why so many rigid SS 29ers?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

why so many rigid SS 29ers?

Whats the deal with so many people riding rigid SS 29ers? What is the advantage to having this kind of setup? And on the other side of this question why do we so rarely see SS full suspension? Just trying to get some insight since it is something I have noticed!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Riding a rigid SS will make you a better rider. You will learn to pick you lines better & learn to carry your momentum better. Also there is less maintenance to worry about. Plus riding a rigid SS is just plain fun & will make you fall in love with mountain biking all over again. One last thing, when climbing all the power you put to your pedals goes right to your back tire, no suspension bob.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The mentality of the SS lends itself to those that would want to keep their entire bike simple and go rigid front. The terrain that lends itself to a full suspension bike is usually very technical with large drops, steep climbs, big rocks, etc.

mtbr member
    I noticed friends and acquaintances that would ride SS. A couple told me that, once they built a single speed, they rarely rode their geared bike any more. I was 1 .tired of maintenance 2. feeling kinda zen simplicity about the whole thing 3. wanting to try something to improve my power riding instead of spinning. 4. wanting to try a 29'er

SS Fully Rigid 29er. Love it so far, but it is definitely out of my comfort zone.

Full suspension kinda conflicts with the simplicity of singlespeeding ... the addition of pivots, shocks, and also most pivot designs do not maintain a constant chain length so tesioners are needed.

WNC Native
    Agree with everything already mentioned. Also see my Sig below
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

local trails rider
    A singlespeeder often wants to keep the bike as simple as possible. Therefore rigid. I am told a 29er is smoother over small trail irregularities, so it makes the rigid less painful.

(I am still contemplating a fat tire rigid 26" bike...)

Over the bars...
    Personally I have only ridden a rigid SS 26er up to this point. This year I wanted a new bike and attempted to order a Kona Explosif frame to build up SS and keep with the known 26 inch wheels. I was unable to source one in my size due to popularity. Looking at the marketplace I was unable to find a viable option within my price range to keep with 26 inch wheels. This has pushed me into the 29er marketplace. I hope to pick up my already ordered Kona Unit this week. It would be nice if companies still gave both options but I think demand washed out on the 26 inch SS bikes so only a few still make them. I contemplated ordering an on-one inbred but decided i really liked this year's Unit so I went for something new...

mtbr member
    It just feels right.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Very few $$$
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    I have both a rigid SS and a FS-SS so I am not sure where this puts me. I ride the rigid 95% of the time, I built up the FS mostly for a trip to Moab, (nobody wants to ride porc on a rigid bike,) and just left it that way. I never rode it when it had gears so at least this way it will see the outside of my garage on occasion.

mtbr member
    I SS because I hate shifting, I ride a 29er because it just feels like it rolls more smoothly, I liked riding full rigid because of the simplicity, but I switched to a short travel suspension fork a week ago to decrease fatigue on my forearms so far the jury is still out. If I were younger I think I'd still be riding full rigid.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    I dunno, i still love my 26er with the squish in the front. It's just wayyyy too rocky out here to be competetive on a rigid bike, and i just didnt like my 29er. I could imagine rigid being an advantage if your terrain is fast and flowy, but that's hardly the case out here.
    But it's not about competiton for everyone, so maybe you'll enjoy it.

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    I almost bought a Mary 29er SS when I decided to get another MTB but I went with what I knew, change is scary!!! So I got a bike I've always wanted, a Rockhopper Comp. Great bike but the stock components kinda sucked. I decided not to play the upgrade game so I converted it to an SS mainly out of curiosity but I liked the idea of simplicity. Now with a couple rides around the neighborhood and some trail time I'm pretty hooked. Of course now I'm thinking "why didn't I get the Mary 29er from the get go?" LOL Now, of course I want to build up a rigid 29er SS because bikes might as well be crack....
    Robb
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    Canondale Synapse w/DuraAce goodness

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    I dunno, i still love my 26er with the squish in the front. It's just wayyyy too rocky out here to be competetive on a rigid bike, and i just didnt like my 29er. I could imagine rigid being an advantage if your terrain is fast and flowy, but that's hardly the case out here.
    But it's not about competiton for everyone, so maybe you'll enjoy it.
    I agree; I think this is an important point. Think about how you ride and what you enjoy the most.

