mtbr member

Woo - freakin - hoo!

So I dabbled with SS, buying a Gary Fisher from Mattman, converting it, and getting my feet wet. A little heavy, wrong ratio for me, and I dislike rim brakes.

Matt and I talked a bit, and he recommended the IRO Mia, which he had just finished building. I ordered a 20" frame and fork in silver, and most of the other parts needed. Matt and I built it up (his garage and tools put mine to shame), and I took it for a shakedown ride today. Did a 13 mile loop on fireroads and streets with my wife and another couple. Impressions: I set it up with 36/16, and it seems a pretty perfect ratio for the kind of riding we did today. I can spin comfortably at 16-18 mph, and get out of the saddle to grind up most inclines. I put it together with budget parts (for the most part) and the geometry seems perfect for me. I really like the Mary bar. I was feeling fresh when we got back, and the saddle (supplied by Matt) is one of the best I've sat on. If you're a clyde, you might look at the WTB PureV.

Definitely need to get a chain tug. I had to stop three times to re-tension the chain after my mashing pulled the wheel forward in the dropouts.

Here's the build list, and some pics.

20" IRO MIA frame and fork
    on one mary bars
    serfas dual density grips
    ringle evolution stem
    avid levers
    shimano m475 calipers
    cane creek aheadset
    mavic 223 disc wheelset with deore hubs
    truvativ 5D cranks
    Salsa 36T ring
    gusset 16T cog
    spot spacers
    sram pc-58 chain
    crank bros candy
    maxxis hansventure 2.35
    tahoma post
    WTB purev saddle

Dig the greenish Ringle stem. A $5 closeout from JensonUSA.

Highly recommend the Mia as the basis for a kickass SS for not to much $$!

Jim

College
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamusCA
    So I dabbled with SS, buying a Gary Fisher from Mattman, converting it, and getting my feet wet. A little heavy, wrong ratio for me, and I dislike rim brakes.

Matt and I talked a bit, and he recommended the IRO Mia, which he had just finished building. I ordered a 20" frame and fork in silver, and most of the other parts needed. Matt and I built it up (his garage and tools put mine to shame), and I took it for a shakedown ride today. Did a 13 mile loop on fireroads and streets with my wife and another couple. Impressions: I set it up with 36/16, and it seems a pretty perfect ratio for the kind of riding we did today. I can spin comfortably at 16-18 mph, and get out of the saddle to grind up most inclines. I put it together with budget parts (for the most part) and the geometry seems perfect for me. I really like the Mary bar. I was feeling fresh when we got back, and the saddle (supplied by Matt) is one of the best I've sat on. If you're a clyde, you might look at the WTB PureV.

Definitely need to get a chain tug. I had to stop three times to re-tension the chain after my mashing pulled the wheel forward in the dropouts.

Here's the build list, and some pics.

20" IRO MIA frame and fork
    on one mary bars
    serfas dual density grips
    ringle evolution stem
    avid levers
    shimano m475 calipers
    cane creek aheadset
    mavic 223 disc wheelset with deore hubs
    truvativ 5D cranks
    Salsa 36T ring
    gusset 16T cog
    spot spacers
    sram pc-58 chain
    crank bros candy
    maxxis hansventure 2.35
    tahoma post
    WTB purev saddle

Dig the greenish Ringle stem. A $5 closeout from JensonUSA.

Highly recommend the Mia as the basis for a kickass SS for not to much $$!

Jim
    How are the disc brakes they came with ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b12yan88
    How are the disc brakes they came with ?
    They didn't come with the Mia. I picked them up on ebay. They work well, but not as on-off as hydraulics.I'm getting used to them.

Steamroller

Holy Mia with Marys......

That bike turned out real nice Jim, I'm glad you like the way it rides. You put together a nice build for what must have been a pretty reasonable price. I really like that stem it looks really strong and I like the color. I wish we'd put it on the gram scale, I'm curious if it's as heavy at it looks. I'm constantly surprised though at how deceiving looks can be, I've weighed heavy looking things that were light and vice versa.

Thats a pretty high gear you're running. I know it's what you wanted for the riding you had in mind but, it must have been a tough grind if those fire roads got steep.

I have not been out on my Mia since I put the Marys on it. I rode my geary about 16 miles today, it's easy and cush with all the suspension and gears, but I sure remembered why I prefer SS. I kept having to think about shifting at the right time, I didn't shift a couple times and got caught in the wrong gear. I also threw a chain. The only redeeming thing about the geary is I was able to granny up a couple hills that I rarely can make on the SS bikes.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

College
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamusCA
    They didn't come with the Mia. I picked them up on ebay. They work well, but not as on-off as hydraulics.I'm getting used to them.
    Those look like the same one they stock on their bike. It's looking great by the way, and probably a great price too. It sure looks like you made your money count. That gear is pretty high, if you ever get stuck on a hill that's too much, tr 18 in the back, that's what i use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    That bike turned out real nice Jim, I'm glad you like the way it rides. You put together a nice build for what must have been a pretty reasonable price. I really like that stem it looks really strong and I like the color. I wish we'd put it on the gram scale, I'm curious if it's as heavy at it looks. I'm constantly surprised though at how deceiving looks can be, I've weighed heavy looking things that were light and vice versa.
    From the Jenson website: Lightweight, stiff, and strong! Measured to incredibly strict tolerances by Sun Ringle. Features a slick Red Ringle logo and welded design. Two bolt steerer clamp (1 1/8") and bar clamp (25.4mm, MTB standard) keep everything stiff and secure.

7075-T6 aluminum construction keeps 'em light, at just 210 grams (110mm size).

The one I got is 120mm, so 215 grams? 220? Felt pretty light in hand.

Thanks again for all your help. I really couldn't be happier with the way it came out. I'm running 2.35 tires with 40lbs, so it's almost like having suspension.

Jim