Powered by ice cream.

Wierd Freewheel removal

I recently purchased an On-one Inbred 29er. I need a lower ratio gear and have a 20t freewheel to replace the current 18t that came with the bike.

The problem is removing the 18t. It does not have the standard 4 notches to fit the standard freewheel tool. Instead, it has two circles spaced 180 degrees apart on the lateral face of the freewheel. These circles look like they might be for a pin wrench of some kind, and are quite shallow.

Any ideas on what is needed to get this off?
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    I recently purchased an On-one Inbred 29er. I need a lower ratio gear and have a 20t freewheel to replace the current 18t that came with the bike.

The problem is removing the 18t. It does not have the standard 4 notches to fit the standard freewheel tool. Instead, it has two circles spaced 180 degrees apart on the lateral face of the freewheel. These circles look like they might be for a pin wrench of some kind, and are quite shallow.

Any ideas on what is needed to get this off?
    Those holes are for disassembling the FW, not removing it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

All 26.5" all the time!
    Either the 18t freewheel has been installed backwards, maybe for a chainline adjustment, or it's one of the budget BMX freewheels that were never intended to be removed in serviceable condition.

You'll need to disassemble the freewheel with a pin spanner, remove the outer toothed section and bearings/pawls, then clamp the newly exposed remains of the freewheel in a vice and remove it from the hub.

Professional lurker
    Are there 2 small notches on the innermost part of the freewheel body? If there are, the removal tool will actually fit inside the body of the freewheel with the 2 splines of the tool in the notches of the freewheel.

It will appear that there is no way the tool will hold onto the freewheel and allow you to remove it, but if you install a tracknut on the axle just tight enough to hold the tool in place, you'll be able to put the wheel in a vice and spin it a bit to break the freewheel free.

Then back the tracknut off the axle and spin the freewheel off.

Some Shimano freewheels use this wierd little notch design.