Worth upgrading Redline Monocog?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Worth upgrading Redline Monocog?

First off, a warning, this may be long, and I appreciate any help anyone has to offer...ok, here goes......

I currently own a 2003 Redline Monocog. I just sold my hardtail on Ebay, and want to go to riding single speed exclusively. I got 800 from the sale of my hardtail. Here are the options I have thought of......

Using the money to upgrade the Monocog.....lighter wheels, better hubs, wider tires (although I understand I can only go up to 2.1's?) new cranks, new bb, possibly new freewheel.

Buy another single speed. I have considered the Kona Unit and Bianchi SASS, and possibly even the Cannondale 1FG without the Headshok. What are your opinions or experiences with the Cannondale 1FG's, even the Headshock model? I understand the Headshok needs rebuilt often, and the eccentric bb is a pain to work on.

Save my current Monocog for street riding and buy a Redlline Flight.

As far as buying the Kona or the Bianchi, the only reserve I have is this; both models are available from the same LBS, and quite frankly, I can't stand the owner. I like the Bianchi better, because it comes with Avid discs, but my biggest concern about this bike shop is that I have had problems with them working on my bikes in the past, namelly the fact that they can't adjust V brakes properly, let alone discs. There is no other Bianchi or Kona dealer around locally, although I see I could order the Kona online.

What do any of you think of upgrading my current Moncog? If any of you have one and have upgraded the bike, I would love to hear what you have done.

Thanks for all of your time!

mtbr member

Wink Tough call

Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedPA
    First off, a warning, this may be long, and I appreciate any help anyone has to offer...ok, here goes......

I currently own a 2003 Redline Monocog. I just sold my hardtail on Ebay, and want to go to riding single speed exclusively. I got 800 from the sale of my hardtail. Here are the options I have thought of......

Using the money to upgrade the Monocog.....lighter wheels, better hubs, wider tires (although I understand I can only go up to 2.1's?) new cranks, new bb, possibly new freewheel.

Buy another single speed. I have considered the Kona Unit and Bianchi SASS, and possibly even the Cannondale 1FG without the Headshok. What are your opinions or experiences with the Cannondale 1FG's, even the Headshock model? I understand the Headshok needs rebuilt often, and the eccentric bb is a pain to work on.

Save my current Monocog for street riding and buy a Redlline Flight.

As far as buying the Kona or the Bianchi, the only reserve I have is this; both models are available from the same LBS, and quite frankly, I can't stand the owner. I like the Bianchi better, because it comes with Avid discs, but my biggest concern about this bike shop is that I have had problems with them working on my bikes in the past, namelly the fact that they can't adjust V brakes properly, let alone discs. There is no other Bianchi or Kona dealer around locally, although I see I could order the Kona online.

What do any of you think of upgrading my current Moncog? If any of you have one and have upgraded the bike, I would love to hear what you have done.

Thanks for all of your time!
    I SS on an old converted (13 year old) Klein. I keep up with the Phil woods and Sycips.

Regarding a new bike, request another shop to get what you want. Hopefully there is one.
    That new LBS would love to have the biz.
    KHS has a SS. Tons of shops buy out of the catalogue that has KHS.
    Not sure if Salsa makes a SS, QBP owns Salsa. All shops have that "bible".

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    There is no reason you couldn't upgrade and be happy. There are only two limiting things to consider. The frame only has room for 2.0 or 2.1 in dry stuff. The rear hub spacing is not standard so it limits you on hub choices. If you can live with these things and like the frame then keep it and upgrade.

If you can't live with that then you have picked two great models in the unit and SASS. If the LBS is that bad don't spend your money there. Look at a shop in an area you visit offten. That way tune ups and such would be easy to do.

The man who fell to earth

Some options...

I wouldn't shy away from the new bikes you mentioned IF you are fairly knowledgeable about working on bikes and/or are willing to learn even more. For me personally I never use my dealer for servicing my bike. I almost always service my own bike and enjoy learning more by taking care of it myself (plus its cheaper and more convenient).

