Winter Fitness- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Winter Fitness

  1. #1
    Am I getting too bulky?
    Reputation: Bikehigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    800

    Cool-blue Rhythm Winter Fitness

    OK, if I'm even going to think about taking part in the upcoming SSWC2005, and not embarass myself, I'm gonna need/want to come out of this winter without having put a bunch of weight back on, and some decent fitness to springboard into spring riding nice and strong. I've been batting around the idea of getting a trainer, and have settled on the Cycleops Fluid 2. The progressive resistance seems like just the ticket for training indoors with my fixed gear, since I won't have gears to change resistance. Only problem is that I'm reading conflicting reports about whether the leaking fluid problem has actually been solved or not.

    My other option is the Kurt Kinetic. I can get the 2003 closeout for not much more than the Cycleops. Anybody got the skinny on these trainers, or have any other recommendations that don't cost $400 and up? Is the heavier flywheel of the newer Kurt worth the extra $80 I'd have to spend? Any issues fitting a bike with threaded axles onto either of these trainers?

    Thanks for any advice.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,313

    Not sure on the trainers, but

    Quote Originally Posted by Bikehigh
    OK, if I'm even going to think about taking part in the upcoming SSWC2005, and not embarass myself, I'm gonna need/want to come out of this winter without having put a bunch of weight back on, and some decent fitness to springboard into spring riding nice and strong. I've been batting around the idea of getting a trainer, and have settled on the Cycleops Fluid 2. The progressive resistance seems like just the ticket for training indoors with my fixed gear, since I won't have gears to change resistance. Only problem is that I'm reading conflicting reports about whether the leaking fluid problem has actually been solved or not.

    My other option is the Kurt Kinetic. I can get the 2003 closeout for not much more than the Cycleops. Anybody got the skinny on these trainers, or have any other recommendations that don't cost $400 and up? Is the heavier flywheel of the newer Kurt worth the extra $80 I'd have to spend? Any issues fitting a bike with threaded axles onto either of these trainers?

    Thanks for any advice.
    but you can come on down and ride with us in DE this winter anytime you want. Some of the rides are civil and so are downright barf fests, but you are welcome anytime. Send me a PM with your email and I will try and keep you in the loop. We ride all year, from 30 degress to - 4 degrees, we are out there.

    P.S. - - We have nothing like those mountains in E Roman's backyard!!!!!!!!
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

  3. #3
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Reputation: Drevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,906
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikehigh
    Anybody got the skinny on these trainers, or have any other recommendations that don't cost $400 and up?
    If'n I have to use a trainer, I prefer rollers. You can't fall asleep on these like you can with the rear-mount trainers, and bunny hopping onto and off of them is always fun.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

  4. #4
    Am I getting too bulky?
    Reputation: Bikehigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    800

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    If'n I have to use a trainer, I prefer rollers. You can't fall asleep on these like you can with the rear-mount trainers, and bunny hopping onto and off of them is always fun.
    I used to have rollers back in the days I used to ride and race road. I never could really get the hang of them.

    ManicMTBR, I ride MTB year round ass well, and am also planning to get some studded tires so I can ride some of the MP trails around here without ending up on my ass when I hit black ice. There's a new MP trail openning up later this month about 50 yards from my back door. Still, the rides will be much less frequent, and of shorter duration. My rides in winter might be 2.5 hours at the longest, not the 5, 6, and 7 hour rides I like to do sometimes. Riding in winter isn't really about fitness either, it's about getting out there and riding. I want to be able to have alternatives and give my legs some real work. I've really enjoyed riding my Steamroller since I got it a few months ago, and find it's really benefitted my mountainbiking to put in 40 and 50 mile rides with continuous pedalling, and I don't want to give that up for winter. Even a couple hours on the trainer will help. Thanks for the invite! You can e-mail me at bikehigh at AOL dot com.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

  5. #5
    Let me ask my wife
    Reputation: HoSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    357
    My buddy has a 1 up trainer, magnetic, and loves it. He had a Cyclops before and said there was no comparison. Or, how about a spinning class? I decided to instruct this winter to stay in shape. Makes it a little harder to back out when HAVE to be there.
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.” John F. Kennedy

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    66
    Performance's trainer (magetic) works great and is waay less expensive... You do have to change gears for increased resistance. Doesn't bother me at all.