My trails are very rocky too, but my favorite part of riding isn't racing and overall speed but working the bike and throwing it around to maneuver through and over obstacles and drops, which I find even more fun on a rigid bike. If I wanted to be a competitive racer I would give up rigid because does make it hard to ride safely and comfortably at competitive speeds.

then again, riding a rigid SS could effect you enough to totally change those preferences and priorities

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I went SS for simplicity. I have to admit when I came back to MTB. I liked the price as well. I was curious about the 29'er thing and a little skeptical as well. I bought a Redline Monocog Flight 29 because it could be fitted with a rear derailler so that option was there if I wanted to back to gears. I have to say as soon as i rode the bike I could easliy feel the difference. It rolled better and carried speed very well. I have since fitted it with a carbon rigid fork from Exotic. And a Maddux set of wheels. I also started to race it in the single speed cat 2 series. It is a whole new way of riding. But it did light a fire for me again about the MTB after going only Road for a while. And the lack of maintnence is really sweet. When I wanna ride I just pull it of the rack put air in the tires and go.

And as far as the whole ridgid thing goes. The carbon fork is nice. But my bike came with a steel fork which was ok. The carbon is a bit nicer ride. It is not nor is it meant to be a magic carpet ride. Riding rigid has made me become a better bike handler. I ride only xc. So no big drops or jumps. But I have gotten many comments at the races. Like "holy ****" as I pass on a down hill or an uphill on the Rigid SS.

Ride what you Love, And love what you Ride.

Cheers
    Never Forget......343...Rest easy Lads You Dun Good!

Omaha Mountains
    Apr 2010
    Your mind leaves "the Zone" a lot less often when there are no gears or noisy drive-train issues. Maintenance is easy and less expensive and I can't lie: a bike looks darn sexy when it is boiled down to its true and simple essence. 29er and rigid matches up well because the bigger tires make the ride less harsh so you can go rigid without a lot of the pain that riding rigid on small wheels often entails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorCatholic
    Your mind leaves "the Zone" a lot less often when there are no gears or noisy drive-train issues. Maintenance is easy and less expensive and I can't lie: a bike looks darn sexy when it is boiled down to its true and simple essence. 29er and rigid matches up well because the bigger tires make the ride less harsh so you can go rigid without a lot of the pain that riding rigid on small wheels often entails.
    Ya know, I haven't thought of it in that term "zone", but it is true. I am to the point where I don't try to ghost shift anymore, so it is all trail, bike and effort. I love it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Clean ,mean exercise machine.

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    Quote Originally Posted by LIFECYCLE
    Clean ,mean exercise machine.
    Isn't that the truth. You definitely get much more of a workout pedaling a SS.
    Robb

dragin' fly
    why so many rigid SS 29ers?

why not?

singlespeed is dead. so i am just chillin', waiting for another cream puff rigid SS 29er frameset to pop up on the classifieds.

mtbr member
    I simply don't like the feel of suspension, it takes the feeling of riding a bike out of riding a bike......... Anesthitized......... Numb............... Boring............ And like gears, it is a crutch for the weak.
    Last edited by hallowedpoint; 04-20-2010 at 02:07 AM.

mtbr member
    ...because they go together like peanut butter and jelly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    because they are the shiz...just to put it in few words.
    Jimmy for president!

Ovaries on the Outside
    So you could post a thread for people to respond to.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    cause we are men, we ride single geared suspensionless bikes with big wheels with a beer in the bottle cage and our chest hair in the wind.

??...new old spice comercial idea...??

