winter project- first ss...questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

winter project- first ss...questions

I currently own 1 bike, a Kona Jake, which I use to commute about 13mi r/t, about 3-5 days per week. I bought the bike in late June and have put about 900 miles on it, about 80% to and from work (would be higher but I was out of the country for 3 weeks, tying the knot.)

Now..I want another bike (don't we all?), and thought that the winter months might be a good time to start accumulating parts, and building one, to learn more about bike building/mechanics, etc. So I've decided to go single speed, but my dilemma is, what type?

I'd originally planned to take an old road bike and convert to ss, to leave at my folks place at the beach (where it's dead flat terrain) since I go there often in the summer. But lately I've been wondering if maybe it'd be more fun, and would I get more use out of something built along the lines of a Redline Monocog? (whatever my decision, I plan to buy a used bike off craiglist for the frame/fork/wheels, and convert from there)

I guess my main question is- those of you with second (and more) bikes, do you think if your main rig is a road/cx style, you'd prefer your second bike to be flat bar/mtn style? As a weekend/beater bike, is going away from the drops I ride on a daily basis a bad idea, or more a matter of choice? I'm leaning towards something MTB style, that can get me to the store when necessary but can also handle terrain that'd be out of bounds for my Kona...

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by knucklesandwich
    I currently own 1 bike, a Kona Jake, which I use to commute about 13mi r/t, about 3-5 days per week. I bought the bike in late June and have put about 900 miles on it, about 80% to and from work (would be higher but I was out of the country for 3 weeks, tying the knot.)

Now..I want another bike (don't we all?), and thought that the winter months might be a good time to start accumulating parts, and building one, to learn more about bike building/mechanics, etc. So I've decided to go single speed, but my dilemma is, what type?

I'm leaning towards something MTB style, that can get me to the store when necessary but can also handle terrain that'd be out of bounds for my Kona...
    I would ask if you where to buy a new geared bike, what would you want? You have a road bike, the Kona Jake; do you want another road bike or do you want a mountain bike? If you really don't want a mountain bike (it sounds like you don't) then I would invest in a SS cross bike. You get your single speed and you get a bike that "can also handle terrain that'd be out of bounds for my Kona".

1G1G, Brad

BTW, I have 6 bikes not counting two bikes for my wife, a tandum and the kids bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    I would ask if you where to buy a new geared bike, what would you want?
    This is what I'm trying to figure out. The genesis of my idea came from the fact that if I built an SS roadie to leave at my folks, I'd have a nice quick bike to ride on summer weekends up there, w/o the hassle of racking up my commuter every Friday night.

But now that fall's here, I'm realizing that as often as I'd ride the hypothetical SS roadie in NJ, once summer's over, I'd have 2 similar bikes here at home. A mtn bike opens new space for me to ride on weekends for the other 3 seasons of the year.

I guess I'll just keep collecting opinions and will make a decision once I've got some more input. Thanks.

Avid Indoorsman
    mountain biking in the fall is a blast. You could build a cheap rigid SS.

I have a jake, geared cannondale f series atb, and a fat chance ss atb. It's fun to switch back and fourth.

Been on the fat a lot lately.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    You can get the Monocog pretty cheap. It's a nice ride for the price.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Dammit, I've spent the last couple (slow) afternoons at work reading up on the Monocog, and have unintentionally gotten myself pretty amped up about it.

We were going to buy another car to go along with my old one, but have decided to upgrade the VW to something more reliable while I can still sell it for a decent price (every oil change seems to come back with a new estimate for recommended work...)

Leaving me to bike to work all winter. Gonna have to try and push the idea past the wife, who just does not understand these types of things. She'll take one look at the (brown) Monocog and say it's the same as my Kona Jake (also brown), shake her head and walk away...Fortunately my b-day is coming up, and the Redline is a little less than the jewelry she got for her recent cumpleanos.

Members who have read this thread: 0