Wondering if I can use some of my leftover ...- Mtbr.com
    Retired at 39

Wondering if I can use some of my leftover ...

(new) 9sp chains on my SS? This is my 1st SS, and wider chains certainly seem to be the way to go - but I have a couple of these laying around. Is it a possibility, or should I drop the idea? Thanx!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=siochain](new) 9sp chains on my SS? This is my 1st SS, and wider chains certainly seem to be the way to go - QUOTE]
    Its fine to use the 9sp chain. I can see no strength advantage by going with a wider one, unless you use a beefy BMX chain.
    "I've never been better .... nor cared less!"

Candlestick Maker

yes

Quote Originally Posted by siochain
    (new) 9sp chains on my SS? This is my 1st SS, and wider chains certainly seem to be the way to go - but I have a couple of these laying around. Is it a possibility, or should I drop the idea? Thanx!
    I've been riding both 8 and 9 spd chains and they have both held up fine. I seem to
    twist/destroy more chains when using gears...

baker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by siochain
    Should be fine.

Personally I don't use an 1/8" chain because it stronger (It really isn't) but because it's less expensive than a good shifty chain.

Badger has a new bicycle
    As long as your sprocket/freewheel and chainring are thin enough it will be fine. 9sp chains tending to be the showcase for chain manufacturers best technology and finishing.

However BMX sprockets and rings tend to be too wide and you will end up forcing the chain side plates apart.