As far as the SASS is concerned, I think these bikes are a very good deal. There are some idiosyncrasies with the Bianchi's (I have a DISS which is the same thing except its Alum), but if you know about them ahead of time and correct them quickly at the time of purchase, than it's a great bike. They have had some frame cracking issues (for some people), but there's a 5 year warranty if that happens (just have a spare bike handy to cover you until the new one comes in). If you look on the reviews for the DISS and SISS you'll see what you need to do, but nothing is expensive to fix (tweaking/adjusting the rear hub, adjusting the chainline by moving the chainring etc). Plus the Avid brakes really are the best, and very easy to setup and adjust.

But if you want to upgrade the very best bang for your buck is to buy a good used bike. There are plenty of people out there that buy nice SS's and then decide it isn't for them (or just to need to sell for other reasons). You should be able to get a nice used bike for $800. A nearly new, or extremely good condition used SISS or DISS can be had for $500 (maybe less), so for $800 you could be living large. The only bummer with used bikes is that you could get stiffed on ebay and the frame warranty doesn't transfer

And the new Aluminum Redline looks really nice. But I was at my local LBS and he told me Redline has had "problems" with the first batch of frames, causing them to be returned...not sure what those problems are, but look out.

Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedPA
    I currently own a 2003 Redline Monocog. I just sold my hardtail on Ebay, and want to go to riding single speed exclusively. I got 800 from the sale of my hardtail. Buy another single speed. I have considered the Kona Unit and Bianchi SASS, and possibly even the Cannondale 1FG without the Headshok. Save my current Monocog for street riding and buy a Redlline Flight. What do any of you think of upgrading my current Moncog? If any of you have one and have upgraded the bike, I would love to hear what you have done. Thanks for all of your time!

blame me for missed rides
    sounds to me like:
    $800 = Unit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anybody will fix a bike.

I would get the Kona Unit from the shop you don't like and take it somewhere else it you have problems with it. Any bike shop can fix any bike. If you have a mech you like take it to them.

The beauty of a SS is that the maintenence is simple. V-Brakes are also very easy to adjust once you grasp the concept.

I've been told the the geometry of the REDLINE makes it difficult to climb.
    That's just a rumor though.

My Vote......Unit....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by llihpu
    I would get the Kona Unit from the shop you don't like and take it somewhere else it you have problems with it. Any bike shop can fix any bike. If you have a mech you like take it to them.

The beauty of a SS is that the maintenence is simple. V-Brakes are also very easy to adjust once you grasp the concept.

I've been told the the geometry of the REDLINE makes it difficult to climb.
    That's just a rumor though.

My Vote......Unit....
    For that matter, I can order the Unit directly from Kona online. I do have a mechanic that I trust at a local Giant shop.

mtbr member

New question here. 1fg

I currently have a C'dale 1FG with the head shock and love it. I have had no problems in a m winter worth of riding in redwood sludge. It is the best steering bike I have ever had.

On upgrading you redline. Watch out u can not find quality rear disc hubs fot it because of the spacing. It u do not want disc then there are a lot of choices for quality hubs.

Lazy People Suck
    " What are your opinions or experiences with the Cannondale 1FG's, even the Headshock model? I understand the Headshok needs rebuilt often, and the eccentric bb is a pain to work on. "

I have owned both a Redline Monocog and a Bianchi DISS and currently own a Merlin Extra Fat SS with a Fatty Ultra headshock. I have owned several headshocks and there is no truth to the statement that they need rebuilt more often. I think they are an awesome choice for a SS as there is no other lightweight fork that matchs its stiffness when you are jumping out of the saddle for a climb. As far as the eccentric, there is not a whole lot to work on. The only pain with the Cannondale is that the adjustment screws are on the drive side, where the chainring can create access problems, but unless you change gearing frequently, I don't think there is a need for frequent adjustments.

I really enjoyed my Redline, it is the bike that hooked me on single speeding. The geometry on it is pretty standard, so I am not sure where it is any more difficult climbing than any other bike as another poster had said. I think it is plenty worthy of upgrades IF you do not plan on running discs. I think if you want to run discs, I would get the Bianchi or Kona for the reasons listed previously as far as the hub width.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

mtbr member

I dunno

With the two limitations mentioned abovewith the limited tire width and rear hub spacing, I'm not sure upgrading would be worth it. With $800 soon to be in your pocket, peryhaps purchasing the Unit would be a good option and then keeping the Monocog as an urban/spare ss would far benefit you. Just my opinion though. Do what feels best in YOUR eyes.