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hallowedpoint
    I simply don't like the feel of suspention, it takes the feeling of riding a bike out of riding a bike......... Anesthitized......... Numb............... Boring............ And like gears, it is a crutch for the weak.
    You're so hardcore that suspension isn't even in your vocabulary... literally.

Get off your high horse already.

mtbr member
    You're so hardcore that suspension isn't even in your vocabulary... literally.

Get off your high horse already.
    You, apparently scroll the forums correcting spelling and I'm the one on the high horse?

mtbr member
    All posturing aside, I always associated SS riding with a lot of out-of-saddle riding, and rigid is ideal for that (unless you have a good suspension system that can take care of bobing).
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'd love to go back 20 years to show ourselves the (d)evolution of biking. Granted, there were not 29ers back then to smooth out the bumps, but I still remember the addition of a Mag20 allowed me to feel my forearms after long descents. I'll stick with my hardtail SS with sus fork for rocky conditions.

Jul 2006
    You, apparently scroll the forums correcting spelling and I'm the one on the high horse?
    If you're going to insult people, especially those who are probably much stronger than yourself, you may want to at least use correct grammar.
    You live in Florida, the flattest state in the country. You can probably live with rigid just fine. I rode rigid for many years, before i even had an option. Now I'm to the point where i prefer to go fast down hill, and i really don't care who you are, you're probably not going to come close to beating a good rider with a suspension fork down our long rocky decents.
    But like i said, to each his own. Some people prefer the rigid and i can understand why, but it's not for me. And who the hell are you or I to judge someone because of what bike they ride?

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    All posturing aside, I always associated SS riding with a lot of out-of-saddle riding, and rigid is ideal for that (unless you have a good suspension system that can take care of bobing).
    I'm usually in saddle untill the point where you really dont have much weight on the front end at all, so i have really never noticed any suspension bob. But i do keep my fork relatively firm, and i do have stable platform valving.

Omaha Mountains
    Apr 2010
    hallowedpoint and ISuckAtRiding:

For the sake of the newbies who come to these forums, let's remember that we're all here because we love to ride. There's no reason for snobbery one way or the other as the best bike is the one that gets you out on the trails, whether that's a Wally-World special or a custom $8,000 rig. As much as I enjoy riding my rigid SS 29er, it's not ideal for all riding conditions. Although I sometimes wish I had the money to own a whole fleet of bikes, the vast majority of my riding is perfectly suited by my current bike. With that said, I didn't spend $2,500 on my current bike because of some misplaced thoughts on this setup being somehow superior to my suspension riding buddies on the trail, I paid that much because I felt it was the setup that would get me out on the trails the most. As for the argument of one bike being better/faster/more efficient/etc. than another, often times we'll never really know for sure. At the very least, we can all take solace in the fact that the top pros could most likely beat the vast majority of us while riding a WalMart bike.

In summary, don't come into a "rigid SS 29er" thread expecting people not to be passionate about said setups and don't come into a niche thread expecting people to be ok with being condescending towards people who ride other setups.

As a final word, the ultimate bike is the one that gets you out on the trail, leaving you wishing for ever more saddle time.

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by DJP412
    Riding a rigid SS will make you a better rider. You will learn to pick you lines better & learn to carry your momentum better. Also there is less maintenance to worry about. Plus riding a rigid SS is just plain fun & will make you fall in love with mountain biking all over again. One last thing, when climbing all the power you put to your pedals goes right to your back tire, no suspension bob.
    +11111

You really captured it well.

29 does smooth the trail out a smidge, and provide a little more climbing traction, which is paramount to any SS'er.

