Will an Eno Eccentric work like this?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Will an Eno Eccentric work like this?

I'd like to adjust my Eno Eccentric hub so the wheel isn't sitting at the top of the adjustment. Everything will work nicely, and will let me drop my half link, but a good portion of the end of the axle won't sit on the dropout. Will the Eno hold ok, or am I looking at problems?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Should be ok; the bolt and a normal axle only contact the DO about 70% of the way round anyway, and the Eno axle end should still contact the DO in all the normal places.

Why not run it pointing upwards?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Nation
    Should be ok; the bolt and a normal axle only contact the DO about 70% of the way round anyway, and the Eno axle end should still contact the DO in all the normal places.

Why not run it pointing upwards?
    Yes, but a normal axle doesn't need to resist the torque put on an Eno Ecc.

There are several reasons I'd prefer to run it like this.

nothing to see here
    I'd be slightly concerned that it would slip, given that sort of contact patch. The only way to find out is to ride it, but mark the visible sections of the end so that you can tell easily if it does move.

edit: Actually, it would probably be more likely to move as a result of downward pressure from bumps etc, rather than pedal torque, and if this is the case, the chain would tighten, and maybe the two forces ie. pedalling and bumps might cancel each other out to some extent. I dunno. Ride it. It shouldn't damage anything.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Rule of thumb - tighten the non-drive 1st, then the drive side. Pulling back on the non-drive will add tension to the ENO.

ENO eccentrics are all subject to that picture - there will always be an opening no matter what under the bolts. The bolt washers will grab the dropout - so rest assured, you'll be fine.

Members who have read this thread: 0