Is it worth upgrading the chainring and wheel on an SE Stout?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Is it worth upgrading the chainring and wheel on an SE Stout?

Hi everyone,
    Given that Jenson USA was awesome about honoring their price guarantee, I now want to spend the additional 75 bucks I got back after buying my SE Stout 29er from them on making it better. So far I only upgraded the pedals, seat and grips. The chain tension is very uneven throughout the revolution and I learned (mainly from here - thanks guys) that the rings and wheels are usually not perfectly round, on the lower end models. Is it a good idea to buy a new chainring and freewheel? is that a worthy upgrade? How about a better chain? Or am I better off upgrading the seatpost and handlebar to shave some weight off?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

conjoinicorned
    upgrade something else, or better yet buy some tools / tubes etc... there are some great methods on the boards to making not-so-round chainrings work very well (use the search, i'm lazy)
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks. Yes, I've seen those posts, I just thought if I get better ones I don't have to go through the work Talk about lazy... But you have a point, I may be better off buying a good stand (all I have now is one of those shitty mini-stands, just a step to raise the rear wheel on)

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    ive heard some people say that the fork is rather heavy but personally i would keep it. its probably best that you do upgrade the chain ,chain ring and freewheel because they seem to be low quality. the wheels would be the next step in the upgrade process. I would get the WI freewheel if you've got the money.

btw, how tall are you? I really want to get this bike but they only have the 15 inch bike available
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hey nuck chorris,
    I'm 5'11", my inseam is about 33.5. I have the 17in and I think it fits great. If you're any shorter than me than the 15 would be a good fit, any taller you may find it cramped. Also, depends more on your inseam and top tube length needs. I think my legs are longer than usual for my height, so I feel I could use more height to the pedals, but that my arms are getting a bit stretched to the bar.
    And thanks for the advice on the upgrades.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by rocdoc
    Hey nuck chorris,
    I'm 5'11", my inseam is about 33.5. I have the 17in and I think it fits great. If you're any shorter than me than the 15 would be a good fit, any taller you may find it cramped. Also, depends more on your inseam and top tube length needs. I think my legs are longer than usual for my height, so I feel I could use more height to the pedals, but that my arms are getting a bit stretched to the bar.
    And thanks for the advice on the upgrades.
    thanks for the information, I am 5'9" and i have no idea what my inseam is(how do you measure that?). ill think about getting one since they are now down to $280, that's walmart price for a beginner bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    thanks for the information, I am 5'9" and i have no idea what my inseam is(how do you measure that?). ill think about getting one since they are now down to $280, that's walmart price for a beginner bike

Stand with your back to a wall or door frame. Slide a thin book up between your legs till it is "snug". Get a friend to mark the wall with a pencil along top of book. Measure inseam

here

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Disc brakes?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet: disc brakes?
    BB5's or 7's would certainly be the biggest bang for the buck.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by natzoo
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet: disc brakes?
    BB5's or 7's would certainly be the biggest bang for the buck.
    you really dont need disc brakes unless you ride in conditions that are extremely wet or muddy. his current brakes should do fine with some new pads maybe. besides hes asking if upgrading his chain ring would be worth it not his brake system. the headset and the bottom bracket might give you trouble along the way but replace stuff as it breaks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I actually spoke to the Jenson guys on the phone too - they called me in response to an email to give me some advice directly! These are guys are really great!
    I have not upgraded anything yet, instead put the money toward a simple workstand - the kind that grips the down tube and holds at the bottom bracket. It's a big improvement in what I can do for the bike myself. I will probably eventually upgrade the chain ring and wheel as planned, but for now I will just keep riding to get more fun out of it.
    I love how any decent length ride, as long as there are some hills, makes for a good work-out!

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by rocdoc
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I actually spoke to the Jenson guys on the phone too - they called me in response to an email to give me some advice directly! These are guys are really great!
    I have not upgraded anything yet, instead put the money toward a simple workstand - the kind that grips the down tube and holds at the bottom bracket. It's a big improvement in what I can do for the bike myself. I will probably eventually upgrade the chain ring and wheel as planned, but for now I will just keep riding to get more fun out of it.
    I love how any decent length ride, as long as there are some hills, makes for a good work-out!
    awesome, i still dont have a work stand and I wonder why works on bikes is so difficult at times.. just keep your eye on that freewheel and make sure it doesnt slip

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    those guys @ jenson actually gave you much better advice than anyone here did when they steered you to buying a work stand, it is invaluable when working on your own bike.

but...if i am understanding your description of what you bot, i can tell you from experience to try to cancel that order or else return it & put your money toward sumthing decent. i made the mistake of buying a stand that held a bike by the downtube & bb becuz it was cheap. that thing was useless, i ended up giving it to a bike charity. get your money back asap & put it towards a stand that clamps onto the seatpost, it is worth it.

enjoy that stout, look forward to hearing more about your experiences with it. mine arrived here yesterday but i put it off til this weekend to get to work.

Members who have read this thread: 0