Rigid is great, until the trail is fast and steep down, then it is quite punishing. By summertime, I'll move the sussy fork onto the bike, then off it goes for winter.

mtbr member
    If you're going to insult people, especially those who are probably much stronger than yourself, you may want to at least use correct grammar.
    You live in Florida, the flattest state in the country. You can probably live with rigid just fine. I rode rigid for many years, before i even had an option. Now I'm to the point where i prefer to go fast down hill, and i really don't care who you are, you're probably not going to come close to beating a good rider with a suspension fork down our long rocky decents.
    But like i said, to each his own. Some people prefer the rigid and i can understand why, but it's not for me. And who the hell are you or I to judge someone because of what bike they ride?
    Since some people are obviosly VERY sensitive.
    Let me just say, when I said. "it is a crutch for the weak."
    I meant this as kind of a tounge in cheek type jab. I do not judge, nor pressume to be better than anyone by what kind of bike they, or I ride. If you ride the trails I consider you a brother or sister.
    My deepest apology to those offended by it, and or, my grammar.

So unwad your panties I.S.A.R.!!
    Last edited by hallowedpoint; 04-20-2010 at 10:40 AM.

Yo.
    At least he let you get away with "Anesthitized"
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    Since some people are obviosly VERY sensitive.
    Let me just say, when I said. "it is a crutch for the weak."
    I meant this as kind of a tounge in cheek type jab. I do not judge, nor pressume to be better than anyone by what kind of bike they, or I ride. If you ride the trails I consider you a brother or sister.
    My deepest apology to those offended by it, and or, my grammar.

So unwad your panties I.S.A.R.!!
    just remember that sarcastic jabs rarely come across that way in written text unless you go over the top with it or add winking smilies. You will keep running into people who seem "very sensitive" if you keep making comments that can easily be read as offensive without knowing how you really meant it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    just remember that sarcastic jabs rarely come across that way in written text unless you go over the top with it or add winking smilies. You will keep running into people who seem "very sensitive" if you keep making comments that can easily be read as offensive without knowing how you really meant it
    Got it,................. thanks More smileys

Oh, and as far as Florida goes, I think many of you would be suprised. Very few are willing to ride rigid here (i'm not trying to sound hardcore ISAR just pointing out a noticeable fact)

mtbr member
    Hallowedpoint, all due respect to you and Florida riders, but your highest point in FL is 345ft. That type of elevation limitation (and the native trail types found within FL) lends itself to a rigid SS setup perfectly. Whether or not people prefer to ride rigid in FL is beside the point, as to each his own. The simple point that FL riding is more suited to SS rigid for most than trails mostly found in CO, AZ, CA , UT etc is a valid one.

Side note: I've been to, and ridden in, FL.

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by DJP412
    While that is all true, you can have more fun and learn to be a better rider on a 26er moreso than a 29er. The 29er is somewhat of a handicap for those learning to improve their skills.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    I also have a geared 26-inch FS, and the SS 29er rigid is a completely different experience. This may be the case for a lot of rigid riders - they started on suspension, wanted some variety on the local trail rides, and went to the other extreme.

mtbr member
    anyone have pictures?
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcaz
    Hallowedpoint, all due respect to you and Florida riders, but your highest point in FL is 345ft. That type of elevation limitation (and the native trail types found within FL) lends itself to a rigid SS setup perfectly. Whether or not people prefer to ride rigid in FL is beside the point, as to each his own. The simple point that FL riding is more suited to SS rigid for most than trails mostly found in CO, AZ, CA , UT etc is a valid one.

Side note: I've been to, and ridden in, FL.
    I agree with all of this 100%^^.
    All I meant by "I think many would be suprised" is that it is better riding than one might think, bieng so flat. We do the best with what we got.

Maybe that is why I have a little more contempt for all the pu$$ies around here with their 5&6 inch travel bikes.

Is that better?
    Last edited by hallowedpoint; 04-20-2010 at 04:44 PM.

mtbr member
    I agree with all of this 100%^^.
    All I meant by "I think many would be suprised" is that it is better riding than one might think, bieng so flat. We do the best with what we got.

Maybe that is why I have a little more contempt for all the pu$$ies around here with their 5&6 inch travel bikes.

