worth to convert?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

worth to convert?

I have a old beater bike that i'm thinking of converting to SS. it's a raleigh inferno full rigid close to 10 years old. i paid 350 CAD for it back in the day. was wondering if the cost and or time would be worth it to convert? would i have to buy new parts for the bike? dont really want to pour too much money into a bike that old

mtbr member
    I am in the process of converting my old 99' FSR Enduro into a single speed and the estimated cost is roughly around $100 US dollars. The parts I picked for my build were the Gusset 1-ER single speed converson kit, Surly Singleator, Truvativ bash guard, and a 32 tooth non-ramped chain ring. I plan on using the stock chain and shortening it. If you liked you could use your derailer for chain tensioning and the only part you would have to buy would be a conversion kit like the Gusset for the rear hub which comes with 18 and 16 tooth cogs. But, sadly enough only works for 8/9 speed compatible rear hubs. Or, you could make a conversion yourself for the rear hub if the Gusset isn't applicable. Look in the Tooltime forum if you decide to make a conversion for the rear hub yourself, I am sure you will find what you need. Good Luck.

Mtn Biker Machinist

It can be done for almost free

Check out the FAQ for tips on converting on the cheap. You can use old cassette spacers for the hub, use the old ring and a cog from the cassette, the existing chain, your old deraileur, and probably do it for free.

Any bike is worth converting, cuz it's the easiest way to cross over to the dark side . Just convert the thing ans give it a try!

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiewable
    I have a old beater bike that i'm thinking of converting to SS. it's a raleigh inferno full rigid close to 10 years old. i paid 350 CAD for it back in the day. was wondering if the cost and or time would be worth it to convert? would i have to buy new parts for the bike? dont really want to pour too much money into a bike that old

I went to a place that had old recycled bike parts and picked up some plastic spacers and other small bits for a total cost of less than $6! So you can do it dirt cheap if ya want too.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Members who have read this thread: 0