Will the airline confiscate a multi-tool?- Mtbr.com
    Recovering Weight Weenie

Will the airline confiscate a multi-tool?

The wife is heading up to Oregon for Shiggy's Cascade Cream Puff this wknd.
    She's trying to simplify the process by not checking any baggage.
    Alas, will her Topeak muli-tool be confiscated as weapon of war?

Anyone have any experience/insight on this?

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre

Definitely put that one in your bike box. I never had a problem with an HID light although they usually enjoyed inspecting it and the egg beater pedals have always raised a flag. i find if you take the stuff out that looks sketchy and put it in a separate bin from all your other stuff it's usually OK. I still wouldn't carry on a tool

giddy up!

I'm gonna say yes. I think that was one of the many things taken from me on the way to hawaii:-)!

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

paintbucket
    Absolutely. I just finished disemboweling an uppity hiker with mine, and I only used the 6mm hex and the chain breaker. Imagine what I could do with the torx doohickey.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!

Don't you read BIKE?

All else fails, ship it USPS priority mail for cheap.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    they took my 5mm shorty allen wrench from me at PDX, not even a multi-tool, just a lone allen wrench

mtbr member
    and they tried to take my titanium tire levers in vegas

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Absolutely. I just finished disemboweling an uppity hiker with mine, and I only used the 6mm hex and the chain breaker. Imagine what I could do with the torx doohickey.
    LOL

blame me for missed rides
    last time i had a cog in my pocket when i was in airport, and the security guard said it was too sharp--if you've seen a shimano dx cog, you know how "sharp" those things are, even on the tip. so they took it.

Shreddin the Cul de Sac
    Without question they will take it.
    Buy a cheap multi tool when you get there.
    keep moving

34N 118W

ummmmm, yyyyyyeaaah....

I had a security guy go through my toiletry bag, pull out my nail clippers then proceeded to *snap* off the little finger nail file thingy that swings out, then hand 'em back to me. For reals.

ABORT MISSION! REPEAT...ABORT!

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    I had a security guy go through my toiletry bag, pull out my nail clippers then proceeded to *snap* off the little finger nail file thingy that swings out, then hand 'em back to me. For reals.

ABORT MISSION! REPEAT...ABORT!

Yeah...but you could easily pass for a terrorist.... right??And I'm sure if that was your plan..you'd use a nail file....

funny side story...my dad retired as a Delta pilot recently....post 9.11....he would often have his FAA required tools (to operate certain things in the cockpit taken from him)....

mtbr member

damn terrorists....

they are taking away our rights to carry bike tools and parts when we travel!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I can loan her my Crank Bros Multi 17.

I might have a Topeak Alien around, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Almost certainly

There's a great story here about some poor guy whose Audi car key was confiscated. It cost him $300 to replace

blame me for missed rides
    pretty soon we'd have to have our teeth and nails pulled to get on a flight.

mtbr member
    Good luck 1x1 girl!!! Go out there and kick some Stella ARSE!!!!!!!!!!
    Go Girl!
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

cause it's fun
    Jan 2004

Yes

They took mine. I asked why, and he said that I could use it to take apart the plane...For real that was his answer.
    bus driver wanna be

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    On a recent flight home from Seattle on a mountaineering trip, I had a few pieces of gear that got mistakenly left in my carry-on. I was questioned about an MSR stove repair tool but was allowed to proceed on with it. Funny thing was my full 12 point crampons where in my carryon as well, freshly sharpened up from 4 days of ice. They never said a word about those 24 steel knives.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Umm, technically it's not the terrorists that are taking away our rights. And one could make the argurment that our rights are not being taken away, but rather that the majority is willingly giving up their (& thus our) rights. Or were you being sarcastic and I totally missed it?

The man who fell to earth
    A buddy of mine carries a leatherman on his belt all the time (leatherman have knives on them). He showed up at the airport forgetting he had it on him because he always wears it. After checking his bags, and going through a long security line, and cutting it fairly close to his flight's departure, they seized his leatherman at the security checkout. That cost him $50, he was pissed.

But you can't really blame security, most multi-tools I've seen have knives and/or other pointy/sharp implements that a "dedicated" fanatic could use to hurt or threaten someone. Although bike multitools usually are pretty benign looking to me, they aren't necessarily viewed that way by security. When in doubt, check it or ship it ahead.

Probably drunk right now

My stories...

The answer to your question is yes. I travel a lot. I travel with bike stuff a lot. I leave the multitool at home.

So here's a couple bike travel stories...