Is that better?

It is. Rock on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by the5ifty
    cause we are men, we ride single geared suspensionless bikes with big wheels with a beer in the bottle cage and our chest hair in the wind.

??...new old spice comercial idea...??
    F'ing hilarious...this made the whole thread worth it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Matt
    anyone have pictures?
    Of their "Rigid 29 incher"?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxking45
    Here ya go

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Bud light presents...real men of genius. Today we salute you Mr. Rider of the rigid single speed big-wheeled fat tire flyer. You're tough, you're manly, and you soak up every rock, root, log and ground hog like a sponge soaks up maple syrup. While others cruise on a cadillac with air-controlled ride, you prefer the ride of a M35A2 AM General "Deuce and a Half", 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck. So keep on keeping it real oh trekker of the trail. Because if it wasn't for you, we wouldn't have anyone wearing flannel shirts on the trail. Mr. Rider of the rigid single speed big-wheeled fat tire flyer

mtbr member
    I ride rigid in short because:

Soul Cycles Dillinger fork = $60
    Fox F29 >$600

Ron
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_MurdocChongo
    Bud light presents...real men of genius. Today we salute you Mr. Rider of the rigid single speed big-wheeled fat tire flyer. You're tough, you're manly, and you soak up every rock, root, log and ground hog like a sponge soaks up maple syrup. While others cruise on a cadillac with air-controlled ride, you prefer the ride of a M35A2 AM General "Deuce and a Half", 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck. So keep on keeping it real oh trekker of the trail. Because if it wasn't for you, we wouldn't have anyone wearing flannel shirts on the trail. Mr. Rider of the rigid single speed big-wheeled fat tire flyer
    that'd make a good signature

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I like to ride the bike not work on it all the time also to save money on repair cost. I started riding 18 months ago, parts/work list...(1) front and (2) rear derailluers, (2) hangers, gear cables (1), adjust the shifters, derailluers (??), had to order and change the fork oil (1) I couldn't find it local. Rode SS for the first time on Monday 4/19/2010 what a blast.

mtbr member
    L-O- Freakin-L............. You Rule!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    [high pitched voice] its really bumpy! [/high pitched voice]

The real reason is because their trendy wheels already soak up all the bumps that they don't need suspension, and the added rigidity makes up for the lack of performance and retarded wheel flex. Also, there's nothing more trendy and cool than a 29'r ss rigid, your pretty much the coolest of tools if your riding that.

-Connor
    Last edited by conbon; 04-26-2010 at 07:32 AM.

Low Rep Count
    Tried it, too long for a signature! Damn good story though!

Low Rep Count
    Personally, I tried a 29er but it just felt too big for me. So my set up is a 26er ss but only riding a 1.8 on the rear and a 2.1 on the front so I guess that is fairly narrow tires. Always ridden a hard tail. The trails in my immediate area don't require a soft tail though I swear everyone has one out there! Bunch of Lazy Boy reclining weekend warriors I tell ya! Then again, I do like the Ellsworth fs set ups though. But I refuse to buy on living out here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Ya, I live in the midwest, basically the farthest thign from MOUNTAIN biking, its basically dirt-pathing. We have about a 50/50 split of HT/FS bikes, and you almost never see anyone riding a fully rigid bike, its freaking rediculous! Also, 29'rs are the cool thing around here, I've heard they're not as popular out on each coasts. At my shop, probably 9 out of the last 10 mountain bikes we've sold have 29'rs, we can barely keep them in stock. My manager rides a rigid 29'r ss, I just got a 26" rigid fixed gear that I'm looking forward to trying out on the trails once it stops raining.

-Connor

Low Rep Count
    Don't get me wrong, I could get away with riding a fs out here but I hvae learned to ride a ht over the same terrain. We have a few places where a fs would be much nicer but they are farther away from my house and I don't go there much at all. I have trails within riding distance from my house that a rigid could handle but since I had a shock on my ht I just swaped it out and stuck it on my new ss that I picked up yesterday. Of course, it is raining here so I have yet to really ride mine either.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by conbon
    ...its basically dirt-pathing.
    LOL! Love it. It would kill the sport to call it that, but it is spot on.