James

BTW, where abouts in PA are you? I'm in the Poconos.
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

Steamroller

Kona, then what?

Like others have said the Redline is great if you don't need discs to be happy. Me, I'd take the $800 and buy the Kona Unit. Then I'd either sell the Redline to trick out the Unit a bit, or maybe keep it so you have a spare/loaner SS. It's always nice to have an extra bike and you may be able to hook a friend on SS.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    (although I understand I can only go up to 2.1's?)
    There are only two limiting things to consider. The frame only has room for 2.0 or 2.1 in dry stuff. The rear hub spacing is not standard so it limits you on hub
    With the two limitations mentioned abovewith the limited tire width and rear hub spacing, I'm not sure upgrading would be worth it.
    I have 2.4" motoraptors front & rear on my mono-cog.
    4mm of clearance on either side of the back tire, with the hub in the middle of the dropout,.. it hasn't clogged yet.
    There's room enough for a 3.0 up front.

Check out Phil Wood Flip-Flop Phlight BMX hubs for your back wheel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PROGRE-SS
    With the two limitations mentioned abovewith the limited tire width and rear hub spacing, I'm not sure upgrading would be worth it. With $800 soon to be in your pocket, peryhaps purchasing the Unit would be a good option and then keeping the Monocog as an urban/spare ss would far benefit you. Just my opinion though. Do what feels best in YOUR eyes.

James

BTW, where abouts in PA are you? I'm in the Poconos.
    I plan on keeping the Monocog for exactly what you described, thanks!

I live along the shores of Lake Erie. May be coming down to Jim Thorpe in June or July.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowMonkey
    I have 2.4" motoraptors front & rear on my mono-cog.
    4mm of clearance on either side of the back tire, with the hub in the middle of the dropout,.. it hasn't clogged yet.
    There's room enough for a 3.0 up front.

Check out Phil Wood Flip-Flop Phlight BMX hubs for your back wheel.
    Well I'm confused now; why does everyone say you can't go wider then a 2.1? I know WTB are often rumored to not be as wide as they claim, but still, if you can go that big, why does everyone else say you can't?

mtbr member

I have the 2004 Mono..

I have a 2004 Monocog and the only thing I upgraded right away were the brakes. I have Avid cable discs on my gearie hardtail and am pretty much dig the way they work-so they got installed on the SS. Since you have a 2003,no such luck

I do have a buddy that just bought a Bianchi SASS and he really likes it-it's his first SS as well as my first time riding a SS. He had a little more money to spend but, *if I woulda had the bucks* I woulda went with the Bianchi as well.

I put a 2.5 Panaracer Megablaster on the rigid front fork -at 25 pounds of air-it's my suspension for now.

As far as upgrading your 2003? Nah-If you have 800 bucks to spend-get the Bianchi, it's always better to have 2 bikes-that way you have a spare!

George

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by York_PA_Rider
    I have a 2004 Monocog and the only thing I upgraded right away were the brakes. I have Avid cable discs on my gearie hardtail and am pretty much dig the way they work-so they got installed on the SS. Since you have a 2003,no such luck

I do have a buddy that just bought a Bianchi SASS and he really likes it-it's his first SS as well as my first time riding a SS. He had a little more money to spend but, *if I woulda had the bucks* I woulda went with the Bianchi as well.

I put a 2.5 Panaracer Megablaster on the rigid front fork -at 25 pounds of air-it's my suspension for now.

As far as upgrading your 2003? Nah-If you have 800 bucks to spend-get the Bianchi, it's always better to have 2 bikes-that way you have a spare!

George
    Well, the money officially cleared in Paypal, and I'm ready to buy. I sure am going to keep the Redline, and use it for urban riding as someone else suggested.

Now, the choices.........

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I am just wondering, for those of you who recommended the Kona Unit, why? I can't stand the looks of the 2004, maybe the 2003, No big deal, but might as well have the perfect woman if you can, right?