Story #1
    Heading up to Toronto and I'm hooking up with a couple of people to ride. I'm carrying my bike bag that contains my helmet, shoes, pedals, camelbak, etc. etc. etc.

It goes through security with me from KC to Detroit. On my return flight, I'm going through security and they grab the bag and start digging through it. I'm a little pissed off because I know for a *FACT* that there's nothing in there for them to get worried about.

I'm mortified when they pull out my camping knife. This this has two ultra sharp, 4-inch long folding blades. One serated, one normal. I'd been camping/riding the weekend before I left for Canada I left the knife in a side pocket of the bag.

So I wound up checking the bag and everything was fine. Except for the fact that the bag (and the knife) didn't get a second look when I went through security in KC.

Story #2
    I'm heading out to 24 HOP. Same bike bag with all the bad stuff (multitool, etc) packed with the bike. Security in KC starts going through the bag and pulls out a DX cog. The lady asks why I'm trying to carry on a throwing star. Her boss looks at the cog, looks at me, looks at my helmet, shoes, etc. and ask me, "You a bike rider?" I reply yes, he tells the lady that it's a bike cog and that it's OK.

Have fun. Ride a trail and drink a beer for me.

Ken

mtbr member
    That's pretty hilarious. I had an overzealous screener in Frankfurt confiscate my eyeglass repair kit because of the screwdriver it contained. I felt like saying next time I would bring a shrubbery, but I think that wouldn't have translated too well into German

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    ... The lady asks why I'm trying to carry on a throwing star...
    Ken
    I don't care what her boss said, you'd make for a dapper ninja in my book!

Fueled by Wahoo's

Biking Ninja?

Security in KC starts going through the bag and pulls out a DX cog. The lady asks why I'm trying to carry on a throwing star. Her boss looks at the cog, looks at me, looks at my helmet, shoes, etc. and ask me, "You a bike rider?" I reply yes, he tells the lady that it's a bike cog and that it's OK.
    I like that story!

I travel far too much and some of the stuff they confiscate is simply absurd. Come on, who is going to hijack a plane with the knife on a nail clipper? I could do more damage with the metal fork they give out for meals or even a sharp ink pen.

I recently was in Israel on a business trip...now they understand what security is about. The concept is quite the opposite from ours. They look for the person, while we look for the weapon. The interrogation that a blond, goofy-looking American like me gets is a bit frustrating at times, but at least I feel somewhat safer. And, when on the plane, they really protect the cockpit area....there are no restrooms right next to the cockpit door, etc.

Common sense, really.

Good luck Leslie!

D

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkSSter
    ...The concept is quite the opposite from ours. They look for the person, while we look for the weapon. ...

D
    A pointed object is a pointed object. However, what does a terrorist look like again?

mtbr member
    As I guess you have seen, the concensus is that yes, they will take away her Multitool. I'm not sure when the rule went into effect, but you are not allowed to take ANY tool on a plane anymore. The reason, as someone else said, is because you can take apart the plane. Apparantly, someone tried to get into a cockpit by taking apart the wall between bathroom and the cockpit! At least that is what a security officer told my freind as he took away a set of hex wrenches.

Mark

Probably drunk right now

The profile...

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    A pointed object is a pointed object. However, what does a terrorist look like again?
    They have dark hair, are dark complected, wear funny clothes and act in an erractic manner. Wait a minute...... I knew there was something not quite right about you!!! I've used my ninja powers to ferret you out!!!! I better get Tom Ridge's replacement on the line using the ninja bat line!

Ken

Fueled by Wahoo's
    A pointed object is a pointed object.
    I suppose by that logic we will have to start eating with our hands then?

However, what does a terrorist look like again?
    Good point, and deserves some clarification/expansion on the idea. While the Israelis do participate in racial profiling, they don't rely solely on looks. Their method relys on the interrogation aspect...to determine your potential for committing a terrorist act. Of course, someone like me gets to answer 10 times as many questions as the "locals". It's crazy, and you feel like the next question they are going to ask you is whether you brushed your teeth or not, and whether that toothpaste you used is really C-4.

I'm not saying I dig it, or that we could/should adopt the same methods....in fact, I think it would probably grind our air-travel system to a halt....but you have to admit that some of our procedures are comical at times.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    A pointed object in the hand of an 80 year old woman is not the same object as it is in the hands of a male, 35 years old, now is it?
    For some assistance...here are some examples of what "some" terrorists" look like.
    Hi, I'm A Terrorist
    I've attached another anomalous example of a terrorist, just to be fair.
    I hope this helps your quandry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(aka SS_MB-7)

Yep, when I went out West for TransRockies last summer, they took my multitool, stating that it could be used to build a bomb on a plane. But, I was able to get them to give me the tool without clearing security (I had to go back through later), but I had to take it to the lost and found and mail it to my home address...it was there when I got back. A bit of inconvenience, but I guess this is the World we now live in.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    A pointed object in the hand of an 80 year old woman is not the same object as it is in the hands of a male, 35 years old, now is it?
    You're right Padre. Thank Buddha no 35 year old male hasn't offered any 80 year old woman $100 to borrow her knitting needles while on the plane.

