World Cup?- Mtbr.com

Poll: Who are you rooting for?

Thread: World Cup?

Ovaries on the Outside

World Cup?

I hope I'm not the only one waking up early to get as much game time as possible. The WC will certainly help me train for mtbing, as I'll be on the trainer for most of the games. So when perfectly flat, smooth and straight singletrack rears its ugly head, I'll be sure to slay it.

mtbr member
    American but rooting for Oranje. Soccer may not be too strong in my blood, but supporting my fellow Dutchmen is

HTFU and Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    American but rooting for Oranje. Soccer may not be too strong in my blood, but supporting my fellow Dutchmen is
    same for me!
    Winter is coming.

aka baycat
    Pulling for USA but the tequila shots at 6 am at Farolito with all the Mexican fans was about as much fun as anyone could have. Free Whiskey Shots for every time the English get scored on tomorrow at the Irish bar.

mtbr member
    Soccer? I thought the UCI finally came to their senses about the joy's of SS. CRAP, now I have to wait longer. Is soccer a sport?
    Ride & Smile

Out spokin'
    My money's on Sergio Garcia.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Ovaries on the Outside
    My buddies are openly rooting for Clyde Drexler. They love quarterbacks.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    I despise soccer, mainly because when I played no one passed me the ball
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Apr 2007
    The Brits can piss ooff! Go US!!

I'm not a huge soccer fan, but I love watching the world cup. Also don't like watching track n field, but watch the olympics, hockey sucks until the Stanley Cup, etc.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Well, they opened with a win. Looked ok.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Matt
    Soccer? I thought the UCI finally came to their senses about the joy's of SS. CRAP, now I have to wait longer. Is soccer a sport?
    It would be barely recognisable as a sport to a American*. There's a shocking lack of steroid abuse.

*Not to mention a cyclist.

mtbr member
    Ronaaaaldo

Low Rep Count
    I am into soccer. Well mainly because I grew up playing and now one of my twin daughers plays on two different travel teams at the age of 11. None the less, of course I am cheering on the US but the reality is, WE aren't going to win! With that being said, I will go to my blood line and root for Italy when US actually loses. At the same time I am in a pool with my daughters soccer team. We had random pics at $5 a pop. None of my teams were that great but I am currently in the lead with 6 points because two of my teams won! Slovania and Korean Republic. My daughters picks were South Africa and New Zealand.

DAMNIT! Para. just scored on Italy. Gotta go!

mtbr member
    The WC has forced me to be a "morning person". I am always rooting for the US, but I think it will be Spain in the end. Although, after seeing Germany kick some @ss yesterday, I might have to change my tune.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    lol @ poll results

Low Rep Count
    Italy....hmmmm, not sure at this point. Man, I don't know who the hell go with at this point. But I know I will be sitting in my office at 7 tomorrow morning watching it on a 24" monitor in HD while, "working" on the other monitor! Love being a Government employee!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    At the same time I am in a pool with my daughters soccer team. We had random pics at $5 a pop. None of my teams were that great but I am currently in the lead with 6 points because two of my teams won! Slovania and Korean Republic. My daughters picks were South Africa and New Zealand.
    That's awesome that your teaching your daughters to gamble. I wish my dad taught me to gamble!
    Ride & Smile

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by vindiggitydog
    The WC has forced me to be a "morning person". I am always rooting for the US, but I think it will be Spain in the end. Although, after seeing Germany kick some @ss yesterday, I might have to change my tune.
    USA before all others, but I've lived in Germany, Greece and Italy and I like Fabregas a lot. So that makes life hard. I used to strongly dislike France, until I discovered that Florent Malouda looks a lot like of one of my girlfriends.... and of course, having an African team win in Africa... did I mention Netherlands play some fun ball? So I've been getting up at 4:15 way too much recently....

Bicycle Addict
    S. Africa should never host a World Cup ever again.
    1. Sh*t Ball
    2. Annoying Vuvuzelas
    3. Empty stadium seats

That being said I support U.S.A. and Mexico but believe Spain will take it all. And no you're not the only one waking up at the crack of dawn to catch the early games.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

Low Rep Count
    I could not agree more with SA hosting. The money that was dumped into building yet another stadium and then having empty seats is just rediculous. While the country may have a fairly larg population, more than 80 percent of them can't afford a frickn ticket to watch a match and the rest of us can't afford to fly over there.

Thank God for ESPN 3.com!

I think Spain has a great shot at it but I will reserve my opinion until I see Brazil later this afternoon.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB
    S. Africa should never host a World Cup ever again.
    1. Sh*t Ball
    2. Annoying Vuvuzelas
    3. Empty stadium seats

That being said I support U.S.A. and Mexico but believe Spain will take it all. And no you're not the only one waking up at the crack of dawn to catch the early games.
    My regret is that I didn't save up and take off for a month. I could have gone to any game I wanted. And I'd be in Africa?

