Winter Jacket Recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Winter Jacket Recommendations

I know that the SS crowd is a hearty bunch! I am putting my MC geared rig back toegther as a rigid 1x9 winter bike. I am looking for opinions on a winter jacket for rides between 15 - 40 degrees. I typically layer myself about four or five deep, but find it tough to move. Been looking at the Assos Gator jacket, but at $300 its definately on the chi-chi end of the spectrum. Anyone had success with the Assos line or have any other suggestions? Thanx in advance!!

Bryn Mawr Borracho
    Jan 2004

Hypnotic Designs

While I haven't used the Assos stuff, I know they make great gear. What I have been using and been extremely pleased with is the Hypnotic Designs Haystack jacket. It's well made, stretchy, has a high collar to seal out the wind, long cuffs, and plenty of pockets. Check out their stuff at hypnoticdesigns.com. My other favorite winter riding jacket is an old Patagonia Velocity shell.
    carsrcoffins.com

Whatever! Just crash it!
    I've had the best luck in that range with layering a good wool jersey (I've got some old Swobo or Spot jerseys along with some ANCIENT ones from the 70s and 80s) with a light wind breaker. I also use a base layer to help with wicking. You can add a long sleeve lycra jersey in there too if you need a little more loft.

Wool is my fave for this stuff. The Assos is great, but I feel like I can do better for the money. I have a set of their roubaix bib knickers form a few years back. A friend gave them to me. They're actually too warm for me. I'd only wear them when the temps go down well below freezing.

Hope that helps a little.

Peter
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

Bike Wrench Blog ** Unfortunate Series of Events

brother on a mission
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBDad
    I know that the SS crowd is a hearty bunch! I am putting my MC geared rig back toegther as a rigid 1x9 winter bike. I am looking for opinions on a winter jacket for rides between 15 - 40 degrees. I typically layer myself about four or five deep, but find it tough to move. Been looking at the Assos Gator jacket, but at $300 its definately on the chi-chi end of the spectrum. Anyone had success with the Assos line or have any other suggestions? Thanx in advance!!
    Down to around 30 degrees I have been fine with a layer of polypro underwear, a long sleeve jersey, and a light windbreaker (mine is a lowe alpine). I have a pair of cross country gloves for my hands. I either wear those or some cheapo mechanix wear fast fit long finger gloves.

Below 30 I wear a layer of fleece and an old absorb-tex windbreaker (it is warmer than the lowe alpine jacket).

I can't really help you with brands, because I usually wear whatever is cheap (my lowe alpine jacket was $25). Don't stick to cycling specific clothing. You can find good deals on cross country ski and technical climbing gear sometimes, and I have found they work just as well for cycling.

mtbr member
    Check out this guy, it is mostly road stuff but the breezewall extreme is similar to the Asso at half the cost. You could get by with a baselayer and jersey with this jacket.

http://www.tscyclingusa.com/

mudnthebloodnthebeer

If I could only own one piece of active wear.....

......it would be a Marmot Dri-Clime windshirt. It's impervious to wind, warm, highly breathable, and reasonably water resistant. It won't keep rain out, but it does just fine in the misty, drizzly conditions here in the NW-if you're exerting yourself at all. moisture will definitely be moving away from, rather than toward your skin. I use mine for everything from ski touring to cycling to sitting around contemplating how just one pint of Jubel ale can get me so fuzzy so fast. It really shines on the bike in temperatures between 30 and 50 with just a silk-weight layer underneath. For long uphill slogs on skis, it's good down into the teens.

If riding in actual rain is unavoidable, I'd go with a laminate shell with pit-zips. Regardless of how breathable the manufacturer claims its fabric is you'll be grateful for the additional ventilation.

FWIW, I've owned two pairs of Assos shorts and had seams come apart on both. Fool me once........

mtbr member

My standby ...

has always been a MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) 3-layer goretex shell with big pit zips. They make a biking specific one with longer sleeves, thumb loops and big pit-to-back ventilation, plus it's covered in reflective strips. Last I looked, it was under $200 CDN, so like $150 US.

Under that, I usually go with a long sleeve jersey, and throw on a fleece or wool sweater when it gets cold.

MEC also sells pogies (those huge mitt things that stay on the handlebars), which are superb when it gets really cold.

I am the owl
    For a top layer, the Gill products work real nice. Wind/waterproof, well constructed, nice details.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSSasky
    has always been a MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) 3-layer goretex shell with big pit zips. They make a biking specific one with longer sleeves, thumb loops and big pit-to-back ventilation, plus it's covered in reflective strips. Last I looked, it was under $200 CDN, so like $150 US.