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    One time when the wife and I flew, they confiscated her finger nail clippers. Finger nail clippers without a file!
    Meanwhile I was able to carry on a pen and mechanical pencil.

I felt so much safer knowing that no one would be able to jab anyone with the dull handle of a 3/4" long finger nail clipper.

And I had the power to jam 3" of my sharply pointed mechanical pencil into someones throat.

try driving your car less

They took my Topeak Alien tool. It does have a little knife on it, so I was remiss in leaving it in the carry-on.
    I actually ran back to the counter and checked in a little bag with it.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member

I've done a bit of flying (business) lately...

I've found it more convenient to check a bag than to carry everything on. That way I don't have to carry all my stuff from concourse to concourse the laptop bag is more than enough. It only adds about 20 minutes to getting out of the airport at PDX to wait for the baggage to start coming out the chute. I do carry on my helmet since it's a fairly fragile item.

I don't put anything "tempting" in my checked baggage though, I had a NiMh battery stolen flying to Toronto a few months ago, United paid up but it took several weeks to get the check.

Quote Originally Posted by 1speed_Mike
    Yep, when I went out West for TransRockies last summer, they took my multitool, stating that it could be used to build a bomb on a plane. But, I was able to get them to give me the tool without clearing security (I had to go back through later), but I had to take it to the lost and found and mail it to my home address...it was there when I got back. A bit of inconvenience, but I guess this is the World we now live in.

Had the same thing happen to me at SLC, except w/ a snowboard tool. Problem was, it was sunday, so L&F was closed. I bought stamps out of a machine and winged it. A week later, an open package arrived, sans tool, with a postage due notice!

cause it's fun
    Jan 2004
    You're right Padre. Thank Buddha no 35 year old male hasn't offered any 80 year old woman $100 to borrow her knitting needles while on the plane.
    Uhh I've been tempted

So is it not cool to knit? Cause I thought knitting was like SS in the sewing industry...
    bus driver wanna be

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    In the immediate aftermath of 9/11 when things were changing on a nearly daily basis I happened to show up for work (I'm a pilot) on the day that they decided that Leathermans were verboten. The rationale offered by the moonlighting mall cop at the checkpoint was priceless-he had to take it away from me because I could "use it to gain control of the aircraft." That's even funnier in light of the fact that we have a "crash axe" in the cockpit that'll hack through aircraft aluminum with ease.

I was also recently treated to the spectacle of several screeners gathered around the Phil bottom bracket they had discovered in my luggage (I had taken it with me on a San Jose layover to get a bearing replaced) and discussing in hushed tones for what horrible purpose it might be intended. Don't ask me why the scene in 2001 with the simians gathered around the obelisk came to mind, but it did........

Frankly, I could give a rip if you bring a multi-tool on board my flight. I have no doubt whatsoever that anyone attempting to dismantle the cockpit door with their Alien will be quickly torn limb from limb by their fellow passengers.

The elaborate screening ritual is designed as much to create the illusion of security in the minds of the traveling public as it is any thing else. The only airline workers who are routinely screened are on-duty uniformed crewmembers. There's nothing to prevent the guy loading bags in the cargo hold from hiding an Alien in the cabin for a confederate to dismantle the cockpit door with. That's where you step in to save the day.........
    Last edited by quaffimodo; 06-24-2005 at 11:43 AM. Reason: dang I wish I could spel bettur......

Keepin' it real since '74
    They'll not only confiscate it, but they'll also sell it on ebay:

http://stores.ebay.com/Boulder-City-Internet-Sales
    "If God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat."

Probably drunk right now

We have a winner, folks...

Quote Originally Posted by quaffimodo
    The elaborate screening ritual is designed as much to create the illusion of security in the minds of the traveling public as it is any thing else.
    Yep. Without question. We're no more "safe" now than we were before 9/11.

Speaking of 9/11....

I flew in to LaGuardia on 9/18/01, the first day that NY airports opened back up. Our flight plan took us SE of Manhattan. Surreal to say the least, looking down on the burning wreckage.

