Winter Shoe Covers- Mtbr.com
    Low Rep Count

Winter Shoe Covers

So, I have been out on the bike a little more lately and have been wearing my old Giordana shoe covers. But they are fairly thin and don't do too much for you. The combination of the shoe cover w/ some wool socks has been working down to about 32 though.

In any case, I started doing some searching and found the new Perl Izumi mtb shoe covers. i read some reviews and ordered a XL size to fit over my size 9 (43) shoe. They arrived today from Amazon. I like the way the velcro runs up the back and allows for easy access in and out of the cover. I can't say how well the velcro works however as I did not separate the two covers from their little tag. They were actually about 1/2" too long. But when I pull them all the way on I ended up with a bit of a fold in the fabric along the bottom edge thus allowing air to go right around the sole up up under the cover. Basically defeating the purpose of the cover.

I was not pleased at all with the somewhat thin nubuck or vinyl sole that they have. It stretches to get around the rear cleats on my sole and I am sure would soon begin to tear. I ran into a guy on the trails the other day and got on the subject of these at a turn around point and he said that a friend of his got them, took them to a shoe repair shop and had them sew on a strip of ballistic nylon across the middle section of the sole so they would not come apart. To me that is a lot to ask for something I just paid $50 for!

With all that said, I mailed them back to Amazon for a return. Not sure if anyone else is considering these but just thought I would throw it out there. I liked the material and the design for the entry but I really think Pearl could have used some better material for the sole area. Hope this helps anyone that might be in the market!

ride the moment
    After destroying a few pairs of booties, I finally bought a pair of winter shoes. I got the Shimano MW80's. They were more than I wanted to spend on shoes (my summer shoes are only $75 msrp) but they are warm, dry, and very comfortable. I've even been wearing them to work because they are super easy to get in and out of.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Today my commute was -12C/10F (-23C with windchill).

I use some snowboard socks, then put very thin plastic bags over my feet and used Diadora Chilli Extreme boots with SPDs.

My feet were toastie warm for the 35 minute commute.

When it gets really cold there's no substitute for a proper pair of winter riding boots.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Singlespeed winter riding boots?
    I
    Must
    Have
    Them.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

Out spokin'
    Are we talking about the singlespeed shoe covers or the ones for multi-speed bikes?

Just want to be sure before commenting. Thanks.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    The only bike to ride in the cold is a SS, so shoes must be SS specific !!

Man up
    Sep 2010
    I thought singlespeed was so hard that we are always standing and pedaling so our feet never need shoe covers?
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

Low Rep Count
    If you have been riding SS for a while, you have quads of steel and you can actually sit down and spin up 11% grade with no problems so even the avid SSer is prone to cold toes!

Seriously, I just dumped a bunch of my mod money (see all my stupid weight weenie posts about upgrading parts recently) on trying to get out of debt. Well, not that we are in debt really but I am in the process of remodeling a bathroom and had to buy a new tv (well didn't have to but the wife liked the 37" LCD) That being said, I no longer have $200 to dump into a pair of winter shoes.

I did however go down into my bike dresser and dug out 2 more pairs of shoe covers. I have a set of Perl's and some Euro brand that I have had for years down there. Both are fairly tight on my road shoes but I never really gave it a thought with my mtbs as they have larger soles if you will. In any case, I trimmed out the bottom of the Perls since they were fairly torn up anyway and they fit over my shoes pretty well now. I then put on my Giordona's over them and they slid on like butter. So I have some options now. The Perls are fairly think (semi neopreme if you will with a fleece backing) The Giordona's are more of a windbreaker material with a fleece liner (thus they slid right on). I think I would be fine with just the Perls and wool socks at this point but it is good to know that I have an option for windy/wet rides if you will. The Euro's were just to small period and will probably give them to my wife once we get her new shoes after Christmas and pick her up some wool socks.

I couldn't get out and ride today due to soccer practice and just a bunch of crap going on at the house so I couldn't try out my newly recycled roadie products. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow. It is supposed to only be 28 degrees before the wind chill so we will see. Pretty excited after hitting a low when I didn't like the new Perls that showed up today and got returned!

