic car that stays in the garage with a sheet over it that you take out from time to time. If you have the money plus space for that, then by all means by the thing and then post lots of pics.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

MaxTheCyclist.com
    I'm curious now. What are your other bikes?
    I have a Soma Juice 29er, rigid, SS 32/18. Love it. Perfect for ripping around and a real challenge on a steep hill, which is also fun.

I also have a Surly Pugsley, set up 1x10 with a 28T N/W ring.

Last, I have a Soma Double Cross Disc, with big 40mm tires, a bar-end shifter for a 9-speed rear derailleur and a downtube shifter for the FD and a 46/34 crankset.

I love my bikes. All three have Avid BB7 disc brakes, and no suspension, and I do all my own maintenance and built all three. I like rigid bikes, I like steel, and I like simplicity.

Still thinking about this bike. When I ride my 29er to class, I love treating it like a big BMX bike. I feel like I'd have a lot of fun on this Sycip with some Maxxis Holy Rollers. If I'm still thinking about it in a couple of weeks, I'll probably buy it, but we'll see.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    I dig the idea of an urban assault bike. I used to have a RedLine Monocog set up with slicks and that thing was a blast. It was a 29er, but I really don't see that being an advantage at all for the stuff you are talking about.

mtbr member
    What about the aesthetics of it? I rode a 26er for years (as did most of us I guess) and would pour over the catalogues looking for my next ride. Did you ever notice that the bikes used in the pictures were the small or medium sized frames? That's where the proportion of the wheel to frame ratio worked. Go upto a 21" frame (1990s geometry) that I used to ride and that ratio changes. Still probably a cool bike but also still not how it looks in the adverts.

Along come 29ers and the ratio is returned for the larger riders.

Ignore the pro's and cons of 26 vs 29. It may effect the way it rides at all but if once it's built you don't love how it looks, you probably won't ride it. Check out some large frame 26er pics and see what I mean

All IMO of course.
    2018 commutes - 26 days, 542 miles

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by frank daleview View Post
    It really depends on where you live and how you ride. I think one of the few places where a 26" makes sense is in a single speed. I have a Castellano Fango 26" softail converted to ss that was my first foray into SS riding and even though I now ride a One 9 RDO which I absolutely adore, I feel like I can comfortably push a taller Gear/inch ratio on my Fango. I would have to guess that it has to do with effort of accelerating a larger wheel. Which is faster? I haven't had the occasion to try and find out.

What I can say is this: The 29er feels very serious, it corners and climbs really well, it's very forgiving regarding technique so its easy really push it hard. The 26er is mentally more work, but not necessarily in a bad way. It more of an "occasion" bike than it is a daily driver.

I suspect it would become just that for you: a classic car that stays in the garage with a sheet over it that you take out from time to time. If you have the money plus space for that, then by all means by the thing and then post lots of pics.
    The Fango is an awesome bike. Always wanted one of those. Thought it would be a killer 29er, too. I ride a steel singlespeed 29er, but also set up my old 26" softtail as ghetto SS with rear rim brake and front BB5. I'm a busy guy, and the downside of the 26er is the upside for me--I get a more involved ride in 1.5 hours from the 26 than I do the self-correcting 29er. If I travel to ride, it's the 29er, can't beat it for unfamiliar trails. But the 26er makes the well-worn path a little more exciting as well as providing a better workout. I thought it would be cool to build up a super light carbon 26er with a nice squish fork.
    Don't like the fat bike thing though.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post

Ignore the pro's and cons of 26 vs 29. It may effect the way it rides at all but if once it's built you don't love how it looks, you probably won't ride it. Check out some large frame 26er pics and see what I mean

