Is the WI FW Removal Tool necessary?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Is the WI FW Removal Tool necessary?

Seems like there has been conflicting opinions regarding the WI FW removal tool. Although it seems it is pretty necessary for the removal of the FW when installed on an Eccentric Hub- what about a traditional hub? I am not adverse to buying the tool but I would not want to spend the money to find out it doesn't work...

Thanks everyone!
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The tool is only for eccentric because it has a recessed part to clear the double axle thingy.

Duckin' Fonuts.
    Dec 2005
    And it is not necessary for the eccentric if you remove the alxe end. You need a 4 or 5 mm allen to remove the stainless axle end. Spin out the bolt that holds it in place and wiggle off the axle. "Thats what she said" Then any bmx fw tool will work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Thanks!

That's what I thought but the FW I have one there is showing its age- I have had it for years and it has been swapped several times but just thought I would ask as I think this removal will be tougher considering it has been a pretty long time since it has been swapped out...

mtbr member
    I tried to get along without it and almost trashed the hub trying to get the freewheel off. Seems a little pricey for what it is, but I highly recommend getting one. It just makes everything much easier.
    "The stupid shall be punished."

mtbr member
    within a few days I will put up a pictorial on how to remove the freewheel without the WI tool. All from your friendly Neighborhood Ernesto.

Exclusively Single
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    within a few days I will put up a pictorial on how to remove the freewheel without the WI tool. All from your friendly Neighborhood Ernesto.
    That's not a very good way to sell those things.

mtbr member

either or

Quote Originally Posted by long hazy daze
    4 years ago I figured out on how to remove it...I had posted it all on my now defunct hbfk.com website...but people are lazy and will use the specific ENO tool regardless.

Exclusively Single
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    4 years ago I figured out on how to remove it...I had posted it all on my now defunct hbfk.com website...but people are lazy and will use the specific ENO tool regardless.
    Did you call me lazy?

mtbr member

no

Did you call me lazy?
    no, some people can't fathon having to take apart a hub, and some people will start experimenting with parts...and some are mechanically inclined, but a little guidance never hurt.

poser Administrator
    I had to take a FW of an eccentric hub of a buddies before I realized there was a tool to do it. It was quite simple actually. I just removed the eccentric axle on the FW side and found a longer bolt in my "part archive" put it through my tool with a washer and proceeded to remove the FW like a regular FW hub.

Although that is less simple than buying the tool it is cheaper which is what I am all about, so I got that going for me.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Yeah but if I need a new FW...

I'll buy it from Ernesto! I was on the website for the first time a few days ago- Awesome!

Hey will you be selling chainrings? I still have my spare but I seem to be going through 2 a season!

Members who have read this thread: 0