I am going dirt-pathing after work today, btw.

Expert Crasher
    Well done
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right
    (nobody wants to ride porc on a rigid bike,) .
    I just tried that trail (Porcupine Rim) on my rigid ss 29er last weekend - it worked great. I used 2.2 tires and Ergon grips and I felt just fine after - fresh enough to do another big ride the next morning. Now I will admit that I was not as quite as fast on some of the downhill as I am with a suspension fork, but it was just as much fun. The only real downside of the bike on that ride was being way under-geared on some of the flat dirt road leading to the trail and then on the road ride back into town.

mtbr member
    ^ so true. Porcupine Rim was a blast rigid.

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick

I am going dirt-pathing after work today, btw.
    So am I but the paths go up a bunch of hills.

That is pretty spot on. I guess "technical dirt-pathing" would be with ramps, berms and all that?
    Robb

smell the saddle...
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    While that is all true, you can have more fun and learn to be a better rider on a 26er moreso than a 29er. The 29er is somewhat of a handicap for those learning to improve their skills.
    You could go half-way and go fully rigid 650b, which is where I am heading next after riding 26er full rigid for a few years. I don't see the need for full 29er, but 650b gives me a little more.

mtbr member
    you may need to be careful where you brandish that thing.
    Ride & Smile

Did I catch a niner+?
    Well a rigid fork is far better on a uphill ride, I think we can all agree on this. This is also were most SS riders will struggle but with a rigid fork we can be that much more effecient.

A 29er gives us the other thing we need, momentum and a lot of it.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

I like turtles
    Hallowedpoint - what is your wheel set up on that 'cog?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo
    Hallowedpoint - what is your wheel set up on that 'cog?
    36 hole ZTR Flows w/ hope pro 2 (the ss/trials rear).
    Just got em a month ago and a little disapointed.
    They, (rims) are not as strong as I thought/need them to be.
    But I'm lovin the Hopes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Simplicity and speed.

Pwning Trails
    Awesome !

Low Rep Count
    I guess I am just somewhat old school (to a degree), I mean, I swapped out the rigid front in favor of my shock from my xc bike but went with a 26r. I played around on a 29 last year and it just felt too tall. Everything just felt big to me. Sure, it went over some things a little easier but to me that took out part of the challenge of riding the trails (just as a shock does to some degree I guess). What I am struggling with is how tall most of the front ends are on alot of the bikes I see on the trails. Guys are running 6-10 degrees raised stems with 1-1.5" raised bars w/ a 29r and some with a 100+mm shock. I see handle bars up higher than seats on alot of these and just can't figure out how anyone can even get leverage to hop over anything.

now I say old school because I have been a roadie for most of my adult riding days so I am used to or at least used to be used to being hunched over with my seat slightly higher than my bars. I also run a fairly narrow bar as well (about 26") that is flat with a 6 degree Thompson stem flipped upside down to make it close to parallel with the ground. To me, it just works. Everything else feels tall and awkward.

I can say that over the past 3 rides on my SS, I have gotten stronger in the cardio area for sure. My handling skills have definitely sharpened as well as my ability to pick cleaner lines to help maintain speed since momentum is so important. This alone has made the whole switch over to SS worth it imo!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Ss Love

Whats the deal with so many people riding rigid SS 29ers? What is the advantage to having this kind of setup? And on the other side of this question why do we so rarely see SS full suspension? Just trying to get some insight since it is something I have noticed!
    My only bike at the moment is a Moots Mooto-X-Ybb slider, and its been a year since iv'e had gears. The love continues but its time for some gears, summer is coming! The SS brings so much fun and excitment to riding that I will never be without a SS.

