Will I like a SS mtb because I love my SS road bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Will I like a SS mtb because I love my SS road bike?

Is it fairly safe to assume that I would really enjoy a SS mtb because most of my road riding is on a SS Casseroll.I have a geared road bike which maybe gets 15-20% of the action. I am getting back into mtb because my 7 year old seems to enjoy it. The local trail are not very technical and the hills are not long or steep.
    I like the looks and the price of the Kona Unit and the Cannondale Trail 29 SS.
    Or is it like apples and oranges?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

rigid bruce
    Nov 2004
    >>Will I like a SS mtb because I love my SS road bike?<<

Yes.

openwound
    No, it's like apples to really great sex...

Off the back...
    I dunno, I went the other way, dirt --> road. Actually, it was commuter --> dirt --> road. My geared rode bike never made it off the trainer this year.

mtbr member
    Probably

Phatt Tire Luva'
    Does a Bear Shi-Zite in the Woods!!!
    Ciao,

-A-

“Beer, if drank in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health”

mtbr member
    The really cool thing about buying Rec stuff is if you don't like it you can sell it and buy something else you want. Go for it.
    Ride, Race or just polish it.... Do it till you smile!

mtbr member
    depends on you, but probably you'll like it more if you like physical challenges and being in more natural settings.

i SS on the road and like it. some would cal it boring, and i wouldn't disagree.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    As a 5000 + mile a year roadie, I bought a Jet 2 years ago in November as my first foray into MTB. When they recalled the Jet, Niner sold me a Sir frame real cheap to hold me over (one of many Niner frames I was offered cheap-but I bought the Sir thinking I could try SS and see what all the noise was about). Anyway, I built the Sir up geared and when the new Jet finally came in I tried SS on the Sir. I was Kinda like "this might work". Then I didn't like converting the Sir so I bought another Sir on Ebay cheap and built it as a pure SS full rigid. Now my Jet is for sale. I still ride road, but I like riding my full rigid SS Sir the best of all my 10 bikes (3 MTB and 7 road). I have even ridden it a little around town as a SS commuter bike.

If you don't love it, I will be surprised.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    You'll like it. I've recently gone from gears to SS, and really like it. I also use my mtb for a 20mile daily commute, with some killer hills, but I'm already faster than i was with gears, and feeling better for it!

mtbr member
    You'll love it.
    I do both, while I sometimes wish I had gears on my road bike, let's face it unless you've got a totally flat ride your gearing will be a compromise, mountain biking is just made for single speed. The gearing compromise thing just doesn't come into it, go low geared for climbing & technical stuff, and just let it coast downhill !

Dive Bomber
    I don't like road bike but I love road MTB, I am planning to build one and use a super slick tire for touring purpose.

Did I catch a niner+?
    I much prefer it in MTB vs on the road but only have the option of a SS road bike at this time. I can get going on the thing pretty good and don't spin out too much, it's a great way to build cadence.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

SSOD
    Try SSCX, best of both worlds. But I do love my ss mtb, nothing compares

Members who have read this thread: 0