Under that, I usually go with a long sleeve jersey, and throw on a fleece or wool sweater when it gets cold.

MEC also sells pogies (those huge mitt things that stay on the handlebars), which are superb when it gets really cold.
    man, i love MEC. we need those in the States.

mtbr member

Rei

I'm a fan of the REI One jacket. I usually throw my Mtn Hardware Transition long sleeve underneath....and a DeFeet wicking short sleeve, and I'm good to go well below the temps you listed. It's great even when it starts to snow/rain.

I also picked up a REI Rock jacket this year, it's good but isn't as wind proof as the One. I commuted 20 miles this morning with the Rock, Transition, and DeFeet at about 20-25 deg F and was plenty warm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hypnotic or Patagonia

I just received my Hypnotic jacket and so far really like it. You don't look like a racer and can wear it all day, but still being cycling-specific. Really nice made. The last years I had good luck too with the softshell line of Patagonia. Especially their endurance line, like the Velocity shell or the windproof and athletic-cut fleeceline is really good for cycling. Good fit and comfortable. I use those between freezing temperatures and 10 degrees C/50 F. Seems like I agree totally with Hurl. This more outdoor-oriented clothing is more comfortable, looks better and imho works better.

banned
    I would recommend a Schoeller Tech or similar softshell pant. REI's Mistral softshell pant is on sale at REI-Outlet.com for $70 right now in the Khaki color, it's pretty similar.

I have some Lowe Alpine Schoeller softshell pants that I got last Spring on closeout, have worn them over lycra shorts (no thermal bottoms involved) for 4 MTB rides at 30-35 deg F so far this season, and have been very warm, in fact near to overheating until I opened the vents -- then it got comfy. I'm thinking of picking up a pair of the REI pants for back-up.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    man, i love MEC. we need those in the States.
    MEC offers membership to US residents. I have one. they also have a website, www.mec.ca

I second the Marmot Dri-Clime windshirt. It has a nice light nylon shell and a very light fleece lining. The version I use has a long tail, an elastic cord bottom hem, pit vents, and a zipped pocket across the back for tubes, etc. Very versatile piece.

The race, not the animal!

Pearl Izumi Barrier

I have the jacket and the vest. When the temp drops down into the 30's that is what I wear. I can get by with a light weight under (long sleeve) and the jacket. I wear that and a pair of Performance Polo Pro tights and I'm good to go. In Central California the temp never really drops below 32 so that gets me through most of the winter.

Happy Turkey Day.
    Do the one thing you think you cannot do. Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount a Single Speed!. This is your moment. Ride On !!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SSSasky

I use the MEC bike specific Goretex. The vent in the back is great. Open, it is protected from the rain and with the armpit vents open there is a flow of air over the body. Closed up it is bombproof. You can't wear a backback though if you want to use the back vent. It has an internal pocket that is perfect for the battery of my helmet light. Keeps the battery warm and the cord routes out through the armpit vent. I wear a medium weight polypro thermal undershirt, and if it is really cold a fleece vest. "Lobster" gloves from Pearl Izumi ( with two finger pockets, each for a pair of fingers) and a head band to cover my ears completes the picture.

mtbr member
    I have the Assos Air Block Jacket. I just went on a ride today in 33 degree weather (road ride). I wore a under armor base layer with it and I was comfortable. It is a bit pricey, but I rode for 3 hours without complaint.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Raceface Jackets

I wear the Raceface Aqua lite and Aqua Not jackets. The "Not" is much thicker than the Lite...but both are way too hot for hard riding. I can tolerate them for about 10 minutes on the way to the coffee shop, but after that, I have to unzip and let the air in. I guess all jackets are like that. So, I'm happy with the Raceface considering the old stock is usually available on closeout.

Ginz

Where's Toto?
    I live in Kansas and ride just about year round. I currently have two jackets - a 15 year old Descente and a Patagonia Velocity shell, that I use for riding. The Descente has a mess fabric lining and combined with appropriate layering is good for as cold as I'm going to ride. The Patagonia is a little lighter (no lining), and can also go pretty low with layers. The main thing is to have something that stops the wind combined with layers that insulate. I would also recommend the Pearl Izumi thermafleece windstopper tights - I don't use them until near freezing. They're thick and have a windstopper front - great stuff.