Currently in Exile
    Because you can never have enough bikes!

Blur Classic (full suspension 26er)
    GF Cobia (hardtail geared 29er)
    Surly 1X1 (fully rigid 26er)
    GT Peace 9r (rigid 29er)
    Specialized Tarmac (CF road rocket)
    Shogun (steel SS/fixed roadie/commuter ride)

For those complaining that 29ers feel too big, I don't get it. I'm 5'6" tall and find both 29ers to handle quite nicely. Are they better than the 26ers? No, I don't think so. But they are different, and that makes riding the same trails more interesting.

That, and I'm faster on the local loop on my Surly than on my Blur. Time will tell if that hold true for the GT.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    Is the 26er a handicap for those learning to improve their skills on a 24er? And supposedly more fun?

Ride what you got. I prefer 29ers, but have no problems with people that like 26ers. Until they start spewing out "more fun" or "handicap" crap. Same goes for SS vs geared, mtb vs roadie, etc.

wheelmanron
    May 2009
    My wife asked me if we ride together. I don't know if I should feel complimented or embarrassed. Great post by the way. I love it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm pretty sure that message shouldn't be brought to us by Bud light....i'm thinking...

"Surly Brewing presents...."

mtbr member
    I wanted to build a new bike, and wanted to try single speed. I put the word out to some friends for suggestions on frames. One showed me the Vassago Jabberwocky and I was in love. I thought it would be fun to do a 29er anyway, so it was perfect. I set out to build it with a suspended fork but I was up against the high end of my budget for the build so I decided to try a rigid fork. I figured I'd get a suspended fork within a few months, but as it turned out, I liked riding rigid so much I've never given buying a suspended fork for it another thought.

I favor slow speed technical/rocky riding - I'm not a jumper or a downhill bomber. The feel of the trail and that bike makes every mile a ton of fun. My FS bike just hangs on the wall in the garage - I think I rode it in October last . I would sell it but I won't get enough money out of it to make it worth it and it's good to have a backup bike I guess .
    :wq

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    I wanted to build a new bike, and wanted to try single speed. I put the word out to some friends for suggestions on frames. One showed me the Vassago Jabberwocky and I was in love. I thought it would be fun to do a 29er anyway, so it was perfect. I set out to build it with a suspended fork but I was up against the high end of my budget for the build so I decided to try a rigid fork. I figured I'd get a suspended fork within a few months, but as it turned out, I liked riding rigid so much I've never given buying a suspended fork for it another thought.

I favor slow speed technical/rocky riding - I'm not a jumper or a downhill bomber. The feel of the trail and that bike makes every mile a ton of fun. My FS bike just hangs on the wall in the garage - I think I rode it in October last . I would sell it but I won't get enough money out of it to make it worth it and it's good to have a backup bike I guess .
    This is my story ... almost exactly. Boise trails are not very technical, but I can tell you that the rigid Jabber flies on swoopy downhills. I think I am faster downhill on this bike than my Epic ... which I last rode in October.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    This is my story ... almost exactly. Boise trails are not very technical, but I can tell you that the rigid Jabber flies on swoopy downhills. I think I am faster downhill on this bike than my Epic ... which I last rode in October.
    It always cracks me up that we both had an Epic and moved on to the same SS frame. I did a full service on the jabber over the weekend so I'm ready to crank out some dirt riding. I hope the snow melts soon so I can get some decent Tahoe riding in before July

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    hey i lived in boise until last summer and i am moving back this summer. ur right the trails are not to technical. i rode a rigid ss 26er there just fine.
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    It always cracks me up that we both had an Epic and moved on to the same SS frame. I did a full service on the jabber over the weekend so I'm ready to crank out some dirt riding. I hope the snow melts soon so I can get some decent Tahoe riding in before July
    Tahoe? Dang! I have always wanted to ride there. Let me know when you go. I could maybe drive down there.

Members who have read this thread: 0