mtbr member

Why would the SS category cost more to race?

Here is the pricing for a local race this weekend.(Denver) What gives?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    wow!

People over here in TX complain about high entry fees and we're only paying $25 to pre reg and $30 race day. Juniors are like 10 bucks. All other cats are the same.

mtbr member
    Yeah you guys got it good in TX. The cost of anything bike related here is more $$$. Don't even get me started on the cost of centuries.

I am the owl
    Looking at the chart I'm going to guess pricing is based on distance/number of laps.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontRanger
    Yeah you guys got it good in TX. The cost of anything bike related here is more $$$. Don't even get me started on the cost of centuries.
    The BV Bike Fest century is this Saturday. $37 seems pretty decent to me considering the provision of food and drinks at multiple rest stops, as well as a tshirt. Seems like a better deal than going around in circles on a short mountain bike course. Elephant Rock isn't much worse at $45...

baker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baker
    The BV Bike Fest century is this Saturday. $37 seems pretty decent to me considering the provision of food and drinks at multiple rest stops, as well as a tshirt. Seems like a better deal than going around in circles on a short mountain bike course. Elephant Rock isn't much worse at $45...

baker
    Those actually aren't bad. Some of them are upwards of $75. The goatneck in TX which is a great century is $20 for early registration ($25 normally). Another big one is the Hotter than Hell 100 which is $25/$30(early/normal). Not to get too off topic but Colorado just seems expensive for riding/racing in general. Just an observation.

the cool nerd
    Here is the pricing for a local race this weekend.(Denver) What gives?
    These prices suck. I know that they have some pretty high fees for that particular venue, but the only reason (IMHO) that they can get away with such exorbitant entry fees for this race is that it is a MSC race, so people have to enter it for points in the series. This course is horrible, unless something has greatly changed, you could defintely do the race on a cross bike, maybe even a road bike if you throw 30s on your wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    These prices suck. I know that they have some pretty high fees for that particular venue, but the only reason (IMHO) that they can get away with such exorbitant entry fees for this race is that it is a MSC race, so people have to enter it for points in the series. This course is horrible, unless something has greatly changed, you could defintely do the race on a cross bike, maybe even a road bike if you throw 30s on your wheels.
    A cross bike would win this race in any class in my opinion. And yes the MSC race fees definitely keep people like me from racing an entire series. Money can be better spent in my case.

Steamroller

Get a Clue!

The answer is very obvious! SS is way more fun, and you have to pay more for more fun!
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    The answer is very obvious! SS is way more fun, and you have to pay more for more fun!
    I guess they figure you have more money since you don't buy shifters and derailers.

Probably drunk right now

Solution...

I guess they figure you have more money since you don't buy shifters and derailers.
    Sign up for the Sport class and ride your SS. That will show them. Of course, you'll likely get the shorter course.

Also, what is the payout for the SS class vs. the sport class?

Ken

jl
    climb
    I think it is because the SS race is the same distance as the expert race thus the same price. This course is not a very good SS course, there is a long stretch of Big Gear grinding that will have you spinning at max rpms. There is aslo a short climb that will have you running up every lap.
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jl
    I think it is because the SS race is the same distance as the expert race thus the same price. This course is not a very good SS course, there is a long stretch of Big Gear grinding that will have you spinning at max rpms. There is aslo a short climb that will have you running up every lap.
    Yeah I have ridden the trail numerous times on the SS. Fun to ride but not so much to race I would think.

mtbr member
    I do not see the price as being higher. $38 for SS and $38 for the expert. According to my math skills that is the same price. And compared to the Pro cost of $40 it is actually lower.

Remember the sport category is not a race but just paying for a ride so you can not compare that to the price of a SS race. Anyone that "races" in sport is a jackball & wimp. Yes I know I am an arrogant SOB for this thought.

i like to bicycle

whats the distance

whats the distance for the race you posted the prices from? we're still a bit cheaper here in nebraska. i think i'll be in for $23 for my SS race tomorrow. but we're talking a 1.5hr sport class length race basically.

the laramie enduro is like $75 and that seems more then fair considering the feed zones and course length.

mtbr member
    Distance is 28 miles. I guess they assume you are expert if you race SS.

i like to bicycle

that's a pretty good length

maybe the fees seem appropriate then. here in neb we've been debating whether the SSers go with the experts or the sports. so far its with the sports, which is fine with me...we've got a fairly low number of SSers and we're all jackasses anyways...we can be drunk by the time the experts finish...bonus.