Winter gearing?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Winter gearing?

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010

Winter gearing?

Ok, so, I'll admit it, I hate to be " that guy" who asks about gear ratios. But, I've searched for my specific question and haven't found anything useful. After plenty of miles I'm pretty comfortable at 52 gear inches around here, but I have recently made a life altering decision and I need some help with my new addiction.

A little while ago, I ordered a Tomicog and converted my bike to a fixie. Oh. My. Goodness. That is some fun stuff. It makes the boring little ten mile loops around here a lot more entertaining. This will be my first winter on a singles speed / fixed gear and I'm wondering if any of you change gearing for the snow?

I'm guessing it's going to be harder to push through the snow. What about traction and spinning out on climbs? Do you change anything about your setup when the snow flies, or should I quit wondering and just go try it?

An obligatory pic of the Tomicog setup. I do have to say it was pretty awesome when the Tomicog was taped to cardboard from a Bells Two Hearted sixer. Tomi's got good taste in beer and he makes good stuff!
    Winter gearing?-imag0051.jpg
    Chainline looks prety darn good!
    Winter gearing?-imag0070.jpg
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Show the whole bike!

Cant answer your question because we dont get much snow here in Alabama. And the stuff we do get is cut with baby powder....
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Bro Mountainbiker
    I think we have almost the same set up. Hive cranks, absalon time pedals, hope pro IIs, stans rims.

I like your taste.

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    I think we have almost the same set up. Hive cranks, absalon time pedals, hope pro IIs, stans rims.
    Right you are! How has the color on your white pedals held up? I almost went that route when I had a different frame, but now that it's green I wish I had.

You'll have to wait on the whole bike though.....I'm swapping parts over to a new frame and it just doesn't look right at the moment. That green frame needs some white on it.
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeFarmer View Post
    Right you are! How has the color on your white pedals held up?
    Absolutely not. They wont clean up either. They are stuck at a dirty brown color.
    And since we got times, they are gonna be alive and breathing for about 10 more years. Was not a smart investment if you ask me

Stayin' Puft
    34x20 on 29er fixed in snow around here...

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonrat View Post
    34x20 on 29er fixed in snow around here...
    Sweet ride, how does that ratio compare to your summer set up?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Stayin' Puft
    I ride 32x20 or 32x19ish on the dry dirt, mostly the mountains of Colorado. So, a little taller on this setup because of the fixie but not much. Normally in snow I am riding rollers in the 'burbs for entertainment or in mixed winter conditions on real trails I ride a heavier-tired SS. Always meant to get a true fatbike but end up not...

local trails rider
    All snow is not created equal.

On a good day, the trails are well packed and smoother than in summer. So, a higher gearing would work well.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I normally run 32/20 and I think I might try 32/22 when the snow starts to fly. My bike is super heavy and I think 32/22 will at least get me out and pedaling.

AZ
    banned
    Usually run a 32/20, slushy snow is turning to ice, will probably run 32/22 just to slow down a bit.

Did I catch a niner+?
    On my MTB no I don't change gears, on my commuter I go to 36x20 but it's a tank and I carry stuff on it.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like I should probably just htfu and ride through the snow. My first investment will probably be a set of gaiters for when I have to push though....

I like the idea of an easier ratio on the fixed gear to slow things down a bit.