When we landed, the airport was occupied mostly by people in uniforms and machine guns. Also surreal.

The entire city stank of burning metal.

Selfishly though, flying for the first few months after 9/11 was the easiest it's ever been. The only people flying were business people who flew on a regular basis, who knew the airport travel system traveling was easy. No having to wait for people who don't know how to negotiate airports, argue with airline employees about rules and regulations, etc.

Ahhhh... traveling in airports...... remind me some day to tell you kids about the time the airplane I was on caught on fire.....

Ken

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I just had one little question....it reminds me of this song...from a favorite easy listening hit from 1983....
    "All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi, and she wouldn't give it to me.
    Just a Pepsi."
    Attached Images Attached Images

mudnthebloodnthebeer

Yep. Without question. We're no more "safe" now than we were before 9/11.
    Actually, I think I disagree. With all that's been discussed in the media about 9/11 the one critical factor that's received scant if any attention is that prior to the attacks, airline pilots were trained to cooperate with hijackers. I suspect that there would be rioting in the streets if the training film we were all required to view as part of our annual recurrent training were to be aired on 60Minutes. In light of the fact that we can't even keep our most closely held nuclear secrets, how they thought they would be able to keep that little factoid under wraps is a mystery to me. That's been changed. We're not openin' that door for nuthin', and you're far safer as a result.

The screening process itself is incrementally more effective, but only because common-sense stuff like no longer allowing knives like this on board as long as the blade didn't exceed 4'' has finally been addressed. Unfortunately, because the baby has been thrown out with the bath I can no longer walk my bike out to the plane and take it along on trips. Looking out my hotel window in Burbank the other day all I could do was say......dang.....the bastids........(SS content)

Our entire world has changed because a small group of competent, committed individuals took what they were given by a government that had more than enough information at its disposal to withold the gift and fashioned a plan that, monstrous as it was, was elegant in its simplicity as well as brilliantly conceived and executed.

Sorry for the rant. Every time some a$$clown in a Dodge pickup with a Bush sticker tries to run me into a ditch I just feel an overwhelming need to vent.
    Last edited by quaffimodo; 06-24-2005 at 01:34 PM. Reason: edit, schmedit

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Our entire world has changed because a small group of competent, committed individuals took what they were given by a government that had more than enough information at its disposal to withold the gift and fashioned a plan that, monstrous as it was, was elegant in its simplicity as well as brilliantly conceived and executed.
    What the heck did you just say?Your gigantic, run-on sentence confuses much.

By the way....don't be angry at the guy in the dodge sporting the bush sticker who tried to run you off the road...it's not HIS fault...he's just a victim. You should be waaaay more tolerant of guys driving dodges who try to shove you into a ditch....after all...you are probably responsible for their erratic driving somehow....right? ehr, uhm....

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    What the heck did you just say?Your gigantic, run-on sentence confuses much.
    My cats can't figure how to get the birds out of the TV either..........

minister of chaos
    Quote Originally Posted by weather
    pretty soon we'd have to have our teeth and nails pulled to get on a flight.
    Yet you are allowed to have and even provided with writing utensils. Just imagine that amount of descruction you could inflict with a couple of bic pens.

You could: take an eye out, stab someone in the neck, get some non vital organs just below the ribcage, hit the brain just below the base of the skull, and if you got a six pack, you wouldn't even have to reuse any of the pens and still be able to write a letter.
    Frank Tuesday
    minister of chaos
    franktuesday.blogspot.com

Fueled by Wahoo's

Quit 'yer whining!

I just had one little question....it reminds me of this song...from a favorite easy listening hit from 1983....
    Just a Pepsi."
    You got the answer to your question, didn't you?

We just thought that since it's a Friday we could hijack your thread as well!

D

the cool nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Tuesday
    Yet you are allowed to have and even provided with writing utensils. Just imagine that amount of descruction you could inflict with a couple of bic pens.

You could: take an eye out, stab someone in the neck, get some non vital organs just below the ribcage, hit the brain just below the base of the skull, and if you got a six pack, you wouldn't even have to reuse any of the pens and still be able to write a letter.
    or even worse, you could open kryptonite locks ....

Des(s)ert Rat
    Yep. We had someone show up to Ride the Rockies looking for tools to borrow since the airline took his.

The man who fell to earth
    Dude, you've opened up a whole can of worms with this post.

Just a Pepsi."

passenger/engine

They're probably just watching too much

My cats can't figure how to get the birds out of the TV either..........
    PBS
    "Look for your breath; it's always there... Make friends with your breath." Thannisaro Bhikku