will this work?- Mtbr.com

Thread: will this work?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

will this work?

im in the process of building my first ss. i am converting a 93 mtb which had a 6 speed rear cassette. i just ordered a ss kit and didnt notice the fine print which stated " for most 8/9 speed hubs" . thanks for any info.

Out spokin'

Uh...

...depends. Which "ss kit" is it? What's included in the kit?

If it has a bunch of loose spacers, you're probably okay. If it's the Gusset, you're probably SOL.

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by moneyb
    im in the process of building my first ss. i am converting a 93 mtb which had a 6 speed rear cassette. i just ordered a ss kit and didnt notice the fine print which stated " for most 8/9 speed hubs" . thanks for any info.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Boe
    http://boe.fixed.se
    Is your rear hub a conventional Freewheel-type hub (left in the pic) you'll need a BMX frewheel instead. Is it Cassette hub (right in the pic) the singlespeed kit will work.

mtbr member
    You'll also probably need to swap the spacer from the drive side of the (non-conventional I would have thought, these days) freewheel hub in the left of the picture, in order for the chainline to be workable.

Quick and easy way to tell whether a hub is freewheel or cassette for the uninitiated:

look at the right hand side of the hub. There should be a lockring, which is smaller than the smallest cog and may sit either to the right of it, or perhaps slightly hidden inside it in the case of a freewheel hub. It will probably have recesses into which a tool can slip and will encircle the axle. Turn the pedals backward while the rear wheel stays still - if the lockring turns with the cogs you have a cassette hub. If the lockring stays still then you have a freewheel (threaded) hub. Probably.

In this case, you're better off with the threaded hub IMHO - people dish out big kahunas for surly, DMR and woodman threaded hubs when they probably have one in their junk heap already (yes yes I know, dish etc)!

- Joel
    Cycling is Serious Business.

Members who have read this thread: 0