Rohloff
    I just bought these Gator All-Terrain SS Mountain Booties from Pricepoint. They seem relatively cheap, thick and sturdy. I like them.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/144...in-Booties.htm
    Last edited by bsdc; 12-13-2010 at 06:17 PM.

Low Rep Count
    I saw them a little earlier this evening when I was doing some google searching. Thought about them as an option but knowing I already had a few sets of booties in the basement I figured I would try to recycle them first. Worst case, is that I simply wait until after Christmas and try to buy a pair of shoes. I should be able to scrounge up some more $$ by then. Hopefully, I won't have to though and my new system will work out.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I tend to think the best option is not to be a ***** ***** and man up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I spend enough money on covers and thick socks already, and finally came to a conclusion that they just don't work like a dedicated pair of winter riding boots. I want to return all these things since I got Perl Izumi Barrier GTX. I can hike in a knee deep snow drift, get right back on the bike and my toes stay dry in damned cold wind.

I tried bags for a while but it traps the moisture then freezes in 10F windy ride. Bags are for garbages, not for your riding toes. Covers - I lose them all the time, and they won't do shiet when you have to hike in a snow drift. Unless you live in FL or SoCal, get a winter riding boots - it'll save you $ eventually, and spare you from all these hustle and non-sense try-and-errors.

Core body warms up quickly especially on ss, but body tips like fingers and toes don't - so these extra protection go a long way.

Umarth, you can fess up that you wear winter bubble wraps. It's ok, we know.

Low Rep Count
    If we get snow like we did last year, I won't be riding too much other than around my neighborhood. That was after I shoveled out the 4' drift in my driveway and the 5' at the end of the driveway from the plows. Basically there was just too much to even consider trying to make it down to the trails. If it is so deep that I have to hike then I probably won't be out riding, I will ride the spin bike in the basement instead.

But I hear you. Normally, I try to pick up my gear on the off season when you can find it for cheap. But this year, I was spending all my time getting my new bike together the way I wanted it (still working on that) and I missed my window.

As I stated though, I have a total of 3 different pairs of shoe covers from over the years so why not try to recycle some of them and see how it goes. If it buys me a little time until after the first of the year then I will be happy. I should have a little more money to go play with and see what I can find at that point. I know I won't be buying the Sidi's though as they don't fit me that well and I went through 2 different pair in less than a month a year or so ago because they just didn't fit right.

I like the look of the Perl's as well as the Lake ZX302's (they look like frickn boots!) Also like the NorthWaves as well. I've heard good things about the Shimano's and just saw the Diadora Chilli's last night while doing a quick search. Not sure what I will go with. May try to tuff it out for a little while and see if I can limp through this winter and then pick up a pair in the spring or something to have for next year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I tend to think the best option is not to be a ***** ***** and man up.
    pain is weakness leaving the body(or a cardiac event,etc etc)

PSYCHOLUST
    I hate cold feet, I love winter riding... Those covers with the cutout on the bottom were not horrible, but when packed with SNOW, they are a pain... I bought these Louis Garneau boots last year and they are GREAT.... I do put one of those chemical toee-warmers in when it's below zero

a bonus:... as they are waterproof, they can be worn in the RAIN in warmer weather as well

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Wool socks and duct tape over your regular shoes?

Cheers,
    P.T.
    Could it be that the mystery has been hanging out hiding in a whiskey shot?

Low Rep Count
    Well, I still have not got back outside to try out my newly recycled system. The wind was howling yesterday and I just didn't have time in my schedule to get out. I did ride my spin bike though!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Rubber overboots with a hole cut out for the cleat.

Low Rep Count
    Damnit, still haven't gotten out for a ride and now my throat is feeling a little sore! I am determined to go for a ride today even though it is supposed to start snowing this afternoon. Temps are supposed to be in the low 30's so I am good to go. Should be able to get out of work early today due to going to a luncheon w/ the contractors that work for me.

Members who have read this thread: 1