Bicycle Addict
    1SPD: I have Brazil vs Spain in my bracket for the final, we're thinking along the same lines. In retrospect I guess the ball wasn't S. Africa's fault, that's all FIFA. Irregardless I'm tired of these balls sailing over the cross bar, keepers misjudging critical shots and forwards missing headers. I'm also not too pleased with the all the draws. Seems as though the teams are settling for 1 point. Where's the winning spirit?!?!
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Switzerland just beat Spain 1-0. That could change things.

Low Rep Count
    I was very surprised by this as well. Could make things interesting. Heck, the Brazil game was even a bit of a shock to me.

I would agree, the ball movement in the air is just rediculous. If you get a look at some of the slo-mo replays, you can see the ball moving all over the place when really hard shots are taken. To me that is showing that the ball is quite light thus allowing for it to float all over the place. I can see where this would make it difficult for the goalies at times not to mention the fellas trying to get a head on the ball.

Not pleased with all the ties either. It's like everyone is just settling instead of really going after it. So far the only team that seems to have gone after it is Germany and that is only based on the score (not who they played mind you)

Ovaries on the Outside
    Spain looked fairly good, even in the loss. They could have easily scored three or four goals today.

The vuvuzelas need to go with the ball. The fields haven't looked all that great either.

Low Rep Count
    Argentina is looking pretty good! Slight screw up a the end of the half for them but I think they will get another goal or two in the second. I guess that sort of makes up for the Korean scoring one for them.

Low Rep Count
    Ok, Argentina, is definitely looking good now! Gotta focus and get some work done real quick before the next game starts.

Bicycle Addict
    Too early to count out Spain? I think so. Hey UMARTH I agree with you. The pressure was on from the get go they just couldn't get one to go in. So many chances and I hate to keep blaming the ball but that Xabi Alonso shot would have gone in any other day. In fact most of Xabi's shots should have gone in, that dude is accurate as heck!
    +1 for the Vuvuzelas band. I want to hear some singing and chanting...even some drumming! Did you guys notice how they got pretty quiet after that Uruguay PK against S. Africa?
    1SPD: Now that the first group games are out of the way the 2nd round should show some more excitement. It's pretty much do or die now.
    Argentina DID look good. Even though Messi didn't score that guy created a lot of chances for everybody else, good stuff.
    Bearded Women Racing

Low Rep Count
    You know, I can say that alot of shots should have gone in and I will agree that the ball appears to have quite a bit to do with it in these matches. But I can also say the same about my daughters last tournament. I actually kept count during the second period of one of the games (it was a sand soccer tournament w/ 3-11 min periods-similar to hockey). She took 12 shots on goal, made 2 and hit the posts 8 times! For the third period I told her to aim for the posts! She actually got two more in and only took 4 shots on goal. Funny, she can't hit the post when that is what she is aiming for!!!

Now keep in mind, my daughter is by no means even close to going pro nor do I think she has the passion to do so. It was just for comparison purposes.

Now back to the game!

Low Rep Count
    Germany very well may make it. Unfortunately, that is the only frickn game that I have missed so far.

I agree they should mark him the way Ronaldo was marked. Take him out of the picture and you have a much better shot.

skillz to pay billz
    Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by bonbonan
    Argentina is good but not without Messi.Over depend on Messi.If i was the opponent team,will mark him for the match along.
    Germany will go to champion.
    Germany blew up in the group stages in 2006. I expect them to do well, and I'm wearing their 94 cup jersey for every game they play.

My favorite player on Argentina is Tevez. Messi had a few great moments, but I think I've liked Tevez more as far as production goes. My favorite thing about the Argentina game was the lack of "bzzzzzzz" in the background.

I'm stoked about Greece winning, although it was in fairly lame fashion.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    USA! Not much of a soccer fan though....baseball is where it's at.
    Get off the couch and ride!

Low Rep Count
    AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

NIH (where I work) has blocked all World Cup access! I have tried every frickn link I can get my hands on. Some of them let you to the site but when you click watch live, the system blocks it! WTF! I have nothing going on at work today but have to be here because two other people are off! I think I am going to Fn' Die! Why F%^&ing today! The damn US and Germany are both playing today!

Low Rep Count
    Channelsurfing.net I can see the game but there is no sound! But at least I can watch!

Low Rep Count
    Here we go BABY!!! GO USA!!!!!!

Low Rep Count
    Or maybe not! Wow, we look like we just flat out SUCK. At least I will get three points in my WC Pool if Slovenia wins.

