Is it worthwhile to sell items in classifieds on MTBR?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Is it worthwhile to sell items in classifieds on MTBR?

I don't want to spam the board with items I would like to sell to drum up $$ for a project I am doing but do SS'ers buy from the classifieds on MTBR? All items are specific to SS; some are brand new and some items have been used quite a bit, and I have every intention of providing full disclosure. I won't cheat anyone but I am a little leary of the whole process.

I guess I'd like to know if the experiences overall have been positive or negative.

In addition, if anyone has any tips for me I'm all ears.

Thanks!

King Pin

Good job! Yup.

Buy a classified and provide a link to such.

I personally am always perusing the classifieds for stuff!

Bring it on!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    Buy a classified and provide a link to such.

I personally am always perusing the classifieds for stuff!

Bring it on!!
    Cool! Thanks for the feedback- hey quick question, is it "appropriate" to put a link in the forum to alert SSer's of items for sale?

King Pin

... and if we just ...

As long as you spend your two bucks, it's MORE than appropriate to provide a link to your ad. Expected even...IMO!

Buy your ad, and post away. This is IMO, of course, but I believe it has been done countless times....so long as you spend your hard earned money.

Quote Originally Posted by Molasses
    Cool! Thanks for the feedback- hey quick question, is it "appropriate" to put a link in the forum to alert SSer's of items for sale?

Cracker-magnon
    If you have paid for the ad, then it is appropriate.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Thanks! I'll place my ads in the next day or two...

I just have to dig out the digital camera!

King Pin

Wink Hurry up!

Yur slower than molasses, and I'm currently in "buyin' mode" dang it!

C'mon now.

I just have to dig out the digital camera!

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    Yur slower than molasses, and I'm currently in "buyin' mode" dang it!
    C'mon now.
    Ok ok!!! I know you are a big boy who needs another training vehicle...
    please see MTBR ad# 78332
    Padre's Bike For Sale

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    i've moved quite a lot of uniglide cogs (which reminds me, find that money order I still have to mail back - dufus sent a "valid only in the US and its possessions" postal money order, to canada...and we ain't a US possession) for doing SS conversions, over the past few years with classifieds ads on here. Must have sold oh, fifty or so of them by now.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

bike geek

One tip

I am a little leary of the whole process.
    I personallly love the classifieds section. I'm checking "Latest Ads posted" several times a day usually. You never know what I might discover I "need"!! I have also had very good luck selling things there too.

My tip though, is that if your items are of the bigger ticket sort (priced above $100 let's say), I guarantee you will get several inquiries from scammers. At least 50% of the emails I receive when selling something are from scammers. These are usually obvious in that their English or grammar is not correct, they ask the condition of the item and your final price, and they will usually tell you that they want to pay by Cashier's check. So if you're a n00b at selling used stuff on MTBR, eBay, or your local craigslist, BEWARE!

mtbr member
    personally, i hate the classifieds section. the search function is horrible. i would much, much rather see a "For Sale" section of the forums (ala Ridemonkey and Mojo, who both use this software).

the whole "you're a bastard if you post spam without paying" is rather foolish, too, but that's just one man's opinion.

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by tamjam
    I personallly love the classifieds section. I'm checking "Latest Ads posted" several times a day usually. You never know what I might discover I "need"!! I have also had very good luck selling things there too.

My tip though, is that if your items are of the bigger ticket sort (priced above $100 let's say), I guarantee you will get several inquiries from scammers. At least 50% of the emails I receive when selling something are from scammers. These are usually obvious in that their English or grammar is not correct, they ask the condition of the item and your final price, and they will usually tell you that they want to pay by Cashier's check. So if you're a n00b at selling used stuff on MTBR, eBay, or your local craigslist, BEWARE!

tamjam- fyi, the link in your signature does not work.
    Only boring people get bored.

bike geek

Thanks for the heads-up

I forgot that was in there. Everything is sold but the frame, so I deleted the ad.

So JH, I remember seeing you post somewhere that you ride with Scott of Level? I've been riding one of his sweet hubs on my fixie for about a month now. Very nice, gets a lot of questions/comments.

mtbr member

The classifieds...

...work great...but the functionality is poor. If you have complete bikes or big ticket items I've found that you'll maximize your price on eBay. If you want to move something small, or just quickly - post it on MTBR with decent pics and a solid, but not top dollar, asking pricing.

It's rarely taken me more than 48 hrs to selling something. You'll get a lot of inquiries with someone trying to really cheese you on price but you can just delete those. Plenty of good honest buyers abound on MTBR and I've never had any issue as buyer or seller.

Sean
    Professional Amateur