Woohoo! Just ordered an '04 Unit frame!- Mtbr.com
    Pinball Wizard
    Jan 2004

Woohoo! Just ordered an '04 Unit frame!

Should be here the beginning of next week. Now comes the fun part of amassing the necessary components. Any suggestions as for an inexpensive/quality set of cranks? I've used the splined LXs in the past, but they developed one hell of a creek. Right now I'm leaning towards the FSA V-drives and a Platinum bb. Also, wondering if I might stick with the wider Mavic D521s I have now on the new wheelbuild or go with a lighter 24mm or so rim.

Guess there is no real purpose here, but now I have a Crosscheck and a Unit (on the way), but no money to finish them. And I'm excited.
    death is a star.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nothing wrong with LX cranks. For creaking I'd generally look towards installation problems - ensuring correct lubrication of all metal/metal contact and torque of all bolts/fasteners.

Sam

I'm your wicked Uncle Ernie, I'm glad you won't see or hear me as I................. :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

where did you order it from

Quote Originally Posted by futonrvltnst
    Should be here the beginning of next week. Now comes the fun part of amassing the necessary components. Any suggestions as for an inexpensive/quality set of cranks? I've used the splined LXs in the past, but they developed one hell of a creek. Right now I'm leaning towards the FSA V-drives and a Platinum bb. Also, wondering if I might stick with the wider Mavic D521s I have now on the new wheelbuild or go with a lighter 24mm or so rim.

Guess there is no real purpose here, but now I have a Crosscheck and a Unit (on the way), but no money to finish them. And I'm excited.
    What size and from where? I'm having a hell of a time finding an 18" unit. Thanks.

Pinball Wizard
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Eltbee
    What size and from where? I'm having a hell of a time finding an 18" unit. Thanks.
    Try www.bikeman.com. I know they had another on the way.
    death is a star.

mtbr member
    I think my LBS still has an 18. Call Corey (owner) at 909-624-9311.

http://www.coatescyclery.com

Pinball Wizard
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolo
    Nothing wrong with LX cranks. For creaking I'd generally look towards installation problems - ensuring correct lubrication of all metal/metal contact and torque of all bolts/fasteners.

Sam

I'm your wicked Uncle Ernie, I'm glad you won't see or hear me as I................. :-)
    Hah, I missed the reciprocating 'Tommy' reference at fist!

Fiddle a-bout. Fiddle a-bout.

Now, I don't have a torque wrench, but I did grease the crap out of the spindle and bolts. Oh well.

Right now I'm looking at the Novatec casesette disc hub in 36-hole. 36-hole because it's only $60. And either a Mavic 519 or 521. Not sure whether I should go with the extra girth and durability. Granted it is very rocky here....

How I wish I hadn't spent so much money on beer this past month so I'd have more to spend on bike parts.
    death is a star.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not necessarily just the spindle and bolts! Where creaks can often develop in removable spider cranks is at the interface of the spider and the crankarm. Whip that lock-ring off and get some grease on them there splines. It could also bethe chainring fixing bolts as well, or the interface between the chainring and the spider. There're really not so many moving parts in a crank, so if you're sure that's what's creaking - it shouldn't take too long to isolate the cause.

Sam

Down with the bedclothes, up with the nightshirt......

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by futonrvltnst
    Try www.bikeman.com. I know they had another on the way.
    My '04 18" is on the way. Had to get a complete bike though. Still seems like a pretty good deal - looking for some justification . Couldn't have done it w/o the tip though so I owe you a beer.

Pinball Wizard
    Jan 2004
    My '04 18" is on the way. Had to get a complete bike though. Still seems like a pretty good deal - looking for some justification . Couldn't have done it w/o the tip though so I owe you a beer.
    I'll have to take you up on that someday!
    death is a star.