Bicycle Addict
    What the EFFF?!?! Good result for Mexico yesterday but what the hell is happening to our boys today? 1SPD try http://futbol.univision.com/fifacopa...tidos-en-vivo/. It's in Spanish but it works really well.
    Bearded Women Racing

Low Rep Count
    Even univision is blocked. watching p2p4u in Italian now.

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    Even univision is blocked. watching p2p4u in Italian now.
    Holy cow! Where do you work, Fort Knox? Well that sucks. I don't mean to rub it in but where I work, Daimler, we have about 50, 52" LCD TV's scattered about the building all on ESPN I guess it doesn't hurt that the owners and executives are German and big fans of football.
    Bearded Women Racing

Low Rep Count
    For real! Actually I work for the National Institutes of Health (government). They are just rediculous. My old job had an open conference area right outside my office with a 60" LCD on the wall that I could see plain as day with just a turn of my head. I do however, have dual 24" monitors on my desk but they are useless if you can't catch the stream!

Looks like the US is pressing a little more at the moment. I can't believe their goalie actually frickn ducked!

mtbr member
    Great game, great comeback. You lot might even have nicked it at the death. I couldn't see why that goal was disallowed.

Low Rep Count
    I don't know what the deal was either. I saw the replays but could not pick anything out. I guess a little comentary would have helped as well since I don't speak Italian.

aka baycat
    That goal was not offsides. The Slovenian player was hugging Bradley.

Dear Ref,

**** you!

Love,
    USA

Low Rep Count
    Why the hell would you call a penalty when the team had posession and scored??? That is one of those calls that you hold off on and if the violating team gains posession or causes the offensive team to lose posession some how as a result, then you call it. WTH!

Bicycle Addict
    Oh man, I have no words for what just happened. That sucked. At least they walk away with 1 point. Although they shouldn't have allowed 2 goals in the first half. These are supposed to be the worlds best refs, carefully selected....bull! And what's up with Slovenia's celebration? That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Still, it could have been worse. Ask the Germans.

Low Rep Count
    Ya, das ist nixt ser gut.

I seriously thought GER was going to do much better. Better to have 1 point than 0 at this point. But it is still an upwards battle.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Coulibaly = Slovenia's MVP?
    Trailwrecker at large

aka baycat
    Official FIFA play by play says goal was disallowed for foul on Edu, not offside.

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    ARGENTINA!! Messi FTW!
    ~every end is a new beginning...

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Official FIFA play by play says goal was disallowed for foul on Edu, not offside.
    I call BULLShI7!!

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    I thought it was crap. Especially since the ref wouldn't tell any of the players who the foul was on. It was all fairly normal tussling you see on set plays. Slovenia got a couple weak yellows to boot.

I thought that the Germany v. Serbia was called terribly as well.

Low Rep Count
    Wow, ARG is pressuring ENG pretty well right now. "no rythm to the England game at all right now."

Bicycle Addict
    England is overrated.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB
    England is overrated.
    Only by those who haven't seen us play.

mtbr member
    Um, we've seen you play twice now. If the talent equaled the hype, you'd have 2 wins.

mtbr member
    Um, read it again and concentrate, concentrate...
    Ok got it? That's what's known as a self deprecating sense of humour. I was admitting that we were ****.

Any time you'd like me to try again, I'm more that happy to try to dumb it down a bit further.

mtbr member
    You're right, I did misread your statement.

But after reading your reply, I see you're incredibly smart and very sensitive. Just like my wife.

mtbr member
    Thanks. One tries.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by kcaz
    Um, we've seen you play twice now. If the talent equaled the hype, you'd have 2 wins.
    I think the talent equals the hype, but for whatever reason, their team plays horribly together. They aren't the only ones- the Dutch are very talented, but haven't any hardware, France was bounced by Senegal in 2002 and look to be headed that way again, and Spain failed expectations until Euro2008 and then were beaten by the US.

Anyway, I'll leave everyone with this: Slovenian defender Marko Suler was adamant the referee had made the correct decision to disallow Edu’s goal and accused the Americans of roughhouse tactics.

“They were pushing and holding all the time,” Suler said. “You could see it was a foul and it was the correct decision. They did not deserve to win the game. It would not have been the correct result. We were the better team.”

mtbr member
    If in doubt blow and award it to the defending team. It's what weak refs do.

See also: First one to hit the ground "wins" the foul.

Low Rep Count
    Too funny, just thought I would share!

http://www.clothes2order.com/stores/...shirt+(Printed)

Bicycle Addict
    This is when the games start to get interesting. Excited about the Mexico game, hope they win the group and avoid Argentina.
    1SPD: I like the no Vuvuzela shirt. My buddy is in Africa right now and I told him to bring me one of those, it's gonna be sweet!
    Bearded Women Racing

Low Rep Count
    I would love to have a vuvzela just because it was part of the tournament. I could use it to wake my daughters up in the morning!