    Got an 8" B&W TV for 25cents at a yard sale on the bench and I just ride and glaze....

    1GB
    Porrick

  7. #7
    Where's Toto?
    Reputation: endure26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,188
    I use a Blackburn magnetic resistance trainer. I've had this one for about four years and have never had any complaints. I've used rollers and other trainers. Not sure if it makes a huge difference as sitting still and riding isn't much fun no matter how you slice it. My objective is to use the trainer during the week when I'm short on time or the weather is unbearable and to use the lights, the warm clothes and the weekends for actual riding. An MP3 or CD player also helps if I want to get the heart rate up and actually get a workout in. If I'm just spinning for base, the TV's ok. I find it also helps to start the session with a pre-conceived workout in mind -- some kind of goal - usually heartrate and/or time based broken up by sub-goals or something. Between the tunes and the heartrate monitor it kind of becomes a game.

  8. #8
    Dain Bramaged
    Reputation: Dijridoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    300

    Here's My Solution

    Dunno what I was smoking when I decided to do this, but after 19 years out of the pads I'm gonna be back in net all winter. At least once a week, hopefully twice. Yesterday was my first ice time and my back is KILLING me right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zotto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    45

    You might not be happy

    You might not be happy with the performance of the Cycleops Fluid 2 and your SS. I have one and 44x11 just gives me a good climbing workout. I am afraid 32x18 would leave you like a hamster in a wheel on the Cycleops. I never leave the big ring or go more than half way up the cassette (20t-24t?). You might want to look for one with a remote tension adjuster to help vary your workout. I have loved the Cycleops, I have been ready for riding as soon as the weather allows in the spring.

    I recently joined a gym and I do get a lot out of the spinning classes. I don't know if it's the people or what, but I put more into the spinning classes than I do in the basement on the trainer. But, the cost of the trainer will definitely be cheaper than a gym membership.

  10. #10
    blame me for missed rides
    Reputation: weather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    789
    got a PS or a PS2 lying around?

    http://www.gamebike.com/

    you'll be amazed how much a game pushes you riding that trainer.

  11. #11
    Dain Bramaged
    Reputation: Dijridoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    300

    Bike content (SS even!)

    OK, day two means all the lower body muscles I forgot I had are drawing straws to see which is more sore. However, I rode the Spot to work today and strangely enough, while riding, nothing hurt. That tells me that my major leg muscles (quads, butt, hams) are nice and strong from SSing. Whee!

    Now if the snow will just hold off another week or so I might be able to squeeze a decent ride in this weekend.

  12. #12
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,749

    Have you tried this?

    Quote Originally Posted by weather
    got a PS or a PS2 lying around?

    http://www.gamebike.com/

    you'll be amazed how much a game pushes you riding that trainer.
    Have you tried this? Does it work as advertised? How about with DH Domination?

    Ken

  13. #13
    blame me for missed rides
    Reputation: weather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Have you tried this? Does it work as advertised? How about with DH Domination?

    Ken
    i tried the real bike+trainer+PS version. worked really well i'd say. i wasn't even playing a real mtb game, just some random ATV racer. my legs began to sore after a few rounds (effect depends on how you set up the trainer, of course). i only realized how hard i was pushing after i turned off the PS and rode the trainer alone.

    no idea about the DH domination game, sorry.

    edit: works even better if you get multiple controls and have your riding buddies come over and race each other.

  14. #14
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,749

    So it works as advertised?

    Quote Originally Posted by weather
    i tried the real bike+trainer+PS version. worked really well i'd say. i wasn't even playing a real mtb game, just some random ATV racer. my legs began to sore after a few rounds (effect depends on how you set up the trainer, of course). i only realized how hard i was pushing after i turned off the PS and rode the trainer alone.

    no idea about the DH domination game, sorry.
    This seems like a pretty cool way to "train" if it works as advertised. In fact, my daughter may dig this too as a way to convince her Dad that PS2 is OK to play more often.

    Ken

Similar Threads

  1. Do you bike commute all winter long?
    By Shannon-UT in forum Women's Lounge
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-30-2011, 06:57 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-27-2004, 11:39 AM
  3. winter trails...
    By hardtailer in forum Oregon
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2004, 04:50 PM
  4. Winter Park Point-to-Point
    By Metolius in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-17-2004, 01:52 PM
  5. How much fitness loss in 6 weeks?
    By sperky in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 01:47 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.