wide tires/narrow rims- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

New question here. wide tires/narrow rims

Hey all, I know this belong in the wheels/tires forum but it relates to singlespeeds. I am currently running a 2.3 conti vertical pro on the front of my surly with another 2.3 conti on the rear. My rims are mavic 517 ceramics, and I have had zero problems with the 2.3 tires mounted on them. So here is my question, can i run a 2.5 conti on the front with the 517 rim. I was wondering because the 517's are not very wide rims and i dont want to run into a problem on the bead blowing of the rim while ridding. I like running low psi in my singlespeed tires, i curently run about 25psi in my 2.3's right now and will stick to about the same if I get a 2.5 front tire. Im asking cause I know alot of you singlespeeders like to run wide tires as do I.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Your 517s are 21.8mm wide and on Shiggys site one of the comparisions he does (under effect of rim on tire width) is a Nokian Gazzaloddi 2.6 on a 22 mm rim. I don't know if that was just for his test or if it's ok to ride 'em like that. If it was me, I'd get Shiggys input before I rode 'em.

For what it's worth , mine are 2.5 tire on a 29 and a 2.6 on a 36mm up front, just like 'em bigger!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I run Gazza 3.0 on a 19mm rim with verry low pressure and no problems so far... But the gazza has a significant sturdy casing that conti tires do not have... Test with a higher psi and then lower slowly until you find the sweetspot...
    Rip the bring!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

you can also do an old school trick...

that is to carefully score the rim bead with a pair of vise grips. This comprimises the rim very little and allows this type of set up. The cut down Bontrager rims benefited the most from this modification

VTW

Reviewer/Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by surlyboy
    Hey all, I know this belong in the wheels/tires forum but it relates to singlespeeds. I am currently running a 2.3 conti vertical pro on the front of my surly with another 2.3 conti on the rear. My rims are mavic 517 ceramics, and I have had zero problems with the 2.3 tires mounted on them. So here is my question, can i run a 2.5 conti on the front with the 517 rim. I was wondering because the 517's are not very wide rims and i dont want to run into a problem on the bead blowing of the rim while ridding. I like running low psi in my singlespeed tires, i curently run about 25psi in my 2.3's right now and will stick to about the same if I get a 2.5 front tire. Im asking cause I know alot of you singlespeeders like to run wide tires as do I.

I run my rigid SIR 9 SS with WTB Exi 2.3's at 20psi front and back. Wheels are AC's. No problems at all.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by victorthewombat
    that is to carefully score the rim bead with a pair of vise grips. This comprimises the rim very little and allows this type of set up. The cut down Bontrager rims benefited the most from this modification

VTW
    What are you talking about?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by surlyboy
    The beads will not blow off. If you are a jumper I would not use the wide tire/narrow rim combo as the tires can roll off more easily. Not an issue for most riders for most riding.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0