I'm still cheering for Slovenia simply because of my bracket and I would love to see England get wooped up on! I guess that it s a little unfair of me to hold the team accountable but I am pretty tired of dealing with my daughters soccer team manager who just happens to be from England. You would think this guy was a Redskins (insert your local football team here) fan for the amount of SH17 he talks!

I am hoping that I can have both games playing at the same time on my dual monitors here at the office. Hopefully I can get this worked out and run both of them on one while I work on my budgets on the other. Go Mexico! Even wearing my limited edition WC Mexico Samba Nua II's today! (really it is because I wore a green shirt but I'll Cheer for Mex)

Low Rep Count
    Good games, lots of fouls, and even some blood!

Bicycle Addict
    DON'T TREAD ON ME! Lets do this U.S.A.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Usa!!! Usa!!! Usa!!!

You Can Do It!!!

Low Rep Count
    Would love to see them win but I will be keeping my eye on Slovenia simply because of my bracket. I will have both games up and running on my monitors as long as the streaming keeps coming through.

Low Rep Count
    OK, WTF? Is someone paying the US to not score? For crying out loud! This is rediculous!

aka baycat
    Glad it is to early to be drinking or there would be beer all over my desk after that goal.

Low Rep Count
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How awesome was that? So both US and ENG should be advancing at this point. I believe that would make US the winner and ENG the runner up right?

Apr 2007
    THAT WAS AMAZING! I almost shed a tear. Go US!

Bicycle Addict
    that would make US the winner and ENG the runner up right?
    Yup that's right. Chances are they get the Serbs in the round of 16 but we shall see.
    Bearded Women Racing

Low Rep Count
    Well, my bracket is shot and I am basically out of the running at this point. Stupid Slovenia! I thought for sure they would finish off ENG!

mtbr member
    Just seen the highlights of the US - Algeria match. Your boys don't mind a cliffhanger.
    Well done. Well deserved.

mtbr member
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'YYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!

Now I'm off to a party to watch the German's play.....I'm in Germany BTW and the BEERs are flowing....

Low Rep Count
    Strange, I am on p2p4u.com watching Ger and tried to open up the Aus game (all 4 or 5 links) and they all go to the GER game???? Tried to get the AUS game over on channelsurfing.net/com?? and get nothing for all their links. Sucks, I have no idea what is going on with the other game.

Ovaries on the Outside
    US is going to have a hard time in the next round if they keep having goals called back and if they continue to have huge defensive lapses. Still, today was faaaaaaantastic!

Go Germany!

Low Rep Count
    I don't think the US is going to make it past this next round.

So wha tis everyones picks for today? I am going to go with the following today:

Group E Denmark and Netherlands
    Group F Italy and Parauay

mtbr member
    Ancient Italian statues washed up in South Africa - World rejoices!

mtbr member
    ...errr...

mtbr member
    No, it's ok. They've gone.

Apr 2007
    I'm looking forward to the Brazil / Portugal match tomorrow. I hope Brazil just dominates.

(OT: First post on my iPhone 4)

Ovaries on the Outside
    Bummed about Italy. I lived there for a bit, so today was a little crushing.

Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    I'm looking forward to the Brazil / Portugal match tomorrow. I hope Brazil just dominates.

(OT: First post on my iPhone 4)
    Do you feel cheated for making it on the SS forum, but in a World Cup thread?

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth

Do you feel cheated for making it on the SS forum, but in a World Cup thread?
    Kind of. But then again, I usually feel that way on this forum.

...In the meantime.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuffink
    Ancient Italian statues washed up in South Africa - World rejoices!
    This and the following posts were actually some of the funniest I've read in a while...I'll be giggling for a couple of days over those...

mtbr member
    Merda*.

As they say in Portugal.

And Brazil.

*The BRA - POR match, EvilBkr. Not you.
    Last edited by nuffink; 06-25-2010 at 09:23 AM.

Low Rep Count
    How about that hand ball? Man, I remember being told by a coach a long time ago that it is better to take the penalty and give the goal a chance than to just lose the game. The down side here was the red card that was given as he is now out of the next game.

Now, how about the last penalty kick! How sweet was that? I mean, once you get the goalie diving, the goal is wide open. Well played but a big chance.

Low Rep Count
    Man, Germany is kicking butt! Only a couple of games left.

Low Rep Count
    Dang, I really thought Germany would be dominating Spain but that is not so at the moment.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I think there is a great chance the 3rd and 4th place game will be better than the WC Final.

Members who have read this thread: 0