All IMO of course.
    I know what you mean. I've seen a lot of 26ers I really didn't like. This one looked ok to me, the geometry looks like a mountain goat. I can dig it.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    And if you want to look like a boss you gotta go big right? -> https://dirtysixer.com

mtbr member
    only if it were a DH bike

Downcountry AF
    And if you want to look like a boss you gotta go big right? -> https://dirtysixer.com
    I am curious what it would be like, but at 6'3" i'm not sure i'm big enough.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Im 61ish, 250lbs or so, 59 years old, and ridden 29ers exclusively since 2011, other than my two fat bikes that is. I ride SoCal desert, sand, rocks, and normal desert obstacles. 29ers, no doubt, make you 'feel' like a hero in comparison to the 26ers. I noticed there were some OnOne Inbred SS 26 framesets for cheap advertised, and on a whim I ordered one and put a nice little SS together. I didnt have a real plan for it, just thought Id play with it some. So I started riding it mostly around the trails close to home in suburbia. I even went so far as to compare some of my Strava times on my local trails. All I can say is time wise virtually no difference overall. Some sections it is obviously slower, others quicker. Some sections are more fun, some suck in comparison. It is really noticeable, the acceleration of the 26 is much quicker. So Ill say this. Long, cross country type rides, with rocky terrain, I much prefer my Karate Monkey SS 29er. Tight playful type riding the 26ers is a hoot. So there you go, run what you brung and have fun

mtbr member
    I'd certainly buy a 26" wheel bike (or frame) - in fact, I recently considered getting a DMR Bolt frame and building a full suspension AM singlespeed.
    It probably makes a difference that I'm old (63), only 5'9" and a slightly overweight 146lbs. If I was taller then maybe I'd think differently - for the last six years I've almost exclusively ridden my Singular Hummingbird.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a 29er and 2 26ers. All rigid. Most of my riding was split between the 29 and the 26. Both were fun and out riding I didn't really care which one I was on. That said if I was buying new I would do 29 but if the deal was right I wouldn't turn down a 26.

mtbr member
    Ive got a Cannondale Scalpel that I have been riding for several years. had an issue with the frame so I dug out my old Hardrock. threw some new brakes on it, made it SS. Its 26er full rigid steel. I find it much more fun on some of the trails than I do on my 29er. and I have some good sources for 26er and old bike parts. I would do a 26er again if I bought a new bike. I have been wanting my cousins 01 Stumpjumper FSR. He wont give it up. And he wont ride it....

enjoys skidding
    Nothing wrong with 26. Resale might be a bit harder if you ever decide to get rid of it. It may not be the most optimal set up but I can't see how wheel size is going to affect how much fun you can have on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasevr4 View Post
    Nothing wrong with 26. Resale might be a bit harder if you ever decide to get rid of it. It may not be the most optimal set up but I can't see how wheel size is going to affect how much fun you can have on it.
    Apparently , big wheel fanboy snobs are unable to have fun on 26" wheels!

MaxTheCyclist.com
    If I have a 26" rigid singlespeed and a 29" rigid singlespeed, and my height (6'0") makes the 29 ride better in every way, I can kind of see why a 26" would be a bad choice.

But, from the comments here, I am pretty certain that the 26" will ride in a unique way with better acceleration and snappier handling, and will be fun in a different way from the 29er.

The only question mark I have now is affording the Sycip. If I can swing the financials, it's entering my stable.

Cheers to all who left feedback, positive or negative. All useful.

mtbr member
    If I have a 26" rigid singlespeed and a 29" rigid singlespeed, and my height (6'0") makes the 29 ride better in every way, I can kind of see why a 26" would be a bad choice.

But, from the comments here, I am pretty certain that the 26" will ride in a unique way with better acceleration and snappier handling, and will be fun in a different way from the 29er.

The only question mark I have now is affording the Sycip. If I can swing the financials, it's entering my stable.

Cheers to all who left feedback, positive or negative. All useful.
    Get it and ride the shit out of it!

No known cure
    If I were in your shoes, and it was a 29" frame, I'd walk.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    I would have no problems buying a 26" custom SS. As a matter of fact, I'm checking out an old Sycip SS as we speak (V-Brakes even)...

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm kind of a little guy and I probably SHOULD ride a 26". But alas, I'm riding a SS 29r...

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008

No, I would not...don't care what the bike is. I'm 6'2" love my 29ers.

EDIT: As somebody else said, I'd never ride it if I did have it.

No, but I just have a lot more fun on 29.
    